Roster Talk: Nearing the 20 game mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
does Dean have the balls to trade him, though? he said a few times that the Richards 'mistake' caused him to question his own judgement and it seems that the more he loves a player, the harder it is to make objective decisions regarding said player. in the case of Brown (whom Dean loves), how likely is it that he's traded? will Dean have the resolve to move one of his favorites? I honestly dont know

Don't know if it comes down to dean having the balls but more who woudl take the guy. Or how much would need to be added to brown to gets someone to take him, and would that then make any sense

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
King skating at practice today so a great sign for him.

In my perfect world, King would replace Nolan in the lineup and Mersch stays in, but I highly doubt Sutter will go down that route.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
King skating at practice today so a great sign for him.

In my perfect world, King would replace Nolan in the lineup and Mersch stays in, but I highly doubt Sutter will go down that route.

Nolan has been healthy scratched before. It would not surprise me at all.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
But was he scratched for a rookie very often?

not sure...maybe but doubt it. When was the last time LA had a forward rookie pushing for a roster spot? maybe Andy A last year, but Mersch is a lot better than him.
I think Mersch will get sent back down when King returns. Likely the best call is to keep him playing big minutes in the AHL. This stint has hopefully given him a taste and an idea of what kind of work is needed on and off the ice. will help his development.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
the kings are adding to brown as they would need to in order to unload him.
Bob miller screws up 1's and 7's constantly.

Yes Miller get's some numbers wrong from time to time.

Wasn't Dion the defender Nolan chipped the puck by and went in for an uncontested shot on Bernier? That's a play I expect from Ehrhoff/McBain... Dion at $7M getting burned by Nolan is frightening.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yes Miller get's some numbers wrong from time to time.

Wasn't Dion the defender Nolan chipped the puck by and went in for an uncontested shot on Bernier? That's a play I expect from Ehrhoff/McBain... Dion at $7M getting burned by Nolan is frightening.

With the way Brown's game has deteriorated at $5.875 till 2022 frightens me more than Dion at $7M till 2021.

IMO Dion is worth more than $1.125 more than Brown. Both are overpaid but one still can play more important minutes and fills more of a team need IMO

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
id really rather we just not take more gambles on giant contracts period, but that's just me.

if you're gonna pay the big bucks going forward, make sure you know what you're getting - not just a "well he COULD be good in our system" who also costs an arm and a leg in cap space.

dont forget, Lucic is only costing us ~3M in cap right now for what's basically a 1 year trial run. You aren't getting that flexibility with any of these names being thrown around.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
id really rather we just not take more gambles on giant contracts period, but that's just me.

if you're gonna pay the big bucks going forward, make sure you know what you're getting - not just a "well he COULD be good in our system" who also costs an arm and a leg in cap space.

dont forget, Lucic is only costing us ~3M in cap right now for what's basically a 1 year trial run. You aren't getting that flexibility with any of these names being thrown around.

I think with Dion you know what you are going to get. A guy who can play against top level competition but can occasionally make some bad gafs. His is a guy who is in over his head as a #1, but with LA would not need to worry about that.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Brown is 8th on the team in assists. 6th for just forwards. That's total or at ES. While primarily playing on a line that does not or cannot score. Whether it's Pearson, or Lewis, or Andreoff, or Shore, or Brown himself, nothing has clicked offensively on that line.

There's really no other place to play him though. Too many guys on the left side already. Toffoli and Carter seem welded at the hip. Again, can't really move Gaborik. All the more LW's when King gets back too.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
I think with Dion you know what you are going to get. A guy who can play against top level competition but can occasionally make some bad gafs. His is a guy who is in over his head as a #1, but with LA would not need to worry about that.

yeah but why take on a relatively bad contract (Phaneuf himself isn't bad as a player, but he's definitely overpaid) if you don't have to? Only "good" scenario is Brown going the other way, meaning you're also giving away prospects/picks/other roster players just to add another ~2M onto our already tight cap situation for a guy who could realistically be Matt Greene with more offensive potential in a year or two. If this was like Byfuglien with that contract you'd maybe have something, but 7M for a high-end #2 is ludicrous. For example, Seabrook doesn't even make that much on his new (terrible) contract, and I think most would agree that he's better than Phaneuf.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Phaneuf still could contribute. He is the LH d-man the Kings could use with Doughty. Yes he makes a little more than Brown but he would also likely be contributing more than Brown is doing in his current role.

I don't think Toronto would do it through, they get very little cap relief and adding fringe NHL'ers with very limited upside in Weal and Forbort doesn't really help them much.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
and what is going on with Brown?
Would rahter have an overpaid #4 (at worse) d-man than an overpaid #9 (at best) forward

If I had to choose between Phaneuf and Brown, easily Dion. But there's no way Toronto, or any other team in the league, is going to take on Brown's contract without repercussions against us.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If I had to choose between Phaneuf and Brown, easily Dion. But there's no way Toronto, or any other team in the league, is going to take on Brown's contract without repercussions against us.

I agree.
That's why the original post was brown + weal + cocktails to get the leafs drunk first. you know Bill Cosby them

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
that's the thing - both contracts are objectively bad, and Brown is probably worth less than Phaneuf right now, but is it worth what we'd have to throw in to sweeten the deal, plus the extra cap space we'd be taking on?

i don't see a way that it makes sense outside of this immediate season, and if that's the case then why wouldn't we go after a better rental like Byfuglien (for example) instead who doesn't come with a massive contract through the next several years?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
that's the thing - both contracts are objectively bad, and Brown is probably worth less than Phaneuf right now, but is it worth what we'd have to throw in to sweeten the deal, plus the extra cap space we'd be taking on?

i don't see a way that it makes sense outside of this immediate season, and if that's the case then why wouldn't we go after a better rental like Byfuglien (for example) instead who doesn't come with a massive contract through the next several years?

If we bring in a player like Dion/Girardi/Staal in order to get rid of brown. LA could than move out martinez this offseason to help restock the prospect pool and get cap space needed for Lucic/Kopitar

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
You guys are assuming Toronto isn't one of the 8 teams that Brown wouldn't allow a trade to. It's better with Babcock there, but still...

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
You guys are assuming Toronto isn't one of the 8 teams that Brown wouldn't allow a trade to. It's better with Babcock there, but still...

I am assuming a lot...like Toronto would have any interest in brown to begin with. That Sutter knowing exactly what went on in Calgary would want Dion in the room. That any of this is plausible.

HF is meant to assume things

Winger23

May 3, 2007
If we bring in a player like Dion/Girardi/Staal in order to get rid of brown. LA could than move out martinez this offseason to help restock the prospect pool and get cap space needed for Lucic/Kopitar

Yes sounds brilliant. Let's trade or number3 dman and bring in crap to replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad