Roster Talk: Nearing the 20 game mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Can't wait until the Kings trade for Johansen and win the cup

The kid is obviously damaged goods, but that was only an example of the type of deal that it would have to be for the Kings.

I know the word "example" escapes the understanding of some here, but glad the Kings look like they are willing to pay $80M over 8 years for one or two more kicks at the can. Bring on the next lockout in 4 or 5 years, because the Kings are going to need it.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Dustin Brown's ice time continues to fall. He is heading towards Mike Richards territory.

I had High hopes for Brown this season, o well.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Dustin Brown's ice time continues to fall. He is heading towards Mike Richards territory.

true. more i think about it: what if it's this undefined "role" in the team, role on ice? it seems like he's a litmus paper for bottom six, for sutter. he is taking a heavy burden of mixing lines so far this season, like a babysitter. and with some results: he and shore are doing very good, others seem to blossom with that couple.

i don't have a personal agenda for brown, it's just the enigma with his corsi-related stats which are brilliant. it's hard to swallow it.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

Brown's on target for fewer goals per game then Richards in his last year here.

Richards last full year here (13-14) he put up 11 Goals, 30 Assists. Everyone here would be ecstatic if Brown somehow got 41 points this season.

Brown may have already gone beyond Richards at this point.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah, it's a shame because he put in the work in the off season. When he signed his deal during the lockout shortened season he had been great (on a 30-goal pace), but since then he has declined dramatically. He just doesn't seem to have the hands anymore to score in tight.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It's not work ethic or conditioning that does these guys in, that gets way overrated on these boards because people thought it was the reason Richards fell off a cliff. Conditioning was not the reason that Mike Richards couldn't handle a pass or play his position in the defensive zone, and it's not the reason Brown can't score anymore, Sadly, it's just Brown reaching the last leg of his NHL career, remember Brown broke in at 18, he will be nearing 900 games by the end of this season, there are a lot of miles on his body.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It's not work ethic or conditioning that does these guys in, that gets way overrated on these boards because people thought it was the reason Richards fell off a cliff. Conditioning was not the reason that Mike Richards couldn't handle a pass or play his position in the defensive zone, and it's not the reason Brown can't score anymore, Sadly, it's just Brown reaching the last leg of his NHL career, remember Brown broke in at 18, he will be nearing 900 games by the end of this season, there are a lot of miles on his body.

For some guys it's their skating that goes first, for others it's their hands.

Some just don't treat their bodies the way they should to maintain their play at an NHL-level.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Would be nice to pull a Clarkson for Horton type of move involving Brown for a player who can be put on LTIR. As instrumental as he was for the Cup runs, his dead cap space is a hindrance to the team moving forward and they have to find a way to get rid of him in order to retain Kopitar, Lucic, Toffoli, Pearson, etc.

You can't burn almost $6M on a guy who will give you two goals when reaching mid-way through the season. It's just poor investment. He's become a more expensive John Zeiler. I don't know if it is his body not having much left, I think as a player he has just gotten worse in every area, particularly his decision making when it comes to shot selection and his pass attempts (whenever he does decide to pass the puck).

Sadly his biggest highlight this season will be burning Ryan Johansen in OT with his tic-tac-toe passing between himself, Shore and Martinez.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
His drop in shooting percentage has been monumental.

12-13: 12.7%
13-14: 7.7%
14-15: 5.8%
15-16: 2.2%

By next season his shooting percentage will drop into negative numbers.

What's comical is that Brown is second on the team in shots with 93, trailing Carter's team leading 98 shots on goal. What an embarrassment.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
The most frustrating part about Brown is that you could play him in the top 6 if he deferred to the other guys on the line... Kopitar/Gaborik, or Carter/Toffoli. Really all Brown has to do is get those guys the puck and head to the net. He's probably not going to get great numbers on his own, but that's all that's holding him out of the top 6 and getting some decent chances. He still has everything he needs to get 30-40 points a year riding shotgun in the top 6.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Physically, Brown looks fine to me 900 games or not. It looks to me like he has just forgotten how to play hockey. The stress on him has to be enormous. Not sure where the Kings can go with him though.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Physically, Brown looks fine to me 900 games or not. It looks to me like he has just forgotten how to play hockey. The stress on him has to be enormous. Not sure where the Kings can go with him though.

Yeah it's strange. I mean, he's as fast and annoying as ever, and seems well conditioned, but he's not hitting and he's not getting to the net as evidenced by his shot distance. I wonder if any of the non-hitting is preservation, and then I see Lucic blowing people away and think that can't be it--but there are many times this year so far I've seen us doing skate-bys instead of finishing checks and it makes me wonder if that's either a. part of this years system to keep speed/pace up or b. a preservation strategy before we blast everyone into paste later on.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Yeah it's strange. I mean, he's as fast and annoying as ever, and seems well conditioned, but he's not hitting and he's not getting to the net as evidenced by his shot distance. I wonder if any of the non-hitting is preservation, and then I see Lucic blowing people away and think that can't be it--but there are many times this year so far I've seen us doing skate-bys instead of finishing checks and it makes me wonder if that's either a. part of this years system to keep speed/pace up or b. a preservation strategy before we blast everyone into paste later on.

Yeah - hopefully he'll start blasting people once the playoffs start (assuming we're in them :naughty:)

Ron*

Looking at the remaining schedule, we play Calgary to end the year, what could possibly go wrong?

Nothing. Kings will have clinched the division by then, and Calgary will be scrumming for a playoff spot with all the other stiffs in the Pathetic.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
The kid is obviously damaged goods, but that was only an example of the type of deal that it would have to be for the Kings.

I know the word "example" escapes the understanding of some here, but glad the Kings look like they are willing to pay $80M over 8 years for one or two more kicks at the can. Bring on the next lockout in 4 or 5 years, because the Kings are going to need it.

The Kings always win the cup when they trade for damaged goods from columbus.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
as long as it's Dean-level wizardry of "have this AHL player and a pick" for Johansen I'm fine with it.

would not give up anything tangible for a guy who isn't going to play to his full potential until he gets the massive contract he wants. Also, still don't see where he'd fit in, he's too good for 3rd line duties.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Brown + Weal + forbort + cocktails to Shanny for Dion

Dion made Bob Miller think Nolan was Kopitar. Don't want to go anywhere near Dion after that.

Then if the Kings can offload Brown....

Why are the Kings adding to Brown?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Dion made Bob Miller think Nolan was Kopitar. Don't want to go anywhere near Dion after that.

Then if the Kings can offload Brown....

Why are the Kings adding to Brown?

the kings are adding to brown as they would need to in order to unload him.
Bob miller screws up 1's and 7's constantly.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Would be nice to pull a Clarkson for Horton type of move involving Brown for a player who can be put on LTIR. As instrumental as he was for the Cup runs, his dead cap space is a hindrance to the team moving forward and they have to find a way to get rid of him in order to retain Kopitar, Lucic, Toffoli, Pearson, etc.

You can't burn almost $6M on a guy who will give you two goals when reaching mid-way through the season. It's just poor investment. He's become a more expensive John Zeiler. I don't know if it is his body not having much left, I think as a player he has just gotten worse in every area, particularly his decision making when it comes to shot selection and his pass attempts (whenever he does decide to pass the puck).

Sadly his biggest highlight this season will be burning Ryan Johansen in OT with his tic-tac-toe passing between himself, Shore and Martinez.

does Dean have the balls to trade him, though? he said a few times that the Richards 'mistake' caused him to question his own judgement and it seems that the more he loves a player, the harder it is to make objective decisions regarding said player. in the case of Brown (whom Dean loves), how likely is it that he's traded? will Dean have the resolve to move one of his favorites? I honestly dont know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad