WJC: Roster Talk '13 — Sweden

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
its not even funny how much better Sweden would be if a D pair of Brodin-Klefbom were on there. Just sucks two great youngsters who were key parts of the team that ended the drought can't be there to defend the title.

Welcome to how Canada feels every year lol

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I know Nilsson is a Leafs prospect and that he's seen as a pest who likes to play physically. I don't remember much of him because I only saw some video from development camp, but Leafs management apparently likes him a lot. In our camp he was really mixing it up and getting under peoples skin.

This is about all i know of Tom Nilsson...

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Not a joke, it`s sarcasm and perhaps I could have used that emotion to illustrate it, relax, all in fun

you would have to admit, it isn`t a traditional Swedish name unless I have missed something which is more than possible?

in Sweden its common to not have a 'swedish' surname, so your joke was just boring

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Not familiar with a lot of the blueliners. Can anyone give quick reports on them? What are the odds that Djoos ends up being the one who's cut?

Lindholm - one of the best D prospects in the world. Great puck-mover, decision-maker, all-around player. Clear cut #1.

Arnesson - defensively solid, had a good year both with national team and club.

Wikstrand - good puck-mover, great on the power play. Been putting up the points in SEL-2 this year.

Nilsson - Wikstrand's teammate, more of a safe-and-sound kind of guy. Been paired with Wikstrand a lot in the national team but sometimes with Mora as well.

Djuse - forward turned defenseman, rapid development and a real breakout year this year. Great passer, decent on the PP.

Pettersson - surprised a lot of people with his SEL play this year. A Rönnberg favourite. Reliable, at least with Swedish levels of physicality.

And Bengtsson and Djoos on that. I think Djoos will end up getting cut unless someone picks up an injury.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I know Nilsson is a Leafs prospect and that he's seen as a pest who likes to play physically. I don't remember much of him because I only saw some video from development camp, but Leafs management apparently likes him a lot. In our camp he was really mixing it up and getting under peoples skin.

Pest is probably pushing a bit too far.. but the guy is sound defensively and plays with some grit. He reminds me of Claesson from last year. I think he'll end up with a similar role, i.e. a good amount of even strength and PK minutes.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I always thought Sorensen was Danish. I see now that he's a duel citizen but that's surprised me lol

Sweden is this years version of Canada from the last couple years I think. They'll compete but they'll be missing some top players that hurt them big time.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I always thought Sorensen was Danish. I see now that he's a duel citizen but that's surprised me lol

Sweden is this years version of Canada from the last couple years I think. They'll compete but they'll be missing some top players that hurt them big time.

So we thought in Denmark as well :laugh:

Well he is half danish (father) and half swedish (mother). The name is Sørensen, but it's written in swedish Sörensen. Born in Denmark (Holbæk) but chose to play for Sweden - so that accounts for the change of ø to ö.

He played for Odense IK in Denmark, until he as 14 year old where he moved to Rögle in Sweden. He played U16 for Denmark and scored against Norway (16/12 2009 - result 4-4), but then chose to play for Sweden after that tournament.
Official 31/12 2009 - source:
http://tv2sport.dk/stortalent-vaelger-sverige-over-danmark

He will surely be missed for Denmark's NT in years to come.......:cry:

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Sweden missed Larsson and Landeskog last year, OEL and Landeskog the year before, Hedman and Karlsson the year before that. It happens every year and seems like the norm to miss a few guys for various reasons. They can't make it an excuse(I'm sure they won't).

Klefbom slipped in on one of the last spots and ended up as one of the tournament's best last year. Friberg was first thought as a defensive guy and ended up the best scorer on the team. Those are the surprises Sweden needs to succeed, and some clutch goaltending.

About Sörensen, he wouldn't have been eligible to play for Denmark anyway because he hasn't played two years there after his 12th birthday, which is an IIHF requirement. Requirement for someone who holds dual citizenship and already is eligible for the other country, I should clarify.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
About Sörensen, he wouldn't have been eligible to play for Denmark anyway because he hasn't played two years there after his 12th birthday, which is an IIHF requirement.

I think I read somewhere that he actually gave up his Danish citizenship.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think I read somewhere that he actually gave up his Danish citizenship.

Certainly makes it a no-decision, then. But if he wasn't considered for the Swedish national teams maybe he would've wanted that option open.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
About Sörensen, he wouldn't have been eligible to play for Denmark anyway because he hasn't played two years there after his 12th birthday, which is an IIHF requirement.

Since he lived in Denmark up to 14 years of age and played for the danish NT as 15 years old he would be eligable to play for Denmark as long as he doesn't play a WC-tournament for Sweden, (right)?!
Choosing to play U20 for Sweden will prevent him to play for Denmark, but if he still has his dual citizinship he should still be able to change back to Denmark if he avoids playing in the U20 WC?
At least as far as I know...any with more info on the matter???

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Since he lived in Denmark up to 14 years of age and played for the danish NT as 15 years old he would be eligable to play for Denmark as long as he doesn't play a WC-tournament for Sweden, (right)?!
Choosing to play U20 for Sweden will prevent him to play for Denmark, but if he still has his dual citizinship he should still be able to change back to Denmark if he avoids playing in the U20 WC?

I don't think there's 1 specific rule that anyone can throw down. It seems to vary from situation to situation. I know Liam Stewart never stepped on ice in Great Britain and he was meant to play U18 for the Great Britain team last year just because his dad is Rod :laugh: he grew up and played hockey in LA until moving to Spokane to play in the WHL

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

According to his own words, his parents moved to Sweden when he was two years old. So he might have played for Team Denmark a little while but he lived in Sweden. The thing is, the IIHF rules don't care about any competition not IIHF so that holds no weight for them. They will however make exceptions from time to time.. For example if there's no doubt which country the player should be able to represent even if he's not eligible per the rules.

If Sörensen never represented Team Sweden and opted to play for Team Denmark, that probably could've been achieved without playing club hockey in Denmark.

You have the guidelines here(for the normal case): http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-world-championship/home/iihf-eligibility.html

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I don't think there's 1 specific rule that anyone can throw down. It seems to vary from situation to situation. I know Liam Stewart never stepped on ice in Great Britain and he was meant to play U18 for the Great Britain team last year just because his dad is Rod :laugh: he grew up and played hockey in LA until moving to Spokane to play in the WHL

Anyways it is certainly more "fun" to play U20 for Sweden than Denmark (though Nicklas Jensen did all he could last U20 WC), so in that respect you can understand the choice.
But it is much harder to get a senior NT career (read olympics, since he is bound for NHL) for Sweden, than if he has chosen Denmark - so if it was strictly career choice he sets his bar very high.
(ofcourse tons of other personal factors could be a reason - he might just feel Swedish).

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Anyways it is certainly more "fun" to play U20 for Sweden than Denmark (though Nicklas Jensen did all he could last U20 WC), so in that respect you can understand the choice.
But it is much harder to get a senior NT career (read olympics, since he is bound for NHL) for Sweden, than if he has chosen Denmark - so if it was strictly career choice he sets his bar very high.
(ofcourse tons of other personal factors could be a reason - he might just feel Swedish).

He's young, he may have thought short term only. I'd rather play on Denmark than sit at home and watch Sweden when I'm 20+ :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
According to his own words, his parents moved to Sweden when he was two years old. So he might have played for Team Denmark a little while but he lived in Sweden. The thing is, the IIHF rules don't care about any competition not IIHF so that holds no weight for them. They will however make exceptions from time to time.. For example if there's no doubt which country the player should be able to represent even if he's not eligible per the rules.

If Sörensen never represented Team Sweden and opted to play for Team Denmark, that probably could've been achieved without playing club hockey in Denmark.

You have the guidelines here(for the normal case): http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-world-championship/home/iihf-eligibility.html

Oh ok....thats the catch...since that tournament was not IIHF, he could with no problem change to Sweden. So apparently he moved early to Sweden, but still played hockey in Denmark (Odense IK) for a period according to my source before he returned to Sweden and played for Rögle when 14 years of age?!
Thank you for the info! :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
He's young, he may have thought short term only. I'd rather play on Denmark than sit at home and watch Sweden when I'm 20+ :laugh:

Yeah thats why Denmark have Nicklas Jensen, Patrick+Oliver Bjørkstrand and Kiril Starkov as danish (with dual citizinship chosing Denmark), while we lost Vyacheslav Trukhno to Russia and Nick Sørensen to Sweden.
I would also (if i has dual citizinship) definitely chose a country where he could be more sure of a spot and still play against the best, that a more uncertain future, unless I was very very good.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Oh ok....thats the catch...since that tournament was not IIHF, he could with no problem change to Sweden. So apparently he moved early to Sweden, but still played hockey in Denmark (Odense IK) for a period according to my source before he returned to Sweden and played for Rögle when 14 years of age?!
Thank you for the info! :)

It's quite possible that he played club hockey in Denmark and lived in Sweden(he lived in the Malmö region).

Sweden's been involved in quite a few of these cases lately. Joakim Ryan represented the Swedish national teams for many years but never spent any significant time in Sweden so he was forced to switch to USA instead. William Nylander was not eligible to play for any country per the rules, but opted to play for Sweden and has now been allowed to do so..

The IIHF rules are mostly made though to prevent smaller nations from getting semi-good players to represent them. Like the numerous amount of Canadians going to play in Europe with dual-citizenship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad