WJC: Roster Talk '13 — Sweden

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Congrats to Team Sweden and its fans. A fantastic team that played so well in the face of the adversity of losing so many key players, a loss most couldn't overcome. A real testament to the players and staff.

2014 WJC in Sweden should be a real treat. The home team will be a force.

Once again, congrats to Sweden!

DSL

Jun 30, 2011
I'm not even disappointed with the silver. Did not expect a medal at all going in to the tournament. This team performed well, they just lost to the best team of the tournament who had a wall in net. Nothing to say about that. I usually don't say a team should be proud of a silver, but these guys really should.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
Congrats to Team Sweden and its fans. A fantastic team that played so well in the face of the adversity of losing so many key players, a loss most couldn't overcome. A real testament to the players and staff.

2014 WJC in Sweden should be a real treat. The home team will be a force.

Once again, congrats to Sweden!

:handclap:

I'm not even disappointed with the silver. Did not expect a medal at all going in to the tournament. This team performed well, they just lost to the best team of the tournament who had a wall in net. Nothing to say about that. I usually don't say a team should be proud of a silver, but these guys really should.

I too, didn't expect this team to even medal going into it so I'm not really disappointed. They did better then any realistic expectation pegged them at going in to this tournament.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Proud of the guys! Did well with the players we had. Next year we will great set of forwards.. lets see which defenders will step up.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
My 1-5 scale(a little based on expectations):
5:
Arvidsson
Sandberg
Nilsson
4:
Lundström
Vikstrand
Hägg
Arnesson
Wennberg
Lindholm
Molin
3:
Collberg
Forsberg
Djuse
Djoos
de la Rose
Lassinantti
Rask
2:
Rakell
Karlsson
Bengtsson
Sörensen
1:
Boyce

Overall analysis: Our draft eligibles carried the team to success, and our relatively unknown blueline played above par. Lundström came in and gave us good enough goaltending to win. Biggest disappoinment was that our 1st line C had two assists in 6 games, and that we couldn't get our returnees to play to their potential.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
My 1-5 scale(a little based on expectations):
5:
Arvidsson
Sandberg
Nilsson
4:
Lundström
Vikstrand
Hägg
Arnesson
Wennberg
Lindholm
Molin
3:
Collberg
Forsberg
Djuse
Djoos
de la Rose
Lassinantti
Rask
2:
Rakell
Karlsson
Bengtsson
Sörensen
1:
Boyce

Overall analysis: Our draft eligibles carried the team to success, and our relatively unknown blueline played above par. Lundström came in and gave us good enough goaltending to win. Biggest disappoinment was that our 1st line C had two assists in 6 games, and that we couldn't get our returnees to play to their potential.

Yeah pretty much agree with this. Mostly dissapointed with Rakell, Karlsson and even though he did score most points on the swedish team Collberg. He's totally invisible at ES. I do think we got something good going for next year. We will have a stacked team on Forward

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I would give Forsberg at least a 4, he was constantly up against the very best defense but still created more than any other player throughout the tournament. He wasn't great today and he holds on to the puck too much but he is a threat every shift.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
Nilsson for team MVP imo.

Forsberg wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. I think he really, really wanted to be the difference maker which means he tried to do too much on his own.

DSL

Jun 30, 2011
I pretty much agree with joe89's list. Based on expectations tho Boyce was a 5 :sarcasm:

I think Wikstrand is great and all, possibly Swedens best kept secret but idk if it's just me or does he feel kinda slow on his skates a lot of times? like if there's a turnover and a battle to the puck you just feel he's gonna lose it 9 times out of 10 unless he's got a good head start, because he's just not that fast. Or is it just me?

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I think the depth guys on D, was more than decent. it wasn't like a big black hole when we didn't have the top 3 D-guys in the tournament.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
I pretty much agree with joe89's list. Based on expectations tho Boyce was a 5 :sarcasm:

I think Wikstrand is great and all, possibly Swedens best kept secret but idk if it's just me or does he feel kinda slow on his skates a lot of times? like if there's a turnover and a battle to the puck you just feel he's gonna lose it 9 times out of 10 unless he's got a good head start, because he's just not that fast. Or is it just me?

He needs to work on his skating, yes, especially his acceleration.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think the depth guys on D, was more than decent. it wasn't like a big black hole when we didn't have the top 3 D-guys in the tournament.
The replacements surpassed the expectations, but I really would've liked to see what an injury free D-line could have done for this team.

As most others, I'm delighted with the silver.

coursy17

Jan 2, 2012
this team will have 12 returning players next year on home ice thats pretty crazy. also saw they won the u17 and this oscar lindblom absolutely lit up the tournament. Looks like they have good depth at a few ages to fill in the rest of their roster next year. should be scary

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Why does Sweden historically not play well against the US?

I do not think that one can generalise. Sweden has been bad in junior hockey if you go back in time, so old games has little to do with today as the quality is better now. In recent years Sweden has not met USA that many times, so it is a small sample (basically a lost bronze game and a final).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad