WJC: Roster Talk '13 — Canada V4.0 (Final Roster Named)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Saying stuff like that doesn't exact prove anything. I remember them saying the opposte of that.

I'm not going to find the video for you. Your memory is inaccurate. Here is a nice little link though, and I will quote some parts especially for you.

http://http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=262109

"If I was given a vote for Canada's best forward in the tournament, it would go to Cody Hodgson.

Let's get the disclaimer out of the way. I love John Tavares and I have no problem with him being chosen as the top player in the tournament. I've been watching him since he was a little kid, he is a tremendous athlete and he had a phenomenal tournament, but for me the best all-around player and the tournament MVP was Hodgson." - Bob McKenzie

On the second part, you're just talking out your ass now, naming off random players who acccording to you had a better tournment.

Yes exactly, those are random player. Good reasoning on your part from the start. Those players were all MVPs I believe, and there is a decent case for each of them to have had a superior tournament. Bergeron was the best player on the most loaded team we ever sent and had the best tournament, leading the tournament in scoring (unlike Tavares) and dominating defensively (unlike Tavares). Price carried a frankly weak Canadian team to the gold medal, while Schenn set the Canadian scoring record and scored many more points than anyone on team Canada.

I am getting a good laugh at your double standard. You make the ridiculous claim that Tavares had the best tournament since 1993, and then complain that only it is only according to me. What exactly do you want here? A formal mathematical proof that they had superior tournaments?

For the last part, I get people questioning my logic yet no one questions this logic? You can't assume a player will beat one of the best World Junior performances ever, I don't care who the player is. If Crosby is the best player in the NHL, and has been since 2005-06, do you think it was logical to assume he would win the scoring title every season? Was it logical to think that Gretzky would be playoff MVP every time the Oilers won the cup?

Spin it any way you want (your two examples are laughably irrelevent to the situation) but Nugent-Hopkins is a better player, and has a better supporting cast. Best guess is that he will have a better tournament because of these factors. Tavares was great (not as great as you seem to think) but not otherworldly.

Everytime someone assumes something will happen because a player is "good", someone else surprises.

Definitely true. I remember when people assumed that Forsberg would dominate the 1993 tournament because he was "good", that was clearly not true. When people thought that Malkin would dominate in 2006 because he was "good", it's not like he won the MVP or anything. You are right. Every time, someone else will instead surprise.

goaliedad29

Dec 20, 2011
Seriously, Subban was beyond excellent in the Subway series. He was probably a lock after those games.

By that logic, Brossoit definitely should have been a lock too... he played amazing against Russia at SSS (shutout with several great stops) and was clearly no worse than 2nd best goalie in camp... probably the best if you take into account he made more saves than Paterson or Binnington had shots.

Spott clearly knew who he was taking before camp began!

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I think it is a good choice, but you think Hockey Canada wasn't thinking, if the lockout ends, would Edmonton really recall Team Canada's captain.

There was more that went into this decision than just the obvious.

Seeing as how he's Edmonton's first line centre I think they would recall him without thinking twice. Surprising move by Team Canada and this is coming from an Oilers fan. The second there's a resolution to the lockout RNH is on the first flight to Edmonton. Losing your captain in the middle of the tournament is a distinct possibility and a risk I'm surprised Hockey Canada is going to take.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Even though RNH played 62 games last year in the NHL I still think he is going to surprise a lot of people with how good he really is on the powerplay. Even if this kid ONLY played PP and had no ES ice time, he would put up a significant amount of points. I just hope the rest of the team will be able to finish the passes they will be getting (my guess is this team will ;))

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I think most will agree that if RNH is as good as Tavares was in 2009, Canada has an excellent chance at a gold medal. Tavares was unreal in that tournament. RNH has all the tools and support to match that performance.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I think most will agree that if RNH is as good as Tavares was in 2009, Canada has an excellent chance at a gold medal. Tavares was unreal in that tournament. RNH has all the tools and support to match that performance.

Along with a year of NHL experience.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
My lineup:

Hopkins-Huberdeau (A)-Scheifele
Drouin-MacKinnon-Strome
Hudon-Jenner (A)-Rattie
Camara-Danault-Ritchie
Lipon

Reilly-Hamilton (C)
Ouellet-Harrington
Reinhart-Wotherspoon
Murphy

There no chance that RNH, who plays as a first line center in the NHL, is going to play on the wing in this tournament.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Seeing as how he's Edmonton's first line centre I think they would recall him without thinking twice. Surprising move by Team Canada and this is coming from an Oilers fan. The second there's a resolution to the lockout RNH is on the first flight to Edmonton. Losing your captain in the middle of the tournament is a distinct possibility and a risk I'm surprised Hockey Canada is going to take.

Well, lets hope there's no resolution until after the gold medal game.

Destroyer100

There no chance that RNH, who plays as a first line center in the NHL, is going to play on the wing in this tournament.

Also Drouin and Mackinnon wont start together, it was already saide by Steve Spott.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010

RNH is pretty awful at faceoffs.

And it was simply the lineup I would have, not the lineup I predict HC to put together. Of course Drouin and MacKinnon don't start on the 2nd line.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

He won't be quarterbacking the pp anymore with Schultz there so you might as well put him in a position where he can be the most effective.

Quarter backing a power play doesn't mean you're a point man.

Henrik Sedin has QB's the Canucks power play from the half wall for years.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
RNH is pretty awful at faceoffs.

I think people are going to be very surprised at how dominant he will be on the dot. The guy is used to going against men nearly twice his size in the faceoff circle and has been for the past year and a half. Coming back against junior kids and his faceoff % should be well north of 50.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009

I agree with this. If Im Tambellini or Lowe and the choice is compete for a playoff spot in a shortened season hoping to win back the goodwill of the fans as well have my team take the next step from basement dweller...even if they miss the playoffs just not last place. Or have RNH help Canada's junior team knowing Horcoff will be the teams first line center.

Katz would probably send a private jet to get him back to Edmonton

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Did Sproul get screwed? If Murphy was picked over him as an offensive specialest the stats say he did. Plus Sproul has 5 inches and 30lbs on him. But I'm a bias Wings fan and haven't acctually seen either one play this year. Any insight?

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Did Sproul get screwed? If Murphy was picked over him as an offensive specialest the stats say he did. Plus Sproul has 5 inches and 30lbs on him. But I'm a bias Wings fan and haven't acctually seen either one play this year. Any insight?

My guess is they were more familiar with him and thought he was more of a game breaker as a puck rusher

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
I agree with this. If Im Tambellini or Lowe and the choice is compete for a playoff spot in a shortened season hoping to win back the goodwill of the fans as well have my team take the next step from basement dweller...even if they miss the playoffs just not last place. Or have RNH help Canada's junior team knowing Horcoff will be the teams first line center.

Katz would probably send a private jet to get him back to Edmonton

Tim Wharnsby ‏@WharnsbyCBC
This should have read: CDN Jr coach Steve Spott says #Oilers have not altered stance. RNH will return from world jr if NHL lockout ends.

Looks like you're right.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Also Drouin and Mackinnon wont start together, it was already saide by Steve Spott.

Saw this on TSN as well, interesting to me because I thought that they'd put Jenner and Danault together on a shutdown line and Mackinnon and Drouin on a sheltered scoring 4th line.

For me, keeping Mackinnon and Drouin together seemed like the only reason to not have Danault as the 4th line Center. Will be interesting to see how the lines shake out.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

I think he'll be better than JT was. He's used to playing men and has a full year in the NHL doing pretty well.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Huberdeau-RNH-Rattie
Drouin-Mackinnon-Schiefele
Hudon-Strome-Ritchie
Lipon-Jenner-Danault
Camara

Rielly-Hamilton
Harrington-Ouellett
Reinhart-Murphy
Corrado

Subban
Paterson

Binnington

This is just the lines that I would want, but I don't think that HC would ever put two 17 year olds on the second line. I could see Drouin as 13th forward and Mackinnon centering the 4th line, though.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
All you need to do is put your two best goal scorers on the line with RNH. Would mackinnon not be one of those two players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad