WJC: Roster Talk '13 — U.S.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyers28giroux

Oct 1, 2012
Philadelphia
The only thing Galchenyuk has to do now is to build some chemistry with Gaudreau and Miller, if those three can do that, we could possibly have the second best top line in the tournament after Canada's Huberdeau-Nugent Hopkins-Scheifele line.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
I'm all for the 3G line

Gaudreau-Galchenyuk-Grimaldi

Lacks a little grit, but instead of playing like he is 6'1", Rocco will have to play like he is 6'4" for this tournament.

Kershaw

It may have been asked, but why is Noesen suspended, while Huberdeau gets a slap on the wrist for viciously cheapshotting a referee?

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
It may have been asked, but why is Noesen suspended, while Huberdeau gets a slap on the wrist for viciously cheapshotting a referee?

He did not cheap shot a referee though, he kinda just fell on his own. But the suspension length was kinda bogus, as I agree with whoever brought that up.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

How many games do you honestly believe Huberdeau deserves? And if Noesen weren't suspended would you still really want Huberdeau suspended? Because as has been explained many, many, many times Dave Branch has set a standard of ten games the last couple years and Noesen's hit 100% met the standard.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How many games do you honestly believe Huberdeau deserves? And if Noesen weren't suspended would you still really want Huberdeau suspended? Because as has been explained many, many, many times Dave Branch has set a standard of ten games the last couple years and Noesen's hit 100% met the standard.

I honestly think Huberdeau is very lucky this happened at this time of year. He would be in much bigger trouble if this happened after January this year or even would have sat most of October if not all of it for this. Even if the intention wasn't all the way there, he harmed a ref. I can tell you which action would have gotten more in pro hockey. I had a problem with it before Noesen got rung up, and just assumed he was really getting something bigger they just were waiting for him to get back from team Canada and treating like a month long suspension and he would sit the four games after. Back then I thought it had no teeth come to find out right now is counting as his four game suspension? That is a complete joke, the guy hurt a ref after an altercation had stopped trying to squirm away and continue. Especially at the junior level I would honestly expect something in the 10 to 15 game range.

It doesn't matter he didn't get it and really I don't care, I just am shocked at the difference here. If the IIHF wants to do this kind of stuff they should determine discipline on their own, not just whatever league they are from. It has problems, right or wrong team Canada in the CHL or Russian in the KHL and younger leagues are going to come off as having advantage over a normal one of their players. They have picked the right nation to probably do this to, imagine if Yakupov was still in the CHL and got rung up for something like this, they would be going bonkers, the lack of a big fanbase is really helping this out.

Last edited:

kdb527

Nov 16, 2010

I would not agree that it met the standard. Noesen's hit deserves suspension, but it was not determined to be a head shot nor did he target the head.

Kershaw

I would not agree that it met the standard. Noesen's hit deserves suspension, but it was not determined to be a head shot nor did he target the head.

Exactly.

Surprising stuff from the CANADIAN Hockey League. lol.

Kershaw

Huberdeau deserves at least 10 minimum for hurting a ref, that's just gutless. But why would they want to do that to the QMJHL star player in his final game, might be sending the wrong message.....

Your 2nd point is exactly an issue I'd like to highlight. Huberdeau's incident was much worse, yet Noesen is the one who gets banned? What kind of mockery is this?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Sorry, but Huberdeau did not hurt a ref. Had that been a call of intent for abuse of official, it would be 10 games, but Huberdeau is really only guilty of...for lack of a better term...resisting arrest. Lol. The ref basically fell on his own and the injury was an accident.

As for Noesen, I'm not sure that was worthy of 10 games, but it was determined to be a headshot (contrary to what other poster have said) thus the suspension.

To me both those arguments are moot as the real quesion should be why the IIHF is essentially adding games to the suspensions.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I do believe that in cases such as these the IIHF should leave it up to the suspending league whether to enforce the suspension during IIHF events or not.

It's a pretty clear head shot in my opinion.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm not going to comment on the suspensions and who deserved what, but from that video I have to agree with the person who said the linesman fell on his own. It wasn't right for Huberdeau to be jostling with him, trying to get away from him, and it probably led to the linesman slipping but in the video imo you can clearly see the linesman feet come out from in under him, at which point he grabs onto Huberdeau tighter to try and stop himself from falling which leads to him pulling Huberdeau down with him.

Yes Huberdeau was in the wrong, and he played a part in injuring the linesman and he should be suspended for that, but it's not as bad as it looks, it wasn't intentional.

I haven't seen the Noesen hit, so I can't comment on it.

I do agree however that the IIHF should take their own look at the plays, and not just base things on the length of suspension in whatever league the player is in.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

His feet way off the ground, hands up around the head, plus Hore's head gets smashed into the glass and there's no way to prevent that with Noesen hitting him like that. In my world that's not a ten game suspension but in Dave Branch's it absolutely is. I just hate the idea that he got suspended to somehow sabotage the Americans' World Junior chances because it simply couldn't be further from the truth. If that's Mark Scheifele throwing that hit, ten games for sure, Branch doesn't give a **** where you're from, remember Monahan already has had a ten gamer this year. And the Huberdeau thing, four games seems like a pretty good maximum punishment, you can't punish a guy 10-15 games when there was no intent, he didn't punch or slash the ref, the ref fell in a situation that happens all the time (players trying to get at one another with the linesemen in between). Give him four because the linesman got hurt and Huberdeau was too aggressive but there's got to be a certain amount of maliciousness for ten (such as leaving your feet and ramming a guy's head into the glass). Anyways I've made my case so I'm done, it's just the conspiracy theory that bothering me and is from people who clearly don't understand the OHL punishment system, it's as strict as I've seen. Stefan Noesen is not a loss that I don't think you guys can overcome, he's a solid player but I don't expect he'd be a star at the tournament.

And just and FYI, Tyler Hore, still out with a concussion. Probably sitting out games just to set up Noesen though, he is Canadian after all and apparently we need every advantage we can get.

And good luck to Team USA in the tournament, like I said earlier kind of getting overlooked. Looks like a pretty solid, deep team to me.

Last edited:

kdb527

Nov 16, 2010
Sorry, but Huberdeau did not hurt a ref. Had that been a call of intent for abuse of official, it would be 10 games, but Huberdeau is really only guilty of...for lack of a better term...resisting arrest. Lol. The ref basically fell on his own and the injury was an accident.

As for Noesen, I'm not sure that was worthy of 10 games, but it was determined to be a headshot (contrary to what other poster have said) thus the suspension.

To me both those arguments are moot as the real quesion should be why the IIHF is essentially adding games to the suspensions.

Not by what the league put out.... Here is what they put out for other head check suspensions...

The incident reviewed was a 5 minute major and game misconduct for checking to the head assessed to player Scott Laughton of the Oshawa Generals Hockey Club.

The incident reviewed was a checking to the head infraction involving player Sean Monahan of the Ottawa 67’s Hockey Club.

The incident reviewed was a 5 minute major and game misconduct for checking to the head assessed to player Chris Buonomo of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds Hockey Club.

Plymouth Whalers' Stefan Noesen is suspended 10 games for this hit against Oshawa. Posted: December 08, 2012

OHL did not state that Noesen's suspension was due to any head related penalty... Major charging and left his feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad