WJC: Roster Talk '13 — U.S.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Note to moderators, I looked for another thread on the first two pages and didn't seen one that fit this topic. My apologies for creating extra work for you if I missed something.

Supposedly Phil Housley has been named as coach for the USA's U-20 team this year.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
REPORT: Phil Housley to Lead US National Junior Team in 2013.

Phil Housley will be named head coach of the US National Junior Team for the
2013 IIHF World Junior Championship Monday, according to ESPN’s John Buccigross.

Sources contacted at USA Hockey would neither confirm nor deny the report.
There is a media teleconference scheduled for Monday at 2:00 pm EDT to make
the formal announcement.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/201...ley-to-lead-u-s-national-junior-team-in-2013/

Congrats Phil! - go get us some Gold!

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Housley to Coach 2013 US National Junior Team -

Colorado Springs, Colorado - Phil Housley (South St. Paul, Minnesota) has been
named head coach of the 2013 US National Junior Team it was announced today
by USA Hockey. It is Housley's first stint as the head coach of a US National Team
after serving as an assistant coach for the 2007 (bronze) and 2011 (bronze) US
National Junior Teams and the 2011 US Men's National Team.

"I'm honored to be asked to coach this team and look forward to the challenge,"
said Housley. "The depth of our player pool is as good as it has ever been and I'm
sure it will be a challenge to settle on which players will represent our country in Ufa."

http://www.usahockey.com/world_junior_championships/HousleyAnnounce.aspx

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
National Junior Evaluation Camp Roster Set -

Colorado Spings, Colorado - USA Hockey today announced the 46 players invited
to take part in its National Junior Evaluation Camp this August in Lake Placid, N.Y.
The players will be auditioning for a spot on the US National Junior Team that will
take part in the 2013 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship,
Dec. 26, 2012-Jan. 5, 2013, in Ufa, Russia.

Among the invitees are three returnees from the 2012 US National Junior Team -
defenseman Jacob Trouba (Rochester, Mich.), forward J.T. Miller (East Palestine, Ohio)
and goaltender John Gibson (Pittsburgh, Pa.).

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_04_01_06&id=317495

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I'd say these guys are locks to make the team and I don't think many if any 1993s will make the NHL.

Gaudreau------Galchenyuk------Noesen
X----------Grimaldi------------Biggs
X----------X------------Matteau
X-----------X-----------X

S. Jones--Trouba
C. Murphy----Skjei
X----------X

Gibson
X
X

Galchenyuk has an outside chance of making an NHL roster, but I doubt it. Conor Murphy should make the team if he's healthy.

Gaudreau was a late cut from last year, so I'm venturing that he makes it, especially as one of the few exceptionally skilled players of this group. Ditto Grimaldi if healthy.

Maybe some will disagree with a few of these guys, but it's just my opinion.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'd say these guys are locks to make the team and I don't think many if any 1993s will make the NHL.

Gaudreau------Galchenyuk------Noesen
X----------Grimaldi------------Biggs

S. Jones--Trouba
C. Murphy----Skjei
X----------X

Gibson
X
X

Galchenyuk has an outside chance of making an NHL roster, but I doubt it. Conor Murphy should make the team if he's healthy.

Gaudreau was a late cut from last year, so I'm venturing that he makes it, especially as one of the few exceptionally skilled players of this group. Ditto Grimaldi if healthy.

Maybe some will disagree with a few of these guys, but it's just my opinion.

I wouldn't call Biggs, Matteau, or Skjei locks. All will certainly be in the running for the team but I can't see how any of them are locks. I agree with the rest of your choice but add that J.T. Miller is most certainly a lock and a guy like Vince Trocheck should be more of a lock than a Biggs or Matteau as well.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I wouldn't call Biggs, Matteau, or Skjei locks. All will certainly be in the running for the team but I can't see how any of them are locks. I agree with the rest of your choice but add that J.T. Miller is most certainly a lock and a guy like Vince Trocheck should be more of a lock than a Biggs or Matteau as well.

JT Miller was simply an omission by way of memory fault. He's certainly as much a lock as anybody on the team.

Miller------Galchenyuk------Noesen
Gaudreau---Grimaldi------------Biggs

S. Jones--Trouba
C. Murphy----Skjei
X----------X

Gibson
X
X

I figured Skjei and Matteau would be debatable but I think they make this team. Maybe I will be wrong about it, I often have been, but we'll see. Biggs I feel even stronger makes the team but again, who knows. Certainly removing those three games you get guys that approach the 99% range (not counting health factors) whereas these three might be in the 70-80 range. In my estimation of course, reasonable minds can and will differ.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am about 99% sure that we wont see Galchenyuk on team USA if either Montreal or the Islanders draft him.... the kid is going to be playing with the big boys in the NHL imo....:cry:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I am about 99% sure that we wont see Galchenyuk on team USA if either Montreal or the Islanders draft him.... the kid is going to be playing with the big boys in the NHL imo....:cry:

Maybe the Islanders, but only because they are dumb enough to force their best prospects into situations where they are destroyed.

Ex. Josh Bailey and Nino Niederreiter.

Galchenyuk should play another year in Sarnia.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Henrik Samuelsson going in the first round tonight. Will be interesting to see if he can make the roster.

BJD

May 26, 2011
camp starts up this saturday i believe. any new developments?

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
Locks, IMO, are Gaudreau, Noesen, Jones, Trouba, Murphy and Grimaldi, and obviously Galchenyuk if he's not with the Habs.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Locks, IMO, are Gaudreau, Noesen, Jones, Trouba, Murphy and Grimaldi, and obviously Galchenyuk if he's not with the Habs.

keeping my fingers extra crossed if possible!

I think he gets 9 games with Montreal just to see what he can do, hopefully the speed is a bit much for him and Montreal figured him dominating a full year in the OHL will do him better then struggling at times in the NHL

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I think it would be a big mistake for Montreal to keep Galchenyuk up this year. Maybe if he had played the entire year last year, but after such a long layoff, not a fan.

Anyway, here's Chris Peters' prediction after the Evaluation camp.

Gaudreau – Galchenyuk – Miller
Lucia – Kuraly – Noesen
Kerdiles – Trocheck – Biggs
Pietila – Fogarty – Hartman
Matteau
On the bubble: Bardreau, Boyd

Reilly – Jones
Gostisbehere – Trouba
Skjei – Murphy
McCabe
On the Bubble: Grzelcyk, Haar, Sieloff

Gibson
Sparks
On the Bubble: Stolarz

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think it would be a big mistake for Montreal to keep Galchenyuk up this year. Maybe if he had played the entire year last year, but after such a long layoff, not a fan.

Anyway, here's Chris Peters' prediction after the Evaluation camp.

we can pretty much scratch of Lucia now...looks like he will be lost for at least 4 months after destroying his knee sadly..

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I believe it was his ankle but yeah.

Could be interesting what happens if the lockout ends around December.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Odds are stacked against him, although if he continues his strong play he might get an invite to the final December eval camp and then anything is possible.

I mean the kid is good. I actually really like him. I just don't think this will be his year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad