Skeji - M. Reilly

Grzelcyk

Gibson

Sparks

Stolarz

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Really not a fan of the squad this year... don't see them being in the Championship, but i'll still be rooting for them.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
I'm hoping for good things this time but I'm not so sure USA will even get a medal. Canada is looking like they will have a stacked roster and I haven't seen anything of Russia or Sweden but I'm thinking they will both be pretty strong again this year. It'll certainly be an improvement over last time though, at least I hope.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The team is set in goal (led by Gibson) and has some excellent pieces on defense (with the likes of Jones, Murphy, etc.). Top notch #1 center (Galchenyuk), some puck wizard midgets (Gaudreau, Grimaldi, etc.), and some brute/power forward types to ride shotgun (Biggs, Hartmann, Matteau, etc.). Some additional scoring with guys like Trocheck and Kuraly as well. Chemistry is always a question mark, but the talent is certainly there. I think the "x" factor is going to be Housley. He'll employ an up-tempo offensive game, and if the team can execute (like they did in 2010 under Dean Blais) it could be a really dangerous team. IMO this is a wide-open tournament. Canada's vaunted depth due to the lockout is a bit of a red herring as the only major addition (IMO) is RNH. One guy won't win them the title. Russia of course has home ice, and Sweden looks good as well.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Canada's vaunted depth due to the lockout is a bit of a red herring as the only major addition (IMO) is RNH. One guy won't win them the title.

Hi RR,

If you remember, even in 2005, it wasn't the "major additions" that made a difference but the players that would have played in the NHL had there been a lockout. I think (correct me if I am wrong) the only player that had played a whole season in the NHL was Bergeron. Having said that, Canada's 2013 lockout team will NOT be on the same level as the 2005 team. It may not be close.

:)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hi RR,

If you remember, even in 2005, it wasn't the "major additions" that made a difference but the players that would have played in the NHL had there been a lockout. I think (correct me if I am wrong) the only player that had played a whole season in the NHL was Bergeron. Having said that, Canada's 2013 lockout team will NOT be on the same level as the 2005 team. It may not be close.

:)

Right. All I'm saying is I don't think the lockout is going to do all that much for Canada this time around. Add in the fact the tournament is in Russia and the North American teams are behind the eight ball a bit. Should be a top-notch tourney though.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Right. All I'm saying is I don't think the lockout is going to do all that much for Canada this time around. Add in the fact the tournament is in Russia and the North American teams are behind the eight ball a bit. Should be a top-notch tourney though.

A positive (in bold) that may come from almost 3 years of poor drafts. It seems that after the top two picks from 2010 (Hall/Seguin) it has been all down hill. 2010 was a disappointment - was suppose to be great but was average. 2011 was weak. 2012 was even weaker still.

A few (very) good players, here and there, but no country (except for perhaps Sweden) has had anything to brag about.
Looks like the next couple years may make up for it. Let's hope it plays out that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I expect USA to go undefeated in this tournament, and absolutely slaughter every team they face.

This squad could be the most talented squad ever created by any country..ever...

just callin it now ;)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This will be one of the more interesting U.S. WJC rosters in recent memory. Should have a pretty heavy CHL slant. That should add to the CHL/NCAA debate that rages around this time of year. For the U.S. to be successful, Gibson is going to have stand tall in net and the likes of Galchenyuk HAVE to produce.

collegehockeyguy

May 15, 2011
i didnt expect travis boyd to make the roster, but as the season goes on it wouldnt surprise me if he does get a spot. 4th line center/PK role. very hard to play against for a 19 year old

i think that USA is underrated this year. early prediction would be silver medal

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
A positive (in bold) that may come from almost 3 years of poor drafts. It seems that after the top two picks from 2010 (Hall/Seguin) it has been all down hill. 2010 was a disappointment - was suppose to be great but was average. 2011 was weak. 2012 was even weaker still.

A few (very) good players, here and there, but no country (except for perhaps Sweden) has had anything to brag about.
Looks like the next couple years may make up for it. Let's hope it plays out that way.

It's pretty brazen of you to evaluate the strength of drafts which have taken place no more than two years ago :shakehead

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I expect USA to go undefeated in this tournament, and absolutely slaughter every team they face.

This squad could be the most talented squad ever created by any country..ever...

just callin it now ;)

i see you are called the dreamer. Now i know why>

flyers28giroux

Oct 1, 2012
Philadelphia

just callin it now ;)

Those are some pretty high expectations but I must admit I like it.

It should be interesting to see how this team does and whether this team can gel cohesively and win some games especially against Canada and Russia.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Canada will always have the deepest talent pool to choose from when it comes to this tournament. I don't want to hear who might not be there and what not. They still have the best junior league to select from(Canadian hockey league). Anyone who has seen the first 3 games of the subway super series this year knows Russia will be very quick and talented again. USA better play the way they did in 2010 and 2011, otherwise your looking at the possibility of losing 2 games in the round robin again. We're in a very tough group this year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Those are some pretty high expectations but I must admit I like it.

It should be interesting to see how this team does and whether this team can gel cohesively and win some games especially against Canada and Russia.

to be honest, it was just a silly comment...never meant it...

figured all the Canada zombies would start up their usual our 3rd team can beat your first team nonsense again, so was just getting my shots in first...

I dont not believe this to be the greatest USA team ever assembled, or the greatest WJC team ever assembled...

it should be a well balanced squad that will be CHL heavy, but have enough talent and grit to win a medal. if Canada thinks they are going to be unbeatable, this is the type of team that can provide shock and awe to those Nucks...

I like teams like this for the US...as long as the goaltending holds up, we will be fine.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
to be honest, it was just a silly comment...never meant it...

figured all the Canada zombies would start up their usual our 3rd team can beat your first team nonsense again, so was just getting my shots in first...

I dont not believe this to be the greatest USA team ever assembled, or the greatest WJC team ever assembled...

it should be a well balanced squad that will be CHL heavy, but have enough talent and grit to win a medal. if Canada thinks they are going to be unbeatable, this is the type of team that can provide shock and awe to those Nucks...

I like teams like this for the US...as long as the goaltending holds up, we will be fine.

One thing I've noticed about US teams in different sports and different levels, if you have a high expectations for them they often fall flat and fail to deliver. When they are dismissed and ignored as a 3rd rate competitor, they get that chip on their shoulder and can impress.

So with that said; we suck, all of our players suck and won't ever be any good at anything.

You can thank me later.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
It's too bad there aren't more returnees from last year. I would think there would have been quite a few guys looking for a shot at redemption. It's also interesting to note that it does look to be a pretty CHL heavy year, which I think was predicted by some more than a year ago. The US always seems to have issues meshing the junior players with the college guys. They're definitely going to need to get that straightened out this year.

tourlord*

Why is everybody saying Biggs? He didn't make the team last year and hes going to need to get a lot faster if he wants to make it this this which I just don't see.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Why is everybody saying Biggs? He didn't make the team last year and hes going to need to get a lot faster if he wants to make it this this which I just don't see.

Most players don't make the team multiple years in a row. Biggs' skating is questionable, but he's got a good scoring touch and a physical element that is second to none. For a 3rd-4th line player he is very useful.

His competition also isn't tough. Ryan Hartman is a year younger, always a factor and has only just got his feet wet in the OHL this year. He's not going to bring the physical element at 5-10 and his defensive zone coverage is still a bit of a work in progress. Adam Erne is an underager which is always very difficult to crack the roster and really is a completely different player. He's a scorer, not a grinder and that kind of means he needs to break the top 2 on the right wing. Riley Barber is also a smaller guy at 5-11 who hasn't had a very long track record and is also a 94. So Biggs has age, experience and style up on his biggest competition.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Most players don't make the team multiple years in a row. Biggs' skating is questionable, but he's got a good scoring touch and a physical element that is second to none. For a 3rd-4th line player he is very useful.

His competition also isn't tough. Ryan Hartman is a year younger, always a factor and has only just got his feet wet in the OHL this year. He's not going to bring the physical element at 5-10 and his defensive zone coverage is still a bit of a work in progress. Adam Erne is an underager which is always very difficult to crack the roster and really is a completely different player. He's a scorer, not a grinder and that kind of means he needs to break the top 2 on the right wing. Riley Barber is also a smaller guy at 5-11 who hasn't had a very long track record and is also a 94. So Biggs has age, experience and style up on his biggest competition.

what?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig