WJC: Roster Talk '13 — Canada 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Where is camp being held? Would be smart to hold it in Belleville with their large ice sheet.

Last edited:

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Where is camp being held. Would be smart to hold it in Belleville with their large ice sheet.

Its in Calgary. Im assuming the reason for that is travel purposes. It would be stupid to have guys from out west fly to Ontario only to have a longer flight over to Europe.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Its in Calgary. Im assuming the reason for that is travel purposes. It would be stupid to have guys from out west fly to Ontario only to have a longer flight over to Europe.

Are they at least training on international ice though?

canucksPK

May 9, 2011
Okanagan BC
He gets a lot of help from MacKinnon. He isn't as good as his stats say. He will probably be a top-10 pick, but there are a few better players than him (like Barkov, for example)

I know that there are players better than him haha, and Barkov is a special player, there is no doubt in my mind that he goes straight to the NHL, but its becoming a commonality for talented players to go the NHL straight out of the draft. He is near as good as his numbers say, I have watched him play on numerous occasions. To be in the same level of draftee as let's say, Lindholm and Monahan, is quite the feat, and that is where he is at. I personally don't think his game is NHL ready, but you really never know with talented prospects. Guys like Skinner and Burmistrov can make the NHL as 18 year olds. Drouin has a lot to offer, and in near a years time, there is a lot of progress to be made.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I don't understand why they wouldn't invite Theo and keep the line together from Niagara? Am I being horribly biased in wondering this?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Hudon-Strome-Rattie
McNeill-Jenner-Wilson
Camara-Danault-Ritchie

Rielly-Hamilton
Harrington-Ouellet
Murphy-Dumba
Reinhart

Subban
Binnington
Brossoit

This is Bob McKenzie's currently projected depth chart. I still think it would be a mistake to not include Drouin/MacKinnon

McKenzie's in love with Hudon. I think it would be a huge mistake to count on Hudon to produce in a top-6 role. That's not to say he's not good offensively or won't produce, I just think he'd be best in more of a Freddie Hamilton role: shut-down third-liner, first option on PK, and also quietly was 4th in points on TC last year.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
McKenzie's in love with Hudon. I think it would be a huge mistake to count on Hudon to produce in a top-6 role. That's not to say he's not good offensively or won't produce, I just think he'd be best in more of a Freddie Hamilton role: shut-down third-liner, first option on PK, and also quietly was 4th in points on TC last year.

agreed

and I'd be shocked if Hudon is in Canada's top six over MacKinnon

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
WinSport Calgary, which has an international surface, along with three NA surfaces.

Ok thats good, thank you.
I don't understand why they wouldn't invite Theo and keep the line together from Niagara? Am I being horribly biased in wondering this?

Theoret is being carried by those two on that line not good enough. On another note I have no clue why Percy was left off for someone like Pouliot, they already have plenty offensive type defenceman and Pouliot has very little chance to make it imo.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
What's the reason for Brendan Leipsic being left off the roster? You know the guy 4th in whl scoring.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Theoret is being carried by those two on that line not good enough. On another note I have no clue why Percy was left off for someone like Pouliot, they already have plenty offensive type defenceman and Pouliot has very little chance to make it imo.

While he isn't the fastest skater, he isn't "being carried". If you go back to when those three first got put together by Williamson you may be able to recall Ritchie getting called out in the paper about only having 1 goal to that point in the season, and Strome being criticized as a floater and having no heart/desire. While he may not be as good as his two linemates, saying Theoret is being carried is wrong.

And you'd think that any chemistry you can get would be a jumpstart?

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Didnt realize he was doing so good, and he would be a great checker in a defensive role.

?

Leipsic would be useless outside of a top 6 role. It's why he wasn't invited, because he obviously wouldn't have beat out the competition this year.

Oct 15, 2008
?

Leipsic would be useless outside of a top 6 role. It's why he wasn't invited, because he obviously wouldn't have beat out the competition this year.

Im not so sure. He is small, but he is gritty and tough. Dirty and pesky with pretty good wheels. Not easy to make the team in a lockout year though, but it isnt completely ridiculous to throw his name out there for consideration imo.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Im not so sure. He is small, but he is gritty and tough. Dirty and pesky with pretty good wheels. Not easy to make the team in a lockout year though, but it isnt completely ridiculous to throw his name out there for consideration imo.

I'm guessing that that was simply the reason HC chose not to invite him.

If the lockout ends, perhaps things change.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
?

He would not be useless in the bottom 6, but I don't think he would make this team with all that is out there to choose from. I wasn't complaining that he wasn't picked, hopefully next year. He would be a great penalty killer and he hits like he is a foot taller.
youtube him, if you haven't seen him play

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
I know that there are players better than him haha, and Barkov is a special player, there is no doubt in my mind that he goes straight to the NHL, but its becoming a commonality for talented players to go the NHL straight out of the draft. He is near as good as his numbers say, I have watched him play on numerous occasions. To be in the same level of draftee as let's say, Lindholm and Monahan, is quite the feat, and that is where he is at. I personally don't think his game is NHL ready, but you really never know with talented prospects. Guys like Skinner and Burmistrov can make the NHL as 18 year olds. Drouin has a lot to offer, and in near a years time, there is a lot of progress to be made.

I don't think he makes it next year. There's still things he can work on and get bigger... As for "feeding off MacKinnon" I don't buy into that. If you watch him night in night out you can see he has the skill and ability to make others around him better... I wish they'd split them up in Halifax for experient purposes haha.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Little disappointed that Adam Lowry didn't get an invite.

I didn't think his chances for cracking the team (in a bottom six role) were great, but I thought he had a very good chance of getting an invite.

I know his skating isn't that great, so maybe it played larger into consideration due to the bigger ice surface.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

Could have been this years Brad Marchand.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
My opinion:
Liepsic wasnt invited because the only notable about him during the Summer Series was the inability of announcers to say his name.

Oct 15, 2008
My opinion:
Liepsic wasnt invited because the only notable about him during the Summer Series was the inability of announcers to say his name.

Well, if you had watched him play in the WHL final last year you would know that he is a player and has value. Im guessing you didnt so we are left to enjoy comments like the above.

Btw, he scored four goals tonight.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
My opinion:

Just because the summer series was the only time you've seen a player doesn't mean that's the only time hc has seen a player. People on here are putting way too much stock in a couple of games played in August

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Just because the summer series was the only time you've seen a player doesn't mean that's the only time hc has seen a player. People on here are putting way too much stock in a couple of games played in August

My point is that you can tear up the WHL, but if you fail to impress in games of high value, it hurts your chances.

Stats would say he deserves a spot over Ty Rattie. The Summer Series said otherwise

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This is Bob McKenzie's currently projected depth chart. I still think it would be a mistake to not include Drouin/MacKinnon

Agreed.

I also think it'd also be a mistake to have Scheifele/Camara and Strome/Ritchie on the team and then not play them together too.

Considering Strome's chemistry with Huberdeau and Ritchie, I think that could be a dynamite line.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like:

Huberdeau-Strome-Ritchie
Camara-RNH-Scheifele
Danault-Jenner-Rattie
Drouin-MacKinnon-Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5