WC: Roster Talk '11 – Switzerland

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
I found this on nhl.com about Sbisa:

Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry both said they won't play for Canada in the world championships … Lubomir Visnovsky revealed that both his shoulders are injured and that he was playing at about 50 percent. The right one was badly injured April 2 but Visnovsky said he won't need surgery. He is undecided about playing in the World Championships … Jonas Hiller said he is feeling better and "moving forward, even though it's slower than I want it to be" with his vertigo. He has upcoming medical appointments as he continues to search for the source of the problem … Toni Lydman and Matt Beleskey will have shoulder surgery Monday, general manager Bob Murray said … Cam Fowler and Luca Sbisa will play for the U.S. and Switzerland, respectively, in the world championships.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It's now also on sehv.ch, Sbisa will join the Swiss team, Tim Ramholt will have to travel home. Sbisa will be in Svk tomorrow.

Gerber won't join, he talked with Simpson and they both decided that he shouldn't join, although the article doesn't say anything about the specific reasons.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
hockeyfans.ch confirms that Sbisa will replace Ramholt, but unfortunately Gerber won't join the team.

Edit: argh, beaten to it by less than one minute :rant:

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
Hello my Swiss friends.

I'm building my fantasy team and I would love to choose two players from Swiss team. 1 goalie, 1 forward. Who will be the likely selection for starting goalie in the first match and should I take Ryan Gardner for the forward spot?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Von Gunten has a muscle-injury on his breast, nothing too serious I guess.

FinRuutu, I have no idea who will be the starting goalie, it could be Stephan or Genoni. About forwards, I'd take one from the Gardner-Plüss-Rüthemann line, Gardner showed that he's in a great shape in the preparation-games.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
Von Gunten has a muscle-injury on his breast, nothing too serious I guess.

FinRuutu, I have no idea who will be the starting goalie, it could be Stephan or Genoni. About forwards, I'd take one from the Gardner-Plüss-Rüthemann line, Gardner showed that he's in a great shape in the preparation-games.

Thanks, Gardner it is then. I'll just have to check out later if there is somekind of information about the starting goalie.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Not sure Weber will be called. Who do you drop to make space for him? He can't really replace guys like Bezina, Gerber or Furrer, and the five other players are pretty much set.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Weber can replace anyone, he's better than anyone beside Sbisa on the Swiss defence. Would be very wasteful not to call him.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Weber is not better than Diaz, Seger or Vauclair, and has a style very different from the others. It's difficult to fit him in this defense.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
From what I saw this season he is better and he's no more just a PP-player. He can play in his own zone, he can play PK, he's not the Weber of the Olympics anymore.

It's just a waste of talent not to call a player with 41 NHL-games and 11 points this season.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
agree with STV11, he'd be a nice acquisition, and I'm eager to see him, but he's not better than half the D-corps IMO.

Though when there's a chance to get rid of Furrer, it's a big plus anyway. (nothing against Furrer, as a person, but I can't think of a half decent game on NT by him)

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Weber has taken his game another step this season. There's a reason he got to play 41 games this season compared to last year's 5 games.

Last season:
AHL: 65 games - 7 goals.
NHL: 5 games - 0 points.

This season:
AHL: 15 games - 8 goals.
NHL: 41 games - 11 points.
NHL Playoffs: 3 games - 2 goals.

That's not a fluke. He'd be your best offensive defenseman on paper. Although on paper and reality are two different things.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Tobias Stephan will start vs. France.
Philippe Furrer will not be registered, on offence Simon Moser and Daniel Rubin won't play in the first round.
Déruns injured himself yesterday in the training, it's not clear if he can play.

The Right Price

May 9, 2010
Weber would be your best offensive D man who is also defensevely responsible. He played an excellent season + playoffs for the Canadiens.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
According to 20min.ch Weber will come. Fine. :)

Seger gets the C, well deserved. Bezina, Plüss and Rüthemann will get an A.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Bezina is out with a dislocated shoulder and will be replaced by John Gobbi. Now Simpson would be happy to have Weber. :(

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Is there a reason Genoni isn't your number one goalie right now?

mrSlot

Jan 18, 2009
tsürii
Bezina is out with a dislocated shoulder and will be replaced by John Gobbi. Now Simpson would be happy to have Weber. :(

that`s bad news - for bezina and the team! hopefully someone can replace him accordingly! and I dont think it will be gobbi, but we`ll see!

in addition to this we don`t really know in what condition seger is. It looked painful for sure - if he wasn`t the captain he might have been sent home.

Is there a deadline to call up weber? If I remember correctly simpson is allowed to call up 2 more players right before the qualifying round begins :help:

but I think the decision of leaving weber out of the lineup remains!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad