WC: Roster Talk '11 – Switzerland

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The team that played against Russia on Friday april 7th.

Tobias Stephan
Seger
Goran Bezina
Philippe Furrer
Julien Vauclair
Gobbi
Beat Gerber
Simon Lüthi
Gardner
Martin Plüss
Rüthemann
Monnet
Ambühl
Sprunger
Lötscher
Trachsler
Simon Moser
Thomas Déruns
Savary
Rubin
Sandy Jeannin

Any opinion on who will stay and who will leave ? or comments on the 4-2 victory against Russia ?

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
The team that played against Russia on Friday april 7th.

Tobias Stephan
Seger
Goran Bezina
Philippe Furrer
Julien Vauclair
Gobbi
Beat Gerber
Simon Lüthi
Gardner
Martin Plüss
Rüthemann
Monnet
Ambühl
Sprunger
Lötscher
Trachsler
Simon Moser
Thomas Déruns
Savary
Rubin
Sandy Jeannin

Any opinion on who will stay and who will leave ? or comments on the 4-2 victory against Russia ?

Well, I've watch it.
It reminded me of the Champions League Matchup ZSC- Magnitogorsk.

Skating- and especially skillwise Russia was superior, but the swiss played more disciplined, a much better defensive effort, and when having the puck, they had a good mix between solid play and going hard into the off. zone when the situation allowed it. the longer the game was the better the swiss.

1st: the very beginning was balanced, then the russians took over the game, dangling sometimes at will, through 2 or 3 players... oftenly the swiss stayed disciplined and just tried to keep the defensive side and let them cycle in the perimeter. But when the Tarasenko-Panarin (WJC-heroes) combo was on the ice, they created a lot of havoc. They had chances for 3 or 4 Goals, hitting the post twice. IIRC, the swiss had 2 PP's which helped keeping the pressure of.
Both teams gave a nice effort when fighting for pucks, though allaround the swiss were grittier.
When the Swiss finally gained controll of the puck they made good choices, because of the lack of russian D coverage, and the new swiss system under Simpson, this explosive counterattacks with upto 4 skaters gave them some highquality chances.
one of them was the very nice goal of M. Plüss.

2nd: Sprunger had an other one-on-one against the russian G and missed. then the russians took over again, mainly cause of too many penaltys, which finally led to Rybin's monsterslapper. 1-1! afterwards the swiss were lucky with a quick whistle after a sensational play by tarasenko beating 3 guys, and falling into the crease still able to shoot, Panarin scored on the rebound after the whistle.
sthen the game evened out again. the swiss spending more time down low, holding the puck better. this team looks more and more like a simpson team, disciplined but very smart with the puck. and finally an other beautiful play by Plüss with a soft cross-ice pass into free ice for gardner to finish it top-shelf backhand in style seconds before the buzzer.

3rd: The swiss came out strong finishing checks, finding openspace to create stuff, and pressured the russian goal, which led to Monnet's 3-1. the pressure continued, and out of nothing Tarasenko's genius broke out again, 3-2!

The game went north-south now for a while with the swiss being just playing a tad simpler and straighter to the net. very entertaining, and after an extra effort of Lötscher and a luckily redirected pass to Trachsler from behind the net, it was 4-2.

Now the russians lost half a step and the swiss could hold the result.

Congratulations!

The best player IMO was Tarasenko, his talentlevel is through the roof and it's obvious he'll be a definitiv lock for Sbornaja from now on, regardless of who's joining them from NA. For Russia, Panarin was very good for 40 minutes, quick and a hell of a shot. Rybin had some good physical and skill play beside his goal. as well as Arthukin. Dvurechensky looked promising as well with his signatue rocket like acceleration along the boards, trying to beat the D wide.

For the swiss:
It really was a good all around effort. It looks like a Russian team without his superstars is a nice matchup for the swiss stylewise. The Russiansplay like a superior NLA-Team with incredible hands through the roster, basing their game on skating, but more important giving you a lot of free ice to create.
So it's logical that people who stand out on NLA-Level were the best today:
Bezina on D was outstanding, one of his very best showings on NT, his skating was better than in most nights. very well thought plays out of a zone, finding the perfect timing more than once to join a rush and contribute. and none of his standart 2 big mistakes a game that lead to a goal against.

Plüss on Off. was the second best forward on the ice, the only thing I don't like about him is his age.:) Always smart, solid on D, creative on attack. (His line was present all night)

Stephan was very good through all the game, but especially in the 1st keeping the team in the game. Big, calm, focused. very nice.

Sprunger had a hard time at the beginning, slow and unlucky, but he stayed in the game, and together with Monnet had a strong 3rd period.

Moser and Lötscher, big, gritty playing combo, solid skating and hands, looked good together, installing a cycling down low more than once. Moser ran into a check of Arthukin, got up and kept fighting for the puck. nice to see.

P.Furrer was unlucky, (as usual against Russia:sarcasm:),and the weakest member of a strong team. hope some guys out of the PO-Final or NA replace him

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I hope that some of the NA-guys loose in the first round. I'd love to have Sbisa and Wick on the team.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I hope that some of the NA-guys loose in the first round. I'd love to have Sbisa and Wick on the team.

Isn't Bingo out of a playoff spot? If so Wick will probably be there. I don't know what Streit's status is, but is there any chance he could play?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I think Bingo is in the Playoffs, but as they are quite at the bottom chances for an out in the first round are quite high.
Streit won't play, still not ready.

The Plüss-Rüthemann-Gardner line looks quite good. Lötscher will also have a spot.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Oh, I forgot, according to several sources Damien Brunner will be back next week although it seemed that his season ended. The Swiss federation paid him a trip to the USA to a special doctor Andy Murray recommended and now he can skate without pain.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Apparently all our AHL North American guys will be in playoffs ... unless eliminated quickly. (Binghampton, Milwaukee and Oklahoma,)
the NHL guys are also all in the Playoffs (Sbisa and Weber) or out (Hiller and Streit)
After last years' performance ... i must say that i, quite happily, see out team without the "NA's". It redistributes the roles and it is a plus for our guys (IMHO).

and hey hey ... a new victory over Russia ! 5-4 with 2 goals in the last minutes !
their is a silly french song :"c'est bon pour le moral, c'est bon pour le moral"!!

how was the game ... more balanced ... ? apparently the Russians were better organized. so far i couldn't find stats on the game. it would be interesting.

Tks Duga for your excellent report on the last game. very interesting.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Apparently all our AHL North American guys will be in playoffs ... unless eliminated quickly. (Binghampton, Milwaukee and Oklahoma,)
the NHL guys are also all in the Playoffs (Sbisa and Weber) or out (Hiller and Streit)
After last years' performance ... i must say that i, quite happily, see out team without the "NA's". It redistributes the roles and it is a plus for our guys (IMHO).

and hey hey ... a new victory over Russia ! 5-4 with 2 goals in the last minutes !
their is a silly french song :"c'est bon pour le moral, c'est bon pour le moral"!!

how was the game ... more balanced ... ? apparently the Russians were better organized. so far i couldn't find stats on the game. it would be interesting.

Tks Duga for your excellent report on the last game. very interesting.

well, let me put it like this:
a solid effort on the ice by the team forced me to give a solid effort behind the computer, so your welcome.

haven't seen todays game, so no comment from me.

would be nice if Wick somehow gets to the team, together with Brunner he would upgrade the attack significantly.

On D I think they would be just fine with Diaz back, and one or two additions from the final teams. no desperate need for NA talent. But Dubois' and von Gunten's tanks could be death empty. Is Forster acctually available, or still retired ?(we all know he's Pejorative Slured:sarcasm:?) he could be very important.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I don't think Portland will get knocked out. :(

Beat Forster is retired. Tim Ramholt may be a possibility, he's a very good shut-down defender.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
When does the tournament start? and any news on the final roster? Will Conz be on it?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Not sure Conz will be in, the goalies currently playing the playoffs final could both make the team ahead of him.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Don't think Rüeger will be selected, but Gerber is still a possibility, so it depends on him. Anyway, I don't think Conz will play, as Simpson seems to like Stephan very much and Genoni is also in great shape.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Stephan and Genoni will be the top two goalies for sure (unless Gerber joins the team), but after them there are arguments for both Conz and Rüeger. Conz could get some experience, while Rüeger has already showed that he understand the thrid goalie role and his experience could be valuable to the coaching staff.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I don't think Portland will get knocked out. :(

Beat Forster is retired. Tim Ramholt may be a possibility, he's a very good shut-down defender.

it's a pity with Forster,but him and Simpson don't seem to work very well together. so with no Helbling, Forster, Sbisa or Hirschi I'm missing a bit a mean,punishing hitter on D. Bezina could, but hardly ever does anymore, and he never had a good timing anyway.

I'd prefer Ramholt much over Furrer, as well as Grossmann, and when Dubois and von Gunten still got energy left as well of course.

....i've just seen the news: no Jeannin, Romy, Bykov and Brunner... so there aren't many players left to cut on offense. with Savary still abit injured, there are only 2 natural Centers left (Plüss and Trachsler), Ambühl will play C as well.Who else Lötscher or Monnet? I don't think he takes Gardner off the Plüss-Line?
So he probably has to take another C out of the PO-Finalists. (Lemm, Steinmann?)

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Duca is another possibility, and Ambühl will definitively play center with Monnet and Sprunger. Lemm usually play winger with the national team, but without his usual linemates Jeannin and Wick, he will maybe play center, though I can't see a spot for him on an offensive line.

And which forwards from Davos and Kloten will make it? Guggisberg, Bürgler, Bieber and maybe Stancescu?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Guggisberg will get an eye-surgery after the season and won't be available.

Bodenmann maybe?

It's a pity that Brunner isn't allowed to come. The federation pays a trip to the US and afterwards the EV Zug says no. :(

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Duca is another possibility, and Ambühl will definitively play center with Monnet and Sprunger. Lemm usually play winger with the national team, but without his usual linemates Jeannin and Wick, he will maybe play center, though I can't see a spot for him on an offensive line.

And which forwards from Davos and Kloten will make it? Guggisberg, Bürgler, Bieber and maybe Stancescu?

Beside the operation, I'm just not sure if Guggisberg has the toughness to succeed on internat. level. But he definitiv is a very nice player to watch when he got space to skate.

I hope Bürgler makes the team, he got so many tricks to finish a play and is getting more and more gritty.

I wonder if any Kloten player will be fresh enough. But it seems that Bieber and Bodemann got more left in there tank than Lemm and Stancescu, who plays on such a high energylevel.

About Lemm as Center on NT. He has played C most of the time this year. Can't say that about the few years before.
and could deliver as 3rd line C as well.

Steinmann looks not too bad IMO, but probably not this year yet.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
It's a pity that Brunner isn't allowed to come. The federation pays a trip to the US and afterwards the EV Zug says no. :(

Was my first thought as well. but maybe it's a good thing in the long thinking. he had a tough season, already on the skinny side, lost a lot of weight with the virus he caught. and got injured again. but he is a very positively energetic guy, who's used to quickly stand up again, a guy you may have to calm down once in a while, they want him to rest his body, and than use that energy to add a few pounds. and make him more robust.

we all know, that when he adds some pounds, he'll get really close to an NA adventure.

Last edited:

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
Oh please: Romy was cut and Duca called..........But Duca is no more a n-team player. He was one of the best swiss forwards 3 and 4 years ago, when krueger newer saw him....but after this season......please!!...it's more understable if Simpson calls Baumle (After these series Indeed indeed one of the three best nla goalie in this moment)...or Pestoni (who was better than Duca): young and a great heart, good pp player, and great defensive game in the offense. but he is problably to young.

Forgive me for the language.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad