WC: Roster Talk '11 – Switzerland

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Oh please: Romy was cut and Duca called..........But Duca is no more a n-team player. He was one of the best swiss forwards 3 and 4 years ago, when krueger newer saw him....but after this season......please!!...it's more understable if Simpson calls Baumle (After these series Indeed indeed one of the three best nla goalie in this moment)...or Pestoni (who was better than Duca): young and a great heart, good pp player, and great defensive game in the offense. but he is problably to young.

Forgive me for the language.

Duca was called many times by Krueger but never delivered. He's been ok in last year's tournament so I guess there's nothing wrong in giving him a try with the lack of depth at center.

About Pestoni, he's simply not good enough to replace any of the current offensive players.

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
I say Pestoni only because he was better then duca all along the season: and will be in the top 10 quickly, mayble playing the season with better players then this year..... Duca had great problem against Viege, i can't think he can be good for the Worlds. Last year played only because we played whit a b-team. And last year Duca played the season at good niveau....this year was screaming...

Krueger loved some players and didn't some others: also Paolo....Simpson like Duca why he was in the team in Zug....but i dont think this year will be enough......

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
The question isn't about who is a better overall player between Duca and Pestoni, it's about who is higher on the depth chart. Pestoni is way below the top scoring wingers, while Duca is closer from the best gritty centers.

And this year's team will be a "B" team too anyway. Fortunately we have decent depth now.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Who knows. Paterlini and Della Rossa were mostly weak in the Swiss league but were great in international tournaments.

Anaheim lost the first game, 3 more losses for Sbisa, I'd really enjoy seeing him again in the Swiss jersey.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Swiss friends, I visited your land for a month this year and you will forever be my second favourite country. Seriously. I've covered half the globe and you've earned a bit of my heart forever.

I'm so happy to consider you the fastest rising country in Men's hockey. I hope you have a top 5 finish this year, it's not far off.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Swiss friends, I visited your land for a month this year and you will forever be my second favourite country. Seriously. I've covered half the globe and you've earned a bit of my heart forever.

I'm so happy to consider you the fastest rising country in Men's hockey. I hope you have a top 5 finish this year, it's not far off.

Thanks for your good words. I apprciate them very much, specially if you covered half of the world.

I also hope that we will finish in the top ... we will see what top !
But as a matter of facts i also believe that it isn't so far off. Specially for the WC. Because most of the players are still in the NHL ... and since most of our players play in Switzerland ... we have a serious advantage.
With some luck in the opponent (avoiding the Swedes !) and good games ... it should be dooable.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
With some luck in the opponent (avoiding the Swedes !) and good games ... it should be dooable.

if i understood the schedule correctly, you'd likely face sweden and US in the qualification round. so let's assume after losing to canada and beating belarus/france in the prelim round, you are able to beat US and norway (or austria). so probably 3rd in the qual.round. and the 2nd place of the other group could be finland/czech/slovakia, assuming russia takes the 1st place.
switzerland should be good enough to win over finland, czechs or slovakia on a good day. it's not a given, still outsiders, but the chance is surely there.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
This would be realistic with more available players, but upsetting both the US and one of Finland/Czech/Slovakia with a B team would a huge achievement.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
if i understood the schedule correctly, you'd likely face sweden and US in the qualification round. so let's assume after losing to canada and beating belarus/france in the prelim round, you are able to beat US and norway (or austria). so probably 3rd in the qual.round. and the 2nd place of the other group could be finland/czech/slovakia, assuming russia takes the 1st place.
switzerland should be good enough to win over finland, czechs or slovakia on a good day. it's not a given, still outsiders, but the chance is surely there.

This is a prediction on paper. An intuitive expected return in some sort.

but
We are not beaten by Canada yet !
We haven't beaten the Belarus yet !
We haven't beaten the Norwegians nor the Americans yet !

To me the only, almost reliable forecasts is to win against the French and loose against the Swedes ! :laugh:

But whatever, i prefer facing the Swedes in the group rather than in a duel to go to the next round.

In the rest, all is much more open. Therefore with luck ... who knows where the wind and the hockey sticks may bring us !

In other words, the swiss team has a level that is new, and has a new coach ... the dispersion around the reasonable expectation is too big to expect something. Therefore is say that to be in the semi-finals should be dooable (feasable) ... i did not say that i expect them to finish their !

I simply think that it is possible ... and i hope that we will !

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Simpson adds 8 players from the two teams in the championship final.

Cut: Benjamin Conz, Thomas Wellinger, Simon Lüthi.

The roster for the last preparation-week in Switzerland looks like this:

G (3): Genoni Leonardo (HC Davos), Manzato Daniel (Rapperswil-Jona Lakers), Stephan Tobias (Genève-Servette HC).

D (11) : Bezina Goran (Genève-Servette HC), Diaz Rafael (EV Zug), Du Bois Félicien (Kloten Flyers), Gobbi John (Genève-Servette HC), Furrer Philippe (SC Bern), Gerber Beat (SC Bern), Grossmann Robin (HC Davos), Ramholt Tim (HC Davos), Seger Mathias (ZSC Lions), Vauclair Julien (HC Lugano), Von Gunten Patrick (Kloten Flyers).

F (16): Ambühl Andres (ZSC Lions), Bieber Matthias (Kloten Flyers), Déruns Thomas (SC Bern), Duca Paolo (HC Ambrì-Piotta), Gardner Ryan (SC Bern), Lemm Romano (Kloten Flyers), Lötscher Kevin (EHC Biel), Monnet Thibaut (ZSC Lions), Moser Simon (SCL Tigers), Plüss Martin (SC Bern), Rubin Daniel (Genève-Servette HC), Rüthemann Ivo (SC Bern), Savary Paul (Genève-Servette HC), Sprunger Julien (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Stancescu Victor (Kloten Flyers), Trachsler Morris (Genève-Servette HC).

And until the end of the week we see if there will be any addition from NA. Gerber is 0-2 down while Wick, Josi and Sbisa are 1-1 tied. Weber with Montreal is 2-0 up.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I'm a little surprised Manzato was taken ahead of both Rüeger and Conz, but Stephan and Genoni will be the top two goalies anyway.

No surprise in the Kloten players called, but on the Davos side I expected Bürgler to get a chance rather than Ramholt and Grossman. Hopefully Wick and either Sbisa or Josi can join the team.

Last edited:

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I'm a little surprised Manzato was taken ahead of both Rüeger and Conz, but Stephan and Genoni will be the top two goalies anyway.

No surprise in the Kloten players called, but on the Davos side I expected Bürgler to get a chance rather than Ramholt and Grossman. Hopefully Wick and either Sbisa or Josi can join the team.

Manzato has earned it, responding to every call, always brings good performances on NT...and never complained when he got cut or can't play...a pefect Nr.3 (as would be Rüeger)

For Conz, the competition with experienced talent is still too big IMO, we will see him soon on NT though. It's really a luxury the depth we have right now in this position.

agree completely about Bürgler, he already showed good games for NT, and of all the willing forwards left of the final, he'd have been the one with the biggest impact IMO. maybe he got an injury?

but Bieber's combination of workethik, speed, technique and a solid scoring touch is intriguing for the future.

If it is up to you to choose,what would be your final team out of the acctual roster?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
If it is up to you to choose,what would be your final team out of the acctual roster?

If I'm Sean Simpson, I want to keep the Monnet-Ambühl-Sprunger and Rüthemann-Plüss-Gardner lines, though I wonder if Rüthemann and Plüss wouldn't be better with a more physical player (that line didn't work out in 2009, but was better last year with Paterlini or Déruns). Then it depends if Wick joins the team. If so, I'd play him with Lemm and maybe Bieber, and keep the Lötscher-Trachsler-Moser line, though I would replace one of Moser or Gardner with Déruns. Without Wick, I'd create an agressive forechecking line based on speed with Savary and Déruns, and also keep the Lötscher-Trachsler pair.

On defense, the most likely to be dropped is Gobbi. I've never liked Bezina, but I must admit he's done well this season and expect him to make the team unless his injury is too serious. I think the other cuts will be among Furrer, Ramholt, Grossman and Gerber. Then there's the possibility of Sbisa or Josi joining the team.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
If I'm Sean Simpson, I want to keep the Monnet-Ambühl-Sprunger and Rüthemann-Plüss-Gardner lines, though I wonder if Rüthemann and Plüss wouldn't be better with a more physical player (that line didn't work out in 2009, but was better last year with Paterlini or Déruns). Then it depends if Wick joins the team. If so, I'd play him with Lemm and maybe Bieber, and keep the Lötscher-Trachsler-Moser line, though I would replace one of Moser or Gardner with Déruns. Without Wick, I'd create an agressive forechecking line based on speed with Savary and Déruns, and also keep the Lötscher-Trachsler pair.

On defense, the most likely to be dropped is Gobbi. I've never liked Bezina, but I must admit he's done well this season and expect him to make the team unless his injury is too serious. I think the other cuts will be among Furrer, Ramholt, Grossman and Gerber. Then there's the possibility of Sbisa or Josi joining the team.

Well and if I was Sandro Bertaggia, I'd tap your shoulder and say: "well thought boss, as usual."

Gardner is really hard to judge as a player. he's a bit a swiss version of Holmström (not stylewise but valuewise), he does some stuff quite bad, but his game quality in front of the goal is just of unique value. and I agree the Rüthemann-PlüssLine is the only option for him.

and I'wonder if Deruns can reach last years level of play,he's lacking a bit energy this year IMO

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Today we lost 8-3 to Russia.
So far ... everything is +/- unsurprising ... now :

we out shot them by 49-23 !!

Since i didn't see the game ... does someone has more informations on HOW we lost this game or what exactly happened ?

tks

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
Today we lost 8-3 to Russia.
So far ... everything is +/- unsurprising ... now :

we out shot them by 49-23 !!

Since i didn't see the game ... does someone has more informations on HOW we lost this game or what exactly happened ?

tks

I think you mean the under 18 game!

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Josi could still get called up once Milwaukee is out, if Nashville goes to the second round.

Of course in this case Sbisa would be available.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Besides, Wick and Josi seem to be in good shape. It would be interesting to see them in Slovakia. But Milwaukee, Oklahoma and Binghamton won yesterdsay.

Last edited:

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
CAn anyone explain to me why Bürgler wasn't even on the 28-men roster?
Guys like Rubin are a joke as long as you could nominate one of the MVP's of the playoffs.
1 skater out of the champions roster is definitely not accurate..

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Any news on Sbisa joining or not?

No news yet, same for Gerber who also is available. I really hope both will join, would be a nice upgrade.

On Bürgler, there is just no room for him on the offensive lines I think. But I also think that Rubin will be one of the players who won't get registered.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
No news yet, same for Gerber who also is available. I really hope both will join, would be a nice upgrade.

On Bürgler, there is just no room for him on the offensive lines I think. But I also think that Rubin will be one of the players who won't get registered.

No Gerber for me, there is enough Goalie-Talent around, it's time to move on.

you're probably right about Bürgler, there's no room for him in the 2 def.lines. and Gardner, who he could've replaced, had a few good moments in preperation games.Though he played quite a grinding game in the playoffs, and should develop into a grinding Goalscorer of very good quality, a more talented Stancescu. And I see him as a lock for future teams, if it's 1st, 2nd or 3rd line doesn't matter.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Gerbs is just so a great guy with a huge experience and I think he could bring this team a lot. Even without playing, but in my opinion he's still better than Stephan/Genoni.

Sbisa would be a huge upgrade to the defence of course. At the moment there are 8 defenders, I think Furrer and/or Ramholt may be the ones who won't get registered.
In the offence there are 14 players, I guess he'll take 13 into the first game, Rubin may be the man out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad