WC: Roster Talk '11 – USA

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
It'd be nice to get Carlson or JVR, but that seems too unlikely to bother contemplating. I'd like to see what Miele or Gardiner could add but the question is, who do they replace in the lineup? I'd be fine putting Gardiner in for Fayne at the very least. Miele is harder to place, though it'd be interesting to get him out on the powerplay. Considering the two other college guys have been pretty solid, I don't think these guys should be dismissed outright.

It only makes sense to give Conklin the start against Canada. It's going to be very hard to beat them either way but Montoya just hasn't played at the level needed.

Anyway, the team has a chance at the quarterfinals but it's hard seeing them advance beyond that.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
According to the IIHF, Team USA has yet to register Jack Campbell, Andy Miele, or Jake Gardiner.

I'd sub John Carlson in for Jake Gardiner in a heartbeat. He'd miss the Canada game (unless he left immediately this morning but that would have been reported by now) though. The issue is that we play back-to-back days so it's quite possible that even if we added Carlson he may miss our first 2 Qualification games. A guy like JVR would miss the entire qualification round regardless so anyone other than Carlson is probably not going to happen unless we're making a medal run. Even then, Carlson was apparently playing injured in the Tampa Bay series so I can't imagine it's likely given that and the schedule breakdown.

...Assuming they just register Miele and Gardiner, I hope we see Andy get in the game. I'd sub him in for any of Gaustad, Brown, Porter, or one of Fayne/Stuart/Komisarek and dress the extra forward. We don't play the 4th line much anyway and Miele's speed and offensive skill would be a good addition, especially to the PP. Just gives a 2 line offensive team more options. I wouldn't mind seeing Gardiner get in either but only in place of one of Fayne/Stuart/Komisarek and the latter two wouldn't be scratched so it probably wouldn't matter anyway because I wouldn't want any of them playing more than 10 minutes/game. We need to heavily rely on the Johnson/Fowler and McDonagh/Shattenkirk pairings here on out. If we lose, lets do so with our best players. Komisarek/Stuart shouldn't be seeing a regular shift outside of the PK and the other pair should only be used to spell the Top 4 when needed.

I'm torn on the goalies. Montoya has been okay overall at best but even that's a bit generous considering he was barely tested in the first 2 games and completely unraveled against Sweden (1 goal he gave away himself and 3 questionable ones as well). It may be better to go with the veteran presence against a highly favored Canada but Montoya probably also gives us a better option at "stealing" a game with a goalie. If Montoya is in, he needs a short, short leash.

Last edited:

xDerekRx

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
According to the IIHF, Team USA has yet to register Jack Campbell, Andy Miele, or Jake Gardiner.

I'd sub John Carlson in for Jake Gardiner in a heartbeat. He'd miss the Canada game (unless he left immediately this morning but that would have been reported by now) though. The issue is that we play back-to-back days so it's quite possible that even if we added Carlson he may miss our first 2 Qualification games. A guy like JVR would miss the entire qualification round regardless so anyone other than Carlson is probably not going to happen unless we're making a medal run. Even then, Carlson was apparently playing injured in the Tampa Bay series so I can't imagine it's likely given that and the schedule breakdown.

...Assuming they just register Miele and Gardiner, I hope we see Andy get in the game. I'd sub him in for any of Gaustad, Brown, Porter, or one of Fayne/Stuart/Komisarek and dress the extra forward. We don't play the 4th line much anyway and Miele's speed and offensive skill would be a good addition, especially to the PP. Just gives a 2 line offensive team more options. I wouldn't mind seeing Gardiner get in either but only in place of one of Fayne/Stuart/Komisarek and the latter two wouldn't be scratched so it probably wouldn't matter anyway because I wouldn't want any of them playing more than 10 minutes/game. We need to heavily rely on the Johnson/Fowler and McDonagh/Shattenkirk pairings here on out. If we lose, lets do so with our best players. Komisarek/Stuart shouldn't be seeing a regular shift outside of the PK and the other pair should only be used to spell the Top 4 when needed.

I'm torn on the goalies. Montoya has been okay overall at best but even that's a bit generous considering he was barely tested in the first 2 games and completely unraveled against Sweden (1 goal he gave away himself and 3 questionable ones as well). It may be better to go with the veteran presence against a highly favored Canada but Montoya probably also gives us a better option at "stealing" a game with a goalie. If Montoya is in, he needs a short, short leash.

I wouldnt take out Gaustad. Not because Im a Sabres fan but even though this USA team is built on speed and youth and skill, I like Goose on the PK and hes easily the best faceoff man in the tournament in big situations. I like him in there despite being a different style of player. I doubt we see him come out anytime in this tournament.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I wouldnt take out Gaustad. Not because Im a Sabres fan but even though this USA team is built on speed and youth and skill, I like Goose on the PK and hes easily the best faceoff man in the tournament in big situations. I like him in there despite being a different style of player. I doubt we see him come out anytime in this tournament.

His game isn't suited for the international ice. His face-off ability is needed but other than that he really hasn't brought anything to the team. He wouldn't be my first choice to scratch though. I'd rather only dress 7 d-men and have the extra forward in the lineup.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Whomever is running USA Hockey's live game blog(s) has no idea what they're talking about most of the time. It's cringe worthy to read through.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He'll look dynamite streaking down the wing.

Yes indeed.

JVR - Stepan - Wheeler
Kreider - Shannon - Smith
Miele - Stastny - Stapleton
Porter - Gaustad - Brown
Skille/Palmieri

Although I'm not sure what happened to Palmieri today. Under 6 mins of ice time and none in the 3rd. Until I see something I'll just assume he was benched today and it will either be him, Porter, or Skille coming out for JVR.

On another note: Would you rather see us go top heavy on the 1st line or try and spread the balance a little bit?

JVR - Stepan - Wheeler

or

JVR - Stepan - Smith
Kreider - Shannon - Wheeler

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Yes indeed.

JVR - Stepan - Wheeler
Miele - Stastny - Stapleton
Porter - Gaustad - Brown
Skille/Palmieri

Although I'm not sure what happened to Palmieri today. Under 6 mins of ice time and none in the 3rd. Until I see something I'll just assume he was benched today and it will either be him, Porter, or Skille coming out for JVR.

On another note: Would you rather see us go top heavy on the 1st line or try and spread the balance a little bit?

JVR - Stepan - Wheeler

or

JVR - Stepan - Smith
Kreider - Shannon - Wheeler

Stepan and Wheeler have demonstrated some good chemistry, so I would probably keep them together with Smith. It would be nice to put JVR on a line with a good playmaker, but we're short on those. Perhaps give Miele a shot?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Stepan and Wheeler have demonstrated some good chemistry, so I would probably keep them together with Smith. It would be nice to put JVR on a line with a good playmaker, but we're short on those. Perhaps give Miele a shot?

So something like:

JVR - Miele - Kreider

I don't know if Gordon would be willing to put two college players together on the same line.

I think we have to put our best forward - JVR - with our best playmaker - Stepan. If we leave the top line in tact, we're either going to be bumping Kreider to the 3rd line or playing him on RW, which may not be the right move given his inexperience.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Really glad James is going!! He looked amazing in the playoffs.

A few buddies of mine asked him for some memoribilla to bring home.

(I asked for a Jack Johnson puck haha)

xDerekRx

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
What a boost to have a player like JVR added this late.

USA is in good position too.

I want to keep Smith - Stepan - Wheeler together.

If JVR was there from Day 1, I would have said put him as the LW on the first line but since we are 5 games in together, you cant split up that first line that has been working so well.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Great to hear that JVR's coming. This team is dying for someone who can finish scoring chances. Hell, this team is dying for someone who can shoot the damn puck on net.

The sloppiness of this group has been really tough to watch. The piss poor passing and constant flubbing of scoring chances is awful. It's like American forwards that don't end up with top six NHL roles completely sell out any offensive skill they may have in an effort to become a grinder. I can't blame them though considering they make more money sitting in the press box in the NHL than they'd make playing in any other league.

As an aside from these wc's, I really hope the emphasis on skill development in the new American development model pays dividends down the road. With the amount of kids we've got playing we really should be producing more skill players.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
JVR is already in Slovakia and registered with the IIHF. He will be playing tomorrow.

Since Sweden beat Switzerland today, we clinched a QF spot. Switzerland has to win tomorrow to possibly advance though over Norway where as if we win we'll just clinch the 3rd spot in our qualifying group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad