WC: Roster Talk '11 – USA

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Definitely was hoping it would be someone more offensive but Gaustad is better than no one.

Mark Stuart named captain for Men's Nat'l Team. Jack Johnson, Mike Brown, Paul Gaustad, Mike Komisarek will be alternate captains.

Some more notes from Kevin Allen:

Going into the tournament, the U.S. plan is to play Stepan with Blake Wheeler, who was an 18-goal scorer for the Atlanta Thrashers. The third member of the line will be Nashville Predators prospect Craig Smith, a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin who was a point-per-game forward.

Johnson and Gaustad aren't expected to arrive in time for Saturday's opener in Kosice, Slovakia.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/2011-04-29-worlds-advance_N.htm

I hope they're still planning on holding out Jake Gardiner for the first 3 game. Even if Jack isn't there in time for the first game we need him for the next 2. I'd assume that's the case since both Johnson and Gaustad were given letters but who knows with USA Hockey.

Last edited:

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
It's encouraging to hear Craig Smith is playing well on a line with Stepan and Wheeler. US needs an "x-factor" to emerge from their modest forward corps. Kevin Allen also indicates Clay Wilson will play some wing if necessary. Scoring by committee is welcome, so long as they score goals.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
so with the new additions its likely gardiner wont play?

It's likely so, yes, at least for the first 3 games but I haven't seen any news saying it's the case for sure. But the last three additions (after playoff eliminations) on defense were Jack Johnson, Cam Fowler, and Ryan McDonagh. USA Hockey would be crazy to make any of them sit out the first 3, even if it might mean having to hold out a second guy for the first game since Johnson might not be there in time. We need to make sure we're in the qualification round where anything can happen.

It's just we've already named the maximum 25 players we can have so 2 players can't play during the opening 3 games. Gardiner is just the second youngest and least experienced of the d-men. So if you're working on the assumption that it won't be Fowler, Johnson, or McDonagh, it also won't be Stuart (C) or Komisarek (A). We need Shattenkirk's offense so it's not him either. That leaves Fayne, Wilson, and Gardiner. Wilson had 1+1 in the exhibition and was praised by Gordon for his strong practices and ability to play wing as well so I think we can count on him to dress. That leaves Fayne or Gardiner.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
- Andy Miele and Jake Gardiner are the two guys that will not play in the first 3 games. Neither can be registered and eligible to play until after the round robin so technically they could be replaced but I can't imagine that would happen.

- Jack Johnson made it in time and will play tomorrow morning against Austria. Paul Gaustad and Jack Campbell won't join the team until May 1st.

- Ty Conklin will start the game against Austria.

http://usahockey2.com/usah_blogs/mens/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/GameNotes_TeamUSAvsAUS_043011.pdf

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I only saw the highlights of the exhibition game so it's hard to really make much of the decisions. Gardiner was expected but I figured Miele would get a shot with his offensive ability and skating given the lack of talent we have up front. He had a PP assist in exhibition and a beautiful cross-ice pass pass on the PP that should have been buried by Shattenkirk as well. Conklin gave up both goals as well in the exhibition. I'd think the plan is to give Montoya the Norway game and then based on their respective play give the better guy the Sweden game with the idea they're the #1 from there on out.

Last tournament Scott Gordon didn't make any line changes until we had been stuck in the relegation round. Lets hope if they're struggling to find any chemistry again he won't wait until it's too late to try something to change those fortunes.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Interesting that they're sitting Miele while Craig Smith will get a chance on what has to be considered the first line with Stepan and Wheeler. I got to watch Miele a lot this year and I was interested in seeing him play.

Given the way strong teams have struggled with offensive chemistry against the "weaker" teams thus far it's hard not to worry about these first two games. I think we need to show major improvement from the exhibition game tomorrow to be on the right track to a respectable showing.

Diverting a bit back to previous roster discussion, I think the fact that these world championships weigh heavily on qualification and placement in the Olympics should be a bigger issue than it's been made by any of us. If we do happen to end up in relegation this year and don't have significantly better showings the next two years, I believe there's a chance we could have to compete in qualification tournaments for the next Olympics. That would be a massive embarrassment to everyone involved with US hockey. I hope this starts to be stressed to players more if it's not been already. This tournament matters.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
I only saw the highlights of the exhibition game so it's hard to really make much of the decisions. Gardiner was expected but I figured Miele would get a shot with his offensive ability and skating given the lack of talent we have up front. He had a PP assist in exhibition and a beautiful cross-ice pass pass on the PP that should have been buried by Shattenkirk as well. Conklin gave up both goals as well in the exhibition. I'd think the plan is to give Montoya the Norway game and then based on their respective play give the better guy the Sweden game with the idea they're the #1 from there on out.

Last tournament Scott Gordon didn't make any line changes until we had been stuck in the relegation round. Lets hope if they're struggling to find any chemistry again he won't wait until it's too late to try something to change those fortunes.

With Miele sitting and Gaustad en route to Slovakia, tomorrow's roster is one forward short of 4 complete lines. I anticipate Clay Wilson playing wing.

xDerekRx

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Was interested to see what who would be the other winger on the Stepan - Wheeler line. Was thinking Kreider or Palmieri.

Overall we are in a good group.

Beat Austria and Norway and worry about the next round. There is no guarantee we beat either team but we should.

Between goaltending and our skilled defense Im actually ok with what we have to get past the first round.

Again Paul Gaustad isnt the big name we wanted but hes certainly better than nothing. He played fantastic in the Buffalo/Philly series.

In the NHL hes a grinder, great faceoff man. On this team in this tournament he can probably contribute offensively a bit. He chipped in a point here or there for the Sabres as it wasnt his role but here I can see him doing something at the very least.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
Ugh. Good defense, average goaltending and a popgun offense. This is not a very good roster. Montoya et al had better be standing on their heads.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Interesting that they're sitting Miele while Craig Smith will get a chance on what has to be considered the first line with Stepan and Wheeler. I got to watch Miele a lot this year and I was interested in seeing him play.

Given the way strong teams have struggled with offensive chemistry against the "weaker" teams thus far it's hard not to worry about these first two games. I think we need to show major improvement from the exhibition game tomorrow to be on the right track to a respectable showing.

I was excited to see Miele play too. I'd guess that his defensive play wasn't up to par? Weird decision though when we need to worry about scoring.

Diverting a bit back to previous roster discussion, I think the fact that these world championships weigh heavily on qualification and placement in the Olympics should be a bigger issue than it's been made by any of us. If we do happen to end up in relegation this year and don't have significantly better showings the next two years, I believe there's a chance we could have to compete in qualification tournaments for the next Olympics. That would be a massive embarrassment to everyone involved with US hockey. I hope this starts to be stressed to players more if it's not been already. This tournament matters.

I agree. Granted, it shouldn't happen, even with the way the roster selection has gone the last two years, but you never know. I mean, the North American based argument that the IIHF too heavily weights the WC is correct but we know the way it works and we need to take the appropriate steps to rectify the pathetic amount of declined offers we've been receiving of late. It's tough though when the go-to USA Hockey GM right now basically comes out and admits he only expects a guy to go every other invite and that he doesn't expect his own player - Kessel - to play because he's played twice (actually 3 times but once as a college player). Yet Kessel hasn't played in this tournament in 4 years and turned down an invite last year as well, although he had a lingering injury that time.

Depending on the results of this tournament, or regardless of them, I'd like USA Hockey to come out and make a statement. Let Brian Burke, since he loves talking and is their head honcho right now, hold a press conference and put all American players on notice. Future participation, or declining to do so, can and will negatively impact your chances of making future teams. Make a point to mention that this will affect certain players more so than others and USA Hockey isn't going to hold guys like Ryan Miller, Patrick Kane, Ryan Suter, Zach Parise, or Jack Johnson hostage for obvious reasons. But the rest of you? How bad do you want to play? I'd really love for them to get on a big PR campaign regarding Jack Johnson's dedication to USA Hockey. A so called "Captain America" campaign if you will and get it on USA Hockey's website and NHL.com talking about his dedication to the team, his experiences, and why that dedication is going to favorably affect his chances of playing in every major tournament for us in the foreseeable future.

"You want to scold people for not coming, but you have to careful," Burke said. "If a guy plays in the world championships twice and the Olympics, how much can you ask him to do?"

I understand Burke's point but it really depends on the player. Your very best players are going to be there regardless in the best-on-best scenarios. We know it. They know it. Every American player knows it. But for the guys battling for the rest of the spots? Let them all know their decisions, and reasons, will affect their chances. Burke hinted at this in 2008/2009 but I'd do it again and more formally. Yes, playing in these tournaments takes commitment and eats into their free time and they're not paid, etc. But it's also a privilege. And if a player wants to take advantage of the ultimate privilege (Olympics, World Cup) then they better show up more often than not to the World Championships when available. I don't think that's asking too much unless those players have no aspirations of playing in the Olympics or the World Cup as they also take commitment, take up free time, don't pay, etc. This may not even work but it's worth a shot. We have nothing to lose. If no one heeds the warning and thus it has no effect, they'll still show up if they're asked to play in the Olympics. It's our only real option I can think of right now.

We can't just wait, and hope, that our depth continues to grow and grow as our only method to improvement here because unless we get to Canada's level of depth our indifference and lackadaisical approach (worst of any country) to this tournament will continually doom us.

Last edited:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I'd really love for them to get on a big PR campaign regarding Jack Johnson's dedication to USA Hockey. A so called "Captain America" campaign if you will and get it on USA Hockey's website and NHL.com talking about his dedication to the team, his experiences, and why that dedication is going to favorably affect his chances of playing in every major tournament for us in the foreseeable future.

I'm all for that. How about a "Jack Johnson - The Most Dedicated American Hockey Player in the World" campaign...

He’ll let his fiance plan the wedding cause he’s a HOCKEY PLAYER.

He doesn’t need children. He names his medals.

He’ll earn MORE money as a free agent because he played at the worlds.

He’s more interested in injuring Canadians than being injured.

He doesn’t need a college degree to know what it’s like to be an Olympian.

He craps bigger than RJ Umberger.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
I'm all for that. How about a "Jack Johnson - The Most Dedicated American Hockey Player in the World" campaign...

although still young, i know fowler is similar in that regards...saw a interview where he praised USA hockey and said he was hoping/looking forward to growing/competing with USA hockey

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
although still young, i know fowler is similar in that regards...saw a interview where he praised USA hockey and said he was hoping/looking forward to growing/competing with USA hockey

Well I think the kid is smart. He knows how tough it is going to be to crack that US blueline in 2014, players like: Suter, JJ, EJ, Bogosian, Byfuglien, Yandle, McBain, Carlson, etc are all going to be there battling it out with him. Anything that he can do to seperate himself from the group would be a huge positive, and accepting an invite for this tourney has certainly done that.

Also have to think about what the future holds for next year with players like: Blum, John Moore, Leddy, Gardiner, Kampfer, Faulk, etc all can be playing big time minutes for their teams next year adding even more challenges for Fowler..

I know Fowler is passionate about playing for the US, and becoming another version of Jack MFing Johnson is very much needed for this country.

The blueline is going to be pretty special in 4 years for the US, and I expect Fowler to be a big part of that.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Simply priceless!!!

Stay thirsty my friends!!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The IIHF website had an article on Yan Stastny, and it looks like Paul was lined up as well before he got hurt.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Paul Gaustad addition is a weird one. He's not suited for the Olympic Ice and they're playing him 4th line minutes. Not a good use of our last roster addition unless he was literally the only guy that would accept an invite.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
How many good goalkeepers do USA have? How can montoya be their first goalie?

How can James Reimer be Canada's #1 goalie? The U.S. only has so much depth. Thomas, Howard, Schneider, and Boucher are still playing. Miller and Quick had long NHL seasons and begged off. Clemmensen and Anderson's wives are both expecting children and also begged off. That's eight legit NHL goaltenders that were not available to play. Montoya struggled in the Sweden game, but had a good year with the Islanders. I'm not that upset he's the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad