Speculation: Roster Speculation XVII - Because It's Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
The main thing I saw with Risto is the last 15-20 games he just didn't have a crisp skating stride. Could have been worn down, could have been an undisclosed LBI. Risto of the middle third of the season was a pretty fair approximation of a #1.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The main thing I saw with Risto is the last 15-20 games he just didn't have a crisp skating stride. Could have been worn down, could have been an undisclosed LBI. Risto of the middle third of the season was a pretty fair approximation of a #1.
Offensively he was. Even when he's at his best he has a lot of work to do defensively. I was hoping the "head on a squiggle" moments he had the last two seasons where he had a terrible time tracking the puck would have been worked out of his game by now. It's better but it's still there.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I think Nelson gives them options on the right side. Maybe not opening night but his smarts, skating and acumen in the offensive zone are definitely welcomed on the backend. Could see him as a PP staple, especially if they add some muscle to him this off season.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
X-Risto
Gorges-Bogo
McCabe-Pysyk
Franson-Nelson

This is a really good defensive set as long as X isn't out of place. If you have to move Pysyk to make it possible then so be it.

The problems last year was everyone on the left playing up a spot, injuries, lot's of rotation of RHD into the LHD and not being able to do it, and Coliacovo existing. Those things should all be gone before this next season. The D prospects are thin, but they're looking good. No need to focus on it in the draft.

Replace X then focus on top-6 wingers. We aren't far from being good, and given what Toronto is going through we need to not **** this up.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Leave it to Buffalo fans to develop crushes on the hardworking, "blue collar" players who aren't that good. Don't want McGinn back.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
And with good reason. If you want that production you have to use him on the top pp and on a top line. We want a better player there...and if you drop him down he's just a turnstile with no production.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Gorges and Bogo will never get the puck up ice.

Bogo is fine when he brings the puck up himself. When he skates it up its the better option than him trying to pass it up.

Gorges is just bad at everything. He needs to be the guy on the 3rd pairing that brings that vet experience and that's it.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I think that Bogo and sometimes Risto tried to do too much because they could not count on their partners. And when their partners pinched the lack of coverage left them in no man's land. Bogo has good wheels and with everyone playing the same game is a good top4 D. On the left side I had high hopes for Jake but slowly dashed those hopes but latterly he is showing what we saw in his last year in college and wjc.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Gorges and Bogo will never get the puck up ice.

They managed to at the end of '14-15. Depending on usage, perhaps they can do it again. Or simply slot Gorges on the third pairing with Ristolainen and deal with the round-hole-square-peg nature of how McCabe and Bogosian don't seem to compliment one another.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
______-Ristolainen
______-________
McCabe-Pysyk
Nelson

I'm good with moving Gorges, Bogosian, Franson, and maybe even Pysyk based on what is offered. The defense definitely needs work. The only defensemen IMO that are not being moved are Ristolainen, McCabe, Nelson and the prospects. Everything else is opened based on what is offered. It could be a wild and interesting offseason for Murray.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
______-Ristolainen
______-________
McCabe-Pysyk
Nelson

I'm good with moving Gorges, Bogosian, Franson, and maybe even Pysyk based on what is offered. The defense definitely needs work. The only defensemen IMO that are not being moved are Ristolainen, McCabe, Nelson and the prospects. Everything else is opened based on what is offered. It could be a wild and interesting offseason for Murray.

Only two I'd like to see not touched is Risto & Pysyk. Of course, you don't want to do that in one off-season.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
If I had to choose, Ennis or McGinn I will take McGinn. So if we throw in Ennis to a deal this offseason and sign McGinn i'de be all for it.

Fits well here.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'll take the guy I've seen able to create on his own over the guy who has to be gifted the right position, one that I have no interest in a player of his caliber holding if I want to be good, 10 times out of 10.

Just the hardest passes on giving McGinn a contract to take up an important spot on this team to get production out of it. Please God never.

"Fits well here". I mean...he played top offensive minutes, scored like a third liner and is a poor two way player. It's consistent everywhere he's been too. Playing with Duchene, RoR and top Ducks, getting top PP time...producing way under the value of his position. Hell...The other guy who had his job (top pp and playing top 6 wing all year) was a 20 year old rookie who many thought wouldn't make the league this year. And was better at it.

You can get his production a lot cheaper if you hand those minutes on the pp to someone else.

Just zero reason to pay McGinn anything. Resigning him would be a sign that we still can't get real players to sign here or that management is incompetent.

He isn't a good hockey player. He just happened to have played with some.

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Jake McCabe fared pretty well playing top line minutes in the Worlds. Maybe he's better than we give him credit for?

McCabe-Risto
Goligoski (my top target)-Bogosian
Gorges-Pysyk

I think McCabe could be a good compliment to Risto. They both can pinch, they both have the wheels to get back, they both have the physical element to their game. And they both have ice water running in their veins.

The second pair worries me a little, but they don't have to roll 20 min/gm. The 3rd pairing would be a pretty good one to split time with. My preference would be to trade Bogo for a young LHD who wouldn't be exposed to the expansion draft, but that's a pipe dream.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Jake McCabe fared pretty well playing top line minutes in the Worlds. Maybe he's better than we give him credit for?

McCabe-Risto
Goligoski (my top target)-Bogosian
Gorges-Pysyk

I think McCabe could be a good compliment to Risto. They both can pinch, they both have the wheels to get back, they both have the physical element to their game. And they both have ice water running in their veins.

The second pair worries me a little, but they don't have to roll 20 min/gm. The 3rd pairing would be a pretty good one to split time with. My preference would be to trade Bogo for a young LHD who wouldn't be exposed to the expansion draft, but that's a pipe dream.

McCabe's WC's were both the good and bad of his game. He had moments when he was excellent and then he had moments like most of the bronze medal game where he made some pretty bad choices without the puck that cost his team. Building off of it, sure, but certainly not enough to warrant being put into a harder position defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad