Roster Speculation Pt. IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Foote's certainly a guy to look at. And Cernak is the sort of high-spine knee breaker who plays smart, simple hockey in his own zone. I'd hope it was him. If they could inject Cernak and Borgen into next year's lineup with Dahlin, Montour, Pilut... I'd be a much happier camper.

I don't know if Tampa would partmwith Cernak, but he'd be a great add.

I proposed Ristolainen, Girgensons, and McCabe for Miller, Foote, Callahan, Katchouk, and Tampa's 1st.

I'd love a D of

Dahlin - Montour
Samuelsson - Foote
Pilut - Borgen

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't know if Tampa would partmwith Cernak, but he'd be a great add.

I proposed Ristolainen, Girgensons, and McCabe for Miller, Foote, Callahan, Katchouk, and Tampa's 1st.

I'd love a D of

Dahlin - Montour
Samuelsson - Foote
Pilut - Borgen

I'd rather not eat Callahan's deal, but taking on bad salary seems like a very Botterill thing to do. The idea of having a $12+ million 4th line hurts my eyes.

Cernak's ready. He's in the league and playing well. Waiting on Foote (or Samuelsson, who may be a three years out from the point Cernak is at already) is a very long game indeed.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'd rather not eat Callahan's deal, but taking on bad salary seems like a very Botterill thing to do. The idea of having a $12+ million 4th line hurts my eyes.

Cernak's ready. He's in the league and playing well. Waiting on Foote (or Samuelsson, who may be a three years out from the point Cernak is at already) is a very long game indeed.

I'm completely fine taking on Callahan for one year. And maybe someone learns some leadership from him.

I think Foote is ready for the NHL next season. Maybe not the big role, but I think he makes the Lightning next year. If he makes the lightning, he can make the Sabres.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I have to admit, the last two games without Risto have made me re-think my “we need to trade him” instinct. We may need to look at these guys with another coach before we make rash roster moves. ROR was an obvious mistake in hindsight, but everything was being viewed with a lens of the current coach, and it made the evaluations messy. I don’t want to do that again.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I have to admit, the last two games without Risto have made me re-think my “we need to trade him” instinct. We may need to look at these guys with another coach before we make rash roster moves. ROR was an obvious mistake in hindsight, but everything was being viewed with a lens of the current coach, and it made the evaluations messy. I don’t want to do that again.
Everyone hates on Risto, but playing the most minutes, on a bad team that can't score and has poor goaltending will make a lot of good players look a lot worse than they are.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Everyone hates on Risto, but playing the most minutes, on a bad team that can't score and has poor goaltending will make a lot of good players look a lot worse than they are.

I mean, he makes a TON of bad decisions and generally is pretty tunnel-visioned, but there is a lot in the tool box. Give me 40 games with another coach and see where we stand with him.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I mean, he makes a TON of bad decisions and generally is pretty tunnel-visioned, but there is a lot in the tool box. Give me 40 games with another coach and see where we stand with him.

I can give you 421 games with three different coaches. 2 of them Jack Adams winners.

He is what he is.

Reactions: lancaster14

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Nothing wrong with being wary about trading Risto, but once the team has fully quit the way they have, just doing with/without Risto comparisons isn't the best way to gauge his impact.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Risto and Girgensons for Brodie and Bennett. Who says no?

Just throwing ideas around. Not sold that Brodie is the type of defenseman we need, a guy like Hamonic would be more ideal but I doubt Calgary does that.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Hindsight lol. Some of us had the foresight to see the mistake way before it actually happened.

Reactions: GellMann and Baccus

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I’d like to say ROR was an obvious mistake without hindsight, but that topic is in a different thread.

I think in 2 years we’re going to look at Risto, and count the days when he’s gone as his toolbox deteriorates as the league gets faster and better skating with teams having better coaching.

I don’t think he is a player that is going to age well. I will predict but the end of next year or the year after we will want to see him on the 3rd pairing, and then complain about paying that much for a 3rd pairing guy.

Reactions: lancaster14

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The defense just needs to be structured correctly and used correctly.

Dahlin and Montour are your mobile duo. Don't need to start them exclusively in the o-zone because they can get there on their own.
Pilut and Ristolainen take all the o-zone starts, which helps Ristolainen. Also very mobile, and Ristolainen adds physicality.
Borgen and someone take the d-zone starts and do the heavy lifting. Borgen adds physicality.

Nelson is your 7D.

Really not that hard.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Mittelstadt had a good showing and Botts decided he was going to be our 2C.
Will Olofsson replace Skinner in the same way?
It’s insane enough for our management to do it.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Housley should be fired tonight.

Botts should go behind the bench for the final two games. Simplify the system and tell the players, "you have 2 games to show who wants to be here."

Yes the final two games are ultimately useless but to end the season with two more brutal losses at home and 10 in a row is an awful way to send everyone away for the offseason. Change the narrative and give the players a chance to show something positive to end the season with even if it ultimately won't change much. A young fragile group needs anything positive to grasp onto.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
How sick is Risto ? This seems strange he hasn’t played in awhile unless I missed the injury report on him

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I want to know why we drafted a natural center #2 overall in 2014 and never developed him as a center?
Ya it’s pretty crazy. I know with ROR you wanted Reinhart in the top 6, but it’s time for Reinhart to go into the offseason knowing he’s playing Center. Skinner and Nylander would be great linemates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad