Roster Speculation Pt. IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I want to know why we drafted a natural center #2 overall in 2014 and never developed him as a center?

Well, first two full seasons we had our top 6 centers locked in, so Murray and coaching staff developed at wing. No problem with that as he needed to learn to play in the league. 3rd full season, would be nice to see if he could’ve played at center. With the lack of quality of wingers, by design, it was more advantageous to play him in the top 6 next to ROR. With ROR being traded away, it would’ve been nice to see where Reinhart was for a potential center option...This was the first year to try Sam at center. Nothing to lose and Sam had plenty of time in the league.

I’ve been okay with how they handled Sam up until this year. Unfortunately, it looks like Sam lost his chemistry with Eichel.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
How much will Kevin Hayes get in FA? He might be the guy I go all in on. He seems like the perfect player for our teams #2 C. It slots everyone down into their correct role. 6'5'' 216 lbs. Skates well. 54 pts in 68 games this year. I'd give him 7 for 7.5 per.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
How much will Kevin Hayes get in FA? He might be the guy I go all in on. He seems like the perfect player for our teams #2 C. It slots everyone down into their correct role. 6'5'' 216 lbs. Skates well. 54 pts in 68 games this year. I'd give him 7 for 7.5 per.

Next years cap is set at $83M. $7.5M would be 9% of the cap. It's interesting that you'd pay $7.5M for Hayes since that's what Ryan O'Reilly is paid. When ROR signed his cap hit % was 10.5%.

I think Hayes would be perfect for this team for a few reasons. He can slide into the #2C spot. Mitts can ease into the lineup as a winger with spot duty as a center. Eichel is good friends with Hayes as they workout together in the off season.

There's no doubt Hayes would be a good addition as it would only cost $. It may be another player we have to protect in the expansion draft, but we will lose one good player anyways.

We still need to be judicious with our cap expenditures, but that's why it's important to have a good developmental system with young players on ELCs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hard pass.

I'd be more interested in an older 2C candidate that you could sign to a 1 or 2 year deal.

I’m torn. Honestly, it will probably take more than that but the temptation is to bring him in. It will likely cost them later.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Funny moment this morning in my car: my phone automatically starts playing the last thing that I was playing in the car when I turned off the ignition. I have been, plug in my phone, and the first thing they start talking about his McDavid and his frustration. I’m thinking wow, the instigators have dug into something from the Oiler perspective and they’re really letting the whole interview play this will be interesting.

And then I realize I was listening to TSN radio yesterday rather than the local coverage. :biglaugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think it's dumb to throw big money at centers when Reinhart is still here.

Hayes can slide into your top six left wing if he is displaced from within or without. I would assume that big head is going to continue to force feed Casey minutes/games and find some other Vlad-like dreck as the other option.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I don't see UFAs signing here this upcoming season unless there is someone like Quenneville in place.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Not expecting any sort of big signings of any kind, especially with the 2C. At best we'll sign a placeholder for maybe 1 or 2 years and that player won't be a difference maker, think a slightly better version of Sobotka, assuming Botts learned from Mittelstadt not doing well in that spot. Or he double downs and continues to play Mittelstadt at the 2C spot once again, because "he saw progress".

I'm actually expecting him to move Reinhart and Ristolainen and receive draft picks and few veterans for the "leadership void" that will probably happen. Bott's is playing the long game, where he's probably looking at year 4 or 5 of his time here before going forward with his "new core". By that time, Rochester guys will be ready for full time duty. His first 2 offseasons are similar to what he's doing this offseason.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Not expecting any sort of big signings of any kind, especially with the 2C. At best we'll sign a placeholder for maybe 1 or 2 years and that player won't be a difference maker, think a slightly better version of Sobotka, assuming Botts learned from Mittelstadt not doing well in that spot. Or he double downs and continues to play Mittelstadt at the 2C spot once again, because "he saw progress".

I'm actually expecting him to move Reinhart and Ristolainen and receive draft picks and few veterans for the "leadership void" that will probably happen. Bott's is playing the long game, where he's probably looking at year 4 or 5 of his time here before going forward with his "new core". By that time, Rochester guys will be ready for full time duty. His first 2 offseasons are similar to what he's doing this offseason.

Neither Reinhart nor Ristolainen showed a reason they need to be a part of this team's core. Montour is better than Ristoalainen, which lessens the gap we'd have trading him. Trading Reinhart doesn't make a gap-- a sure sign he's expendable. He can have all the hockey IQ in the world, but he plays like a beaten dog

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I can see Tampa still coming back at the season's end for Ristolainen. They need a RD now, since their window is now, but their D core is all aging/gone next year.

Ristolainen+Larsson/Girgensons for Cal Foote+Callahan

Sexton has highly scouted Foote and was before the deadline. I believe he is Botterill's target in the deal. Callahan will take a step back after winning a cup to come home.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Reinhart is much harder. But I believe there are a lot of teams who see him as a breakout candidate and will offer to pay dearly for him. My best guess is the Flyers will make the next step, being impatient on some of their prospects to make the jump.

Reinhart for Konecny+Farabee

Buffalo will trade Reinhart for pieces, but these aren't pieces to scoff at. Flyers cement their top-6 and can focus on brow beaters for their bottom-6, as per the city's mantra. They can't wait for Farabee to come to light if they want their expensive core to be used in their prime.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I can see Tampa still coming back at the season's end for Ristolainen. They need a RD now, since their window is now, but their D core is all aging/gone next year.

Ristolainen+Larsson/Girgensons for Cal Foote+Callahan

Sexton has highly scouted Foote and was before the deadline. I believe he is Botterill's target in the deal. Callahan will take a step back after winning a cup to come home.

I would hope that Callahan doesn't have Buffalo on his trade list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad