Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I need a salary cap remedial lesson...

If TM traded for Fowler and Stoner, and then immediately sent Stoner to Rochester, doesn't Stoner only cost salary and no cap? So if Pegula was ok with essentially buying Fowler for 7.25 mil (Fowler and Stoner's salary combined), TM could make that happen cap wise for 4 mil, with Girgensons going the other way? Maybe, but I suppose not.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

If TM traded for Fowler and Stoner, and then immediately sent Stoner to Rochester, doesn't Stoner only cost salary and no cap? So if Pegula was ok with essentially buying Fowler for 7.25 mil (Fowler and Stoner's salary combined), TM could make that happen cap wise for 4 mil, with Girgensons going the other way? Maybe, but I suppose not.

No, players on a 1 way contract get very little in cap relief by sending them to the minors. Not sure of the exact %, but its small enough that it doesn't reward teams doing this. This prevents richer teams from essentially stashing a few million in bad contracts in the AHL.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

If Stoner was sent down to Rochester al his salary except the AHL max is counted. Prior years it was around $950K but is supposed to go up to $1M based on the CBA--unsure the numbers and when they take effect).

Buffalo doesn't have the cap space to take on Fowler and Stoner.

The only way to do it would be:

Fowler+Stoner ($7.25M) for Ennis+Girgensons ($5.75M)--not gain of $1.5M cap hit.

Buffalo would have $8M cap space when COR is sent down +McCormicks LTIR of $1.5M to potentially use.

If Risto is signed for $6M that leaves them with $2M in cap space on 14F(including McCormick /7D/2G.

making the deal above would mean:

1. Nelson sent to Rochester --Buffalo carry 8 Dmen/13F
2. Buffalo would have 12F with McCormick. McCormick is put on LTIR which should allow them to call up 2 ELC/low cost forwards. This will put them at the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad