Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
When did a top 10 overall pick become such chump change in trade proposal conversation? :biglaugh:

Especially considering the teams that are being discussed. Anaheim is an internal cap strapped team and Minny is a cap team. Young ELC talent is huge today to all teams but especially those 2.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Static, Fowler was outside of the top 100 in shot attempt generation, and adjusted further downwards relative to his team.

Just because he skates well and appears to have puck skills doesn't mean he actually delivers the impact his skillset implies.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Static, Fowler was outside of the top 100 in shot attempt generation, and adjusted further downwards relative to his team.

Just because he skates well and appears to have puck skills doesn't mean he actually delivers the impact his skillset implies.
I asked this question before, his advanced stats are not good.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

All the talk of Fowler makes me question how he is a good fit as Risto's partner. And if he's not then whats the point? Unless we swing for the fences as a previous poster alluded to and got 2 dmen ala Fowler and Brodin and could pair a:

Brodin-Risto
Fowler-Bogo
McCabe-Pysyk

unit then I dont really see how Risto and Fowler will complement eachother enough to warrant trading away the assets required.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Fowler is basically Myers to me.

What would you pay for Myers?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Could Murray manage to bring both Brodin and Fowler in or is that totally out of the question?

I think it's certainly possible. It depends on Murray's appetite. Until I see otherwise, I'm skeptical that he sees LHD as that incredibly pressing of a need. I think if he was inclined to think that way, he'd probably have brought in something last summer. Further development of McCabe and Guhle might only make it less urgent.

But if he DID want to go that way, I think I'd be happy with any two deals for a 1LHD and a 2LHD (Fowler and Brodin would probably fit the bill) that cumulatively paid out:

Our 8th OV this year
Our 2017 1st
Any one roster forward not named ROR, Sam, or Jack
Any one good prospect in the organization
Any filler prospects or picks (i.e., thirds and Cornels etc.) that needed to be added.

If you could take a handful of pieces like that and essentially take our left defense from AHL level to playoff level while only losing a single, non-core forward from the roster, I think I'd have to be happy overall. You'd be looking at last year's roster, replace Kane/Girgensons with Fasching/Bailey, completely fix our defense, and give everybody a year of development, we could talk about our five year window opening immediately.

Anyways. That would be my ideal summer. Actually, my ideal summer would be Lindholm + Brodin without losing a roster player at all, but that would require some real guts.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think it's certainly possible. It depends on Murray's appetite. Until I see otherwise, I'm skeptical that he sees LHD as that incredibly pressing of a need. I think if he was inclined to think that way, he'd probably have brought in something last summer. Further development of McCabe and Guhle might only make it less urgent.

But if he DID want to go that way, I think I'd be happy with any two deals for a 1LHD and a 2LHD (Fowler and Brodin would probably fit the bill) that cumulatively paid out:

Our 8th OV this year
Our 2017 1st
Any filler prospects or picks (i.e., thirds and Cornels etc.) that needed to be added.

If you could take a handful of pieces like that and essentially take our left defense from AHL level to playoff level while only losing a single, non-core forward from the roster, I think I'd have to be happy overall. You'd be looking at last year's roster, replace Kane/Girgensons with Fasching/Bailey, completely fix our defense, and give everybody a year of development, we could talk about our five year window opening immediately.

Anyways. That would be my ideal summer. Actually, my ideal summer would be Lindholm + Brodin without losing a roster player at all, but that would require some real guts.

This is exactly the way I'm feeling at the moment.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Take it one step further:

8th OV + Fasching for Brodin
Kane + 2017 1st for Fowler

Defense is fixed with less than $3M added to the cap.

NOW sign Stamkos.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Our 8th OV this year
Our 2017 1st

I think Murray loves Jake McCabe.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Take it one step further:

8th OV + Fasching for Brodin
Kane + 2017 1st for Fowler

Defense is fixed with less than $3M added to the cap.

NOW sign Stamkos.

Then in 2 years you have to sign Brodin, Fowler, Eichel,Reinhart at the very least.

Who are you protecting in expansion draft?

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
If what we have been saying about the expansion draft is true, it would be dumb to spend assets on players we'd have to expose. One this year, we'd have to expose a Bogo, McCabe Pysyk, two adds this summer, all three exposed.

I agree, keep the pick this year, go after cap casualty or use secondary pieces.

I'd rather do another "growing" year and wait until after expansion draft to really go for it

Could we not do the 8 and 1 option? save ROR, Kane, Larsson, girg, bogo, risto, brodin, fowler and lehner? With Eichel and Reinhart not needing protection?

This also ignores we would almost certainly be sending back one or both of McCabe and Pysyk in deals for Fowler and Brodin.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Then in 2 years you have to sign Brodin, Fowler, Eichel,Reinhart at the very least.

Who are you protecting in expansion draft?

8 Skaters, 1 Goalie: Risto, Brodin, Fowler, Bogo, ROR, Larsson, Girgs, Foligno, Lehner
Jack and Sam don't need to be protected.

What am I missing?

Am I supposed to sweat losing one of McCabe, Pysyk, Ennis ?

Besides... we are just going to give someone a nice pick/prospect package to take Matt Moulson off our hands, or Cody Franson

the expansion draft is super Chicken Little

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If what we have been saying about the expansion draft is true, it would be dumb to spend assets on players we'd have to expose. One this year, we'd have to expose a Bogo, McCabe Pysyk, two adds this summer, all three exposed.

I agree, keep the pick this year, go after cap casualty or use secondary pieces.

I'd rather do another "growing" year and wait until after expansion draft to really go for it

You'd rather not make a push to become a playoff team... for fear of losing one of McCabe or Pysyk? So weird...

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
8 Skaters, 1 Goalie: Risto, Brodin, Fowler, Bogo, ROR, Larsson, Girgs, Foligno, Lehner

What am I missing?

Besides... we are just going to give someone a nice pick/prospect package to take Matt Moulson off our hands, or Cody Franson

Not sweating...was just curious.

My real issue is signing Stamkos ahnd having to re-sign those 4 at same time

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011

What am I missing?

but what about the next expansion draft. :sarcasm:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Not sweating...was just curious.

My real issue is signing Stamkos ahnd having to re-sign those 4 at same time

yea, i have no interest in signing stamkos, but the expansion draft isnt even part of the equation for me.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

You're really trying too hard.

Fowler played 70% of his 5 on 5 shifts with a shell of himself Bieksa (55%) and a battered Despres (15%) who was in and out of the lineup due to a nasty concussion and other injuries limiting him to 32 games. He never really played with either of Lindholm (3%) or Vatanen (5%). I think you know this but I get the impression some on here think he played with them based on their comments about his strong teammates.

Fowler has his warts to be sure. But if he was brought here to play with Risto it would be a very different situation than the one in Anaheim, at least as it pertains to quality of partner. How would that impact Fowler's overall game? Don't know for certain but I would imagine it would improve quite a bit.

Last edited:

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

I understand, and, it's a crap shoot. Browsing could be the better fit. Skating was one attribute I looked at. I just don't see Grow in as a fluid fit with Risto. But, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad