Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I thought Fowler looked like ass in this series. With that said, his partner Despres did too, and i still think he's a solid upgrade over Gorges. The question is - is that enough when considering the assets we would need to give up?

No, the question is why are you only taking one series into account when comparing him to someone like Gorges?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I thought Fowler looked like ass in this series. With that said, his partner Despres did too, and i still think he's a solid upgrade over Gorges. The question is - is that enough when considering the assets we would need to give up?

He had a tough time for stretches to be sure. But in fairness he was saddled with carrying the defense outside the pairing of Lindholm/Vatanen.

If he came here and played with Risto he would be the lesser part of the pairing. Something he hasn't had in some time. Certainly not this past season when he dragged Bieksa around the ice for most of it.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
He had a tough time for stretches to be sure. But in fairness he was saddled with carrying the defense outside the pairing of Lindholm/Vatanen.

If he came here and played with Risto he would be the lesser part of the pairing. Something he hasn't had in some time. Certainly not this past season when he dragged Bieksa around the ice for most of it.

These are fair points that I tried to hit on a bit when i mentioned Despres. I have no doubt he would improve our team. I'm just not sure we'll get the ideal return on assets vs. going after someone like Enstrom or Scandella.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
These are fair points that I tried to hit on a bit when i mentioned Despres. I have no doubt he would improve our team. I'm just not sure we'll get the ideal return on assets vs. going after someone like Enstrom or Scandella.

Fair enough

He would certainly cost more due to age and skill level

MyersMagic57*

See...not sure that gets it done. Turn the 2nd into a 2017 first. Or perhaps McCabe and it may.

Wish this was like EA NHL, where you can just add 5 5th round picks from 2016-2022 and the trade gets done

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Brodin is 22. But by all means let's cap has ceiling, seems to be all the rage with young players around these parts.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Ideally Id be fine getting Brodin or Fowler or one of the Philadelphia Dmen

I do not want to give up our 2016 1st outright in the deal (Id be fine in a trade down). Id rather keep McCabe.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Could Murray manage to bring both Brodin and Fowler in or is that totally out of the question?

I was thinking this exact same thing.

It would cost a lot of assets for sure & we'd still lack an out-and-out dominant player.. but those two plus Bogo & Ristolainen would make for a very solid top4 with some intriguing pairings

Have to imagine it would cost at least one first rounder plus a few other things we'd not like giving up..

MyersMagic57*

I was thinking this exact same thing.

It would cost a lot of assets for sure & we'd still lack an out-and-out dominant player.. but those two plus Bogo & Ristolainen would make for a very solid top4 with some intriguing pairings

Have to imagine it would cost at least one first rounder plus a few other things we'd not like giving up..

We should be patient then. If there isn't anything major this off-season without giving up a lot, let it go. We can probably draft a solid D at No. 8. No need to hit a home-run this off-season. We will have our chances in the future.

I would NOT give up a high first-round pick EVER while still in a rebuild. I would consider giving up late 1st at the deadline for players to help a playoff run, but giving up a first round pick would be a terrible decision, especially when we could potentially draft a defensemen who could be better than those in question down the line.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
We should be patient then. If there isn't anything major this off-season without giving up a lot, let it go. We can probably draft a solid D at No. 8. No need to hit a home-run this off-season. We will have our chances in the future.

I would NOT give up a high first-round pick EVER while still in a rebuild. I would consider giving up late 1st at the deadline for players to help a playoff run, but giving up a first round pick would be a terrible decision, especially when we could potentially draft a defensemen who could be better than those in question down the line.

The thing is - Fowler & Brodin are know commodities & it's not like we don't have the forward depth or the assets to make it possible.

If TM could get it done while still keeping the 'core' pieces in place.... its intriguing.

Edit - I also don't think we're in a 'rebuild' anymore. You add these two players of this calibre & there's no more building to be done.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
If what we have been saying about the expansion draft is true, it would be dumb to spend assets on players we'd have to expose. One this year, we'd have to expose a Bogo, McCabe Pysyk, two adds this summer, all three exposed.

I agree, keep the pick this year, go after cap casualty or use secondary pieces.

I'd rather do another "growing" year and wait until after expansion draft to really go for it

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Girgensons-Baptiste-2nd for Fowler
I'd prefer it not be Bailey or Baptiste. I'm looking at Baptiste to vastly improve this season in the A as new blood is brought on. That roster will look much different and Baptiste will be pivotal.
See...not sure that gets it done. Turn the 2nd into a 2017 first. Or perhaps McCabe and it may.
Not that I mind giving the 17 1st, but I think given the Ducks RFA situation, I believe we have other assets to get it done, but as I said, I'm not opposed to the idea.
I'll take Fowler over Brodin every day of the week.
Honestly, so would I. Nothing against Brodin personally, but I believe Fowler is a much better fit.
In a vacuum, sure. But, it would be interesting to know what the trade cost of each player is.
The 64 thousand dollar question.

Statistically, Fowler broke down and died with Brodin's workload this season.
As others point out, Fowler's role comes with greater pressure.
Brodin is 22. But by all means let's cap has ceiling, seems to be all the rage with young players around these parts.
I don't believe we are capping his ceiling, just taking a stab at fit in the Sabres line up.
Ideally Id be fine getting Brodin or Fowler or one of the Philadelphia Dmen

I do not want to give up our 2016 1st outright in the deal (Id be fine in a trade down). Id rather keep McCabe.
Keeping McCabe is a foregone conclusion. Many will say he had a meh rookie season, I'm not one of them. Very impressed with his growth, he'll be sticking around.
I wouldn't give up 8th OA (if that's our # after Saturday).

Could Murray manage to bring both Brodin and Fowler in or is that totally out of the question?
Not necessary and beyond not likely.

No, he was still good at shot/goal prevention, he just didn't generate anything.
Isn't that what were looking for, a two way generator for Risto's partner?
Sounds like a really good attribute to have for a defenseman.

Agreed, it's exactly what Buffalo needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad