Roster Speculation - Nogo for Bogo

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Harrington says Guhle couldn't be called up even if they wanted to without his ELC kicking in. What's the rule?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
How did Falk and Fedun jump in front of Nelson on the depth chart? Do we have another Ruhwedel on our hands?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Harrington says Guhle couldn't be called up even if they wanted to without his ELC kicking in. What's the rule?

His ELC will slide unless he plays 10 or more NHL games. This idea that ELCs "kick in" creates a false perception of how they work, imo. The slide rule does not delay when an ELC starts, an ELC starts as soon as it is signed (or as soon as the following July 1, in some cases), the slide rule actually extends already active NHL SPCs.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
How did Falk and Fedun jump in front of Nelson on the depth chart? Do we have another Ruhwedel on our hands?

He's a rookie in pro hockey and he was overmatched and lost his confidence, he needs time in the AHL.

Casey Nelson D RCH 8 2 2 4 -6

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
His ELC will slide unless he plays 10 or more NHL games. This idea that ELCs "kick in" creates a false perception of how they work, imo. The slide rule does not delay when an ELC starts, an ELC starts as soon as it is signed (or as soon as the following July 1, in some cases), the slide rule actually extends already active NHL SPCs.

So if we wanted to in an emergency call him up and played him in less than 10 games there's no burning a year of his ELC.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
This was my biggest issue with Murray's offseason: not addressing D-men depth. And he still could have made a waiver claim on McIlrath but passed, even when it was obvious we needed to send Nelson down. And now it's biting us in the ass.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
This was my biggest issue with Murray's offseason: not addressing D-men depth. And he still could have made a waiver claim on McIlrath but passed, even when it was obvious we needed to send Nelson down. And now it's biting us in the ass.

What????

He added Falk and Fedun... both veterans, who are playing quite well after coming up from Rochester as depth defensemen.

How can you complain about not adding D depth, and propose a busted draft pick/waiver wire player as a solution.

Murray did a very good job adding depth. The issue was he wasn't able to upgrade the top 4.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

While true, Fedun and Falk have both been pretty good, which nobody expected. I don't know if you can really plan for being down 3 top 4 defensemen.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
So if we wanted to in an emergency call him up and played him in less than 10 games there's no burning a year of his ELC.

Well, if it's actually possible to use an emergency recall on Guhle at this point in time, which none of us actually know, then yeah sure.

It's still not likely that he gets recalled though. I don't really think it's in Buffalo's interest, in Guhle's interest or in his junior team's interest for him to be pulled away from his new junior team he's still getting acclimated to and toss him into the NHL as a 19 year old without any practices and also with having to travel across a continent, especially when there are other recall options about an hour down the thruway

kp2575

Ray's Pocket Square
Feb 11, 2015
PDX
From pension plan puppets: The NHL permits each team to carry up to 23 players on its active roster, subject to the constraints of the salary cap. However, it also requires a minimum of 2 goaltenders, 6 defenceman and 12 forwards on its active roster at all times. A player is not considered on the active roster if they have been placed on the Injured Reserve List or are suspended by the NHL.

If the team falls below any of these minimum categories, they are permitted to recall a player without subjection to waivers in order to meet the NHL minimum roster requirements. However, the player must be returned to the affiliate when the player he is replacing returns from their inactive status.

The agreement between the NHL and CHL that states if a team is on its third emergency situation, the club can recall a player from major junior.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Pickings are getting thin. They really need the Gorges injury to be minor enough that Kulikov can get healthy, thus allowing Gorges to skip some games to fully heal whatever. Nelson was already a mess on his off-side and recently scratched in Rochester, so he's possibly banged up too. Burgdoerfer's another righty also, but probably could play a few games up in pinch like the other AHL vets have. Austin's more of a depth AHL defender IMO and Martin's only just up now to Rochester from Elmira, so yeah, I can certainly see an emergency recall of Guhle here with any considerable absence from Gorges. Murray did mention that as an option in one of his earlier WGR interviews this year. Guhle's not expensive and idk what else they could do market-wise on the cheap as a stop-gap, as internally they'd be onto the 10D with another recall here. Gelinas was the last LHD, an offensive one at that, that cleared waivers IIRC, but he's at a McCabbe AAV as opposed to Guhle's ELC.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
While true, Fedun and Falk have both been pretty good, which nobody expected. I don't know if you can really plan for being down 3 top 4 defensemen.

Yeah, ish. The trouble starts when Gorges is a top 4 defenseman.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
What????

He added Falk and Fedun... both veterans, who are playing quite well after coming up from Rochester as depth defensemen.

How can you complain about not adding D depth, and propose a busted draft pick/waiver wire player as a solution.

Murray did a very good job adding depth. The issue was he wasn't able to upgrade the top 4.

I think the addition of Kulikov is an upgrade (though, admittedly, not a big enough one). Bigger problem is that we haven't had a healthy top 4.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
He traded a bottom pairing defenseman for a top-4 D. He signed two bottom pairing defenseman for nothing who have already shown to be more reliable than any bottom pair than we've had in years (Weber, Cola, Franson, *shiver*) as well as signed another top college UFA to see if he can hack it.

Best you can blame him for is trading away McNabb, and I'm pretty sure we'd be ragging on McNabb pretty hard if he was playing for us.

Hard to blame a GM for not preparing for 3 of his top-4 to go out and one of his bottom 2 to go as well.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
He traded a bottom pairing defenseman for a top-4 D. He signed two bottom pairing defenseman for nothing who have already shown to be more reliable than any bottom pair than we've had in years (Weber, Cola, Franson, *shiver*) as well as signed another top college UFA to see if he can hack it.

Best you can blame him for is trading away McNabb, and I'm pretty sure we'd be ragging on McNabb pretty hard if he was playing for us.

Hard to blame a GM for not preparing for 3 of his top-4 to go out and one of his bottom 2 to go as well.

What is Weber doing these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad