Roster Speculation - Nogo for Bogo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

I almost like it

I LOVE IT

Let's be honest, Grant has been told to play defense first ever since pre-season and that's when we started to dislike things he did- because he wasn't generating offense. Unlike most players on this team, he actually wins battles on the boards and ends up with the puck.

Carrier wasn't showing top-6 as his comfort zone and Kane is right where he belongs without disrupting FLG. Perfect!

It's the opportunity many have been clamoring for Girgs to get as well. I think he has only a period to show he belongs there before a shake-up though.

I hope we see Saturday's game with this gig.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Im feeling like this is a practice message being sent to Kane. A solid byslma idea. Good to see girgs get a chance, he earned it.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Nelson would get another shot before they stoop down to Guhle or even pretend Brady can play NHL, right?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
This is why there was a cry, not just for a top dman trade, but also for more defensive depth period.

Who's left in Rochester? Austin, Nelson, Martin, burgdoefer?

SabresSociety

Jan 3, 2014
In the 8 skaters scenario, assuming Bogo and 1 of Kane/Girgensons are traded they protect:

ROR
Okposo
Larsson
Foligno
Girgensons/Kane
Ristolainen
McCabe
Kulikov

In both of these scenarios the players who fulfill the under contract and games played requirement are Gorges on D and Moulson/Deslauriers on Forward.

The 1st scenario is more likely than the 2nd.

Why would we only protect 8 players if we protect three D, 7, 3, 1 makes way more sense in this case, protects Carrier plus find another guy to protect

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I think Nelson is injured. Strachan is probably the next callup on D. My god, we literally have more AHL players than NHL players on D if Gorges is out.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I think Kane will actually get better playing with Eichel and Reinhart. He looked bad with Eichel last year to start the season but ended looking great. I would rather hope that he can get that chemistry back. Girgensons also should get more looks with Eichel.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Why would we only protect 8 players if we protect three D, 7, 3, 1 makes way more sense in this case, protects Carrier plus find another guy to protect

Because D men are more valuable and harder to add, than wingers. Simple

Would you rather lose Bogosian.... or 1 of Moulson, Ennis, Foligno, Girgensons, Larsson, Kane, Carrier (remember you can protect 2 of them along with ROR/KO).

It's simply... You should be more comfortable with losing a bottom 6 winger, given the franchises winger depth in both the NHL and AHL, and the historical ability to acquire NHL wingers through simple trades, UFA, and rentals.... then you should be with losing a top 4 defensemen.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
With the way we are playing now and the obvious effect Eichel has on the rest of the lineup I am oddly excited to see what Ennis can do when he returns from injury. He has to know this is likely his last chance to stick here, so if he can score at his typical 50 point pace while not actually scoring 50 points due to games lost to injury that would really help our offense out even more. Or he can continue to play terrible and essentially he a $4.6 million dollar anchor who is shipped out this summer.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I honestly don't know whether to expect the team to be better or worse with Gorges out. There's two goals last night I'd put on him.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
So any of those posters from the summer who said d depth was fine want to step up and defend that position still, or do we slink away and pretend like it never happened.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
seriously? i thought Nilsson was bad last night.

I didn't like the third goal.

First goal, I've slowed that play down and at the moment of release, there's just no way he can see the shot. Gorges basically lets the guy stand there and it might even tip a mere foot in front of him, can't be totally certain.

Second goal doesn't rebound more than a foot off his body and he's probably got it covered if Rick Nash isn't completely untouched to just swat at it. Can't blame him there.

Nilsson is still better in individual stats, team record, and the eye test. The guy actually moves well low in his stance, is able to react once he's dropped into his butterfly. Robin Lehner needs way too much time to move and react once he's down. He commits, and he's gonna stay there for a while. I've said this for a while.

I also just get a sick feeling watching the guy for other reasons that we aren't allowed to discuss here. I'm fine if you question my objectivity on that count. There are things in life more important than hockey.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yep. Those 4 have NHL deals.

With the generous assumption of full health, that's 12 dmen, including 2 rookies.

Best case:

29-55 77-47 04-06 38

41-34 57-46 54-xx

Last I looked, we had 5 contract spots open.

So wtf Murray. I know you have to a salary cap to watch, but this simply isn't enough dmen in the organization.

I wanted a dman basically every pick in the 2nd round of 2014, and we came away with 1 dman in the entire draft. 2015 and 2016 had 4 each, but they're all years away, including guhle.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Burgdoerfer should be the next to earn a recall. Let Nelson continue to develop.

Agreed. Burgdoerfer and Nelson are the only viable call-up options right now, and I'd prefer Burgdoerfer. Besides, Nelson didn't play on Wednesday so who knows if he's even healthy.

That said, they could sign Strachan to an NHL SPC and he'd be an option too.

Would be cool to get a look at Guhle as an emergency recall.

I don't think that's likely, as there are still options available in Rochester and that'd be way easier than getting Guhle in from western Canada. That said, I'm also not entirely sure it's even an option since the terms of such recalls are part of the NHL/CHL agreement and not publically available, although this NHL.com article says that its an option if a team is on its "third emergency situation": https://www.nhl.com/news/flames-recall-junior-baertschi-on-emergency-basis/c-7222

That said, we don't have the exact wording available and I would assume it means third emergency situation at a given position. Since the Sabres had Nelson up earlier in the year, and were carrying seven defensemen as of the Bogosian injury, I don't think Gorges being out would place them into emergency conditions for a third time, though, but it's a situation I'm not entirely clear on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad