Roster Speculation, 2018 offseason Part 2/ On the cusp of free agency edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I’m trying to guess our center group. So far I’ve come up with nothing I feel certain about beyond Jack centering the top offensive line.

Jack centering the top offensive line
XXX centering the top defensive line
YYY centering the secondary scoring line
ZZZ 4th line center (most likely defensively focused)

XXX - Berglund, Sobotka, Larsson or even Sam.

YYY - Mitts, Sam or my longshot wildcard Asplund.

ZZZ - Larsson, Sobotka,Girgs or my buddy Asplund again. Malone could be a long shot here as well. But I’m thinking he gets another year with Amerks to work on the offensive side of his game.

Any of you feel more certain on how this sorts out?

If I had to guess, it'll be Jack, one of Mitts/Sam (the other on wing with Jack), Berglund, and Larsson centering the 4th line. The latter two will carry the tougher defensive matchups. If we had a game tomorrow, I think Housley would start:

Sheary-Eichel-Reinhart
ERod-Mitts-Okposo
Girgs-Berglund-Pominville
Sobotka-Larsson-Bailey/Baptiste/Wilson
x Two of Baptiste/Bailey/Wilson

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I’m trying to guess our center group. So far I’ve come up with nothing I feel certain about beyond Jack centering the top offensive line.

Jack centering the top offensive line
XXX centering the top defensive line
YYY centering the secondary scoring line
ZZZ 4th line center (most likely defensively focused)

XXX - Berglund, Sobotka, Larsson or even Sam.

YYY - Mitts, Sam or my longshot wildcard Asplund.

ZZZ - Larsson, Sobotka,Girgs or my buddy Asplund again. Malone could be a long shot here as well. But I’m thinking he gets another year with Amerks to work on the offensive side of his game.

Any of you feel more certain on how this sorts out?

I have a feeling Casey gets a loooong look at center. It’s pretty obvious that management views Mittelstadt as a superior *center* prospect than Sam, likely due to skating.

Sam should get a good look at center in preseason. The talk is, and has been for years, that Buffalo doesn’t have the wing depth and talent to spread out three centers. This is why Buffalo has rollled out 2/2 lines that is easily defendable.

Anyway back on topic, a part of me still hopes that sam gets a fair shake look at center in the pre season. Buffalo definitely has enough bodies at wing that he should get time there.

With that said, I still envision something along the lines of Eichel/Berglund-Sobotka/Mittelstadt/Larsson-Girgensons as our centers for at least the first dozen games or so.

I’ll still scream that Reinhart needs to get a real look at playing C this season. If management is worried about stability there then place a mixture of Berglund, Sobotka, Okposo, or Sheary on Mittelstadt and Reinhart’s wings and let them go.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
If I had to guess, it'll be Jack, one of Mitts/Sam (the other on wing with Jack), Berglund, and Larsson centering the 4th line. The latter two will carry the tougher defensive matchups. If we had a game tomorrow, I think Housley would start:

Sheary-Eichel-Reinhart
ERod-Mitts-Okposo
Girgs-Berglund-Pominville
Sobotka-Larsson-Bailey/Baptiste/Wilson
x Two of Baptiste/Bailey/Wilson
My only change to this would be one of Girgs/Wilson to 3RW and Pominville to the fourth line. I’d like our core defensive unit to avoid the multiple plodders.

A consolidation trade for a checking RW is now an underrated need.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It's silly.

I spent months arguing OReilly's worth, only for Botts to undersell the hell out of that.

But I've made it to the point where I'm ready to discuss how to make this group better. You guys are stuck in the endless cycle of complaints, where Botts is doomed and can never be redeemed. If we lose this year, 'I told you so'. If we win, 'Imagine how much better we were with OReilly.'

I like reading these forums for several different reasons, and takes, but post-OReilly trade, there's literally been zero discussion that isn't whining about this trade. It's over.
That how terrible and impactful the trade was.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I don't know if I'm quoting the above post from this thread or another thread.

@dotcommunism does this mean the second buyout window in ~mid-August will not open for Buffalo????
No arbitration means no second buy-out window, correct. The team could've elected to take O'Regan to arbitration, but that window closed at 5 pm today.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Not sure where to put this. But looking back when Bylsma was here, there was reported tensions between the “younger players” and the vets. At the time it seemed like the “young core” was Eichel/Reinhart/Ristolainen/Kane/O’Reilly and that the older guys were Gionta/Gorges/Moulson. I wonder now with Lehner/Kane/O’Reilly gone if the tension all along may have been O’Reilly/Kane/Lehner vs. Eichel/Reinhart/Ristolainen? Just speculation on my part but it just kinda popped in my head.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Not sure where to put this. But looking back when Bylsma was here, there was reported tensions between the “younger players” and the vets. At the time it seemed like the “young core” was Eichel/Reinhart/Ristolainen/Kane/O’Reilly and that the older guys were Gionta/Gorges/Moulson. I wonder now with Lehner/Kane/O’Reilly gone if the tension all along may have been O’Reilly/Kane/Lehner vs. Eichel/Reinhart/Ristolainen? Just speculation on my part but it just kinda popped in my head.

Seeing how Kane and Eichel appear to be great friends I’d day no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad