Roster Speculation, 2018 offseason Part 2/ On the cusp of free agency edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Probably. I'm wondering how open the training camp roster will be. I suppose we're about to find out this week with UFA's and possible trades.

I'm wondering that myself

Barring trades......

-We'll have 10 forwards I expect on the NHL roster: Jack, ROR, Sam, Mitts, Okposo, Sheary, Erod, Pommer, Larsson and Girgs.

Guys battling for spots at forward: CJ Smith, Bailey, Baptiste, Olofsson, Oglvie, Asplund, Nylander

-We'll also have 8 dmen: Dahlin, Risto, Scandella, Bogo, McCabe, Beaulieu, Nelson and Hunwick

Guys battling for spots on defense: Guhle, Pilut, Borgen and maybe Hickey if he signs.

Looks like a decent amount of opportunity up front but not much on the backend.

Last edited:

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I'm wondering that myself

Barring trades......

-We'll have 10 forwards I expect on the NHL roster: Jack, ROR, Sam, Mitts, Okposo, Sheary, Erod, Pommer, Larsson and Girgs.

Guys battling for spots at forward: CJ Smith, Bailey, Baptiste, Olofsson, Oglvie, Asplund, Nylander

-We'll also have 8 dmen: Dahlin, Risto, Scandella, Bogo, McCabe, Beaulieu, Nelson and Hunwick

Guys battling for spots on defense: Guhle, Pilut, Borgen and maybe Hickey if he signs.

Looks like a decent amount of opportunity up front but not much on the backend.

Gosh, I love the small moves has made like bringing in Shesry, Hunwick, Pilut, and Oglvie. Probability says not many of these guys will work out, and Hunwick was brought in for depth. Looking at these moves, though, creates competition everywhere which has been lacking for many years with this team.

Prospects like Pilut, Guhle, Olofsson, Borgen, and Asplund will be able to spend the time needed in Rochester without being forced up due to lack of bodies. That is huge.

Side note: Rochester will have THREE (!!) defensemen with legitimate NHL potential. When was the last time we had three decent D prospects playing in Rochester?

A player like McCabe should have an eye kept on him. He could easily be a player moved in a ROR deal or another smaller trade. Unlike Bogo or Beaulieu, McCabe has some value and we have a bunch of bottom pair / depth defensemen. A McCabe move would likely be preceded by Guhle excelling in training camp / pre season. (Based on Botterill’s comments about Pilut playing some time in Rochester, and Borgen obviously will get a full season, at least, in the AHL).

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Gosh, I love the small moves has made like bringing in Shesry, Hunwick, Pilut, and Oglvie. Probability says not many of these guys will work out, and Hunwick was brought in for depth. Looking at these moves, though, creates competition everywhere which has been lacking for many years with this team.

Prospects like Pilut, Guhle, Olofsson, Borgen, and Asplund will be able to spend the time needed in Rochester without being forced up due to lack of bodies. That is huge.

Side note: Rochester will have THREE (!!) defensemen with legitimate NHL potential. When was the last time we had three decent D prospects playing in Rochester?

A player like McCabe should have an eye kept on him. He could easily be a player moved in a ROR deal or another smaller trade. Unlike Bogo or Beaulieu, McCabe has some value and we have a bunch of bottom pair / depth defensemen. A McCabe move would likely be preceded by Guhle excelling in training camp / pre season. (Based on Botterill’s comments about Pilut playing some time in Rochester, and Borgen obviously will get a full season, at least, in the AHL).
I actually see some opportunity for Borgen this year, although that could change in the coming weeks. With the current RHD depth he could be a Bogosian injury away if he’s playing well down in Roch

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I would be happy with just bringing in a leader & 4th liner like Joel Ward and letting the kids battle it out

Sheary-Eichel-Olofsson
Nylander-O’Reilly-Reino
Rodriguez-Mitts-Okoposo
Asplund-Girgs-Ward

Scandella-Risto (1a)
McCabe-Dahlin (1b)
Guhle-Nelson

Hutton
Ulmark

And the other kids like leftovers of the trio, O’Regan, Pilut get swapped in. NO long term deals NO big money. NO pooleeots, one year forward deals better be for forwards who are clearly better than the youth. D crop in FA is weak so they will all be overpaid so I will be happy to not touch any of those.

Reactions: moltenlava26

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
From what I've heard Pilut is apparently standing out big time so far at the prospects camp which is a good sign for the future of the blue line. Still we don't really have a #2 defensemen. Just a lot of potential 2nd pairing at best dudes. Still, long term depth is promising.

As for up front, with Beagle not resigning with the caps should we be targeting him as a temporary 2C in the case that ROR is dealt?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
From what I've heard Pilut is apparently standing out big time so far at the prospects camp which is a good sign for the future of the blue line. Still we don't really have a #2 defensemen. Just a lot of potential 2nd pairing at best dudes. Still, long term depth is promising.

As for up front, with Beagle not resigning with the caps should we be targeting him as a temporary 2C in the case that ROR is dealt?
Beagle is a really solid 4C. But he would play tough minutes if we lose ROR. Hearing that hes about to sign with Canucks makes me really unhappy as he would have been a great fit in our bottom 6 especially if we trade ROR.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
My Vancouver buddy with whom I spend many night during the winter arguing over the Sabres and Canucks mostly finally sees the light at the end of the tunnel for us. Dahlin changes so much, this past season was unplanned and unexpected but 10 years from now it will probably be viewed as the most important season in franchise history.

good trade for buffalo. just a 4th round pick and you guys needed vets. im starting to really like ur team, lol u know i thought it was a joke before but they are slowly adding pieces i like. mittelstadt, risto, eichel.. now dahlin.. and they still have o'reilly who i like, but im sure theyll prob trade him for something good. got rid of lehner.. now only to get rid of reinhart and i can actually cheer for them haha got rid of wannabes like ennis stafford, etc
minnesota going to trade coyle or nino to get rid of ennis' contract haha

yeah he hates Reinhart, thinks he's been gifted PP1 duty and a top 6 role. if Sam ever is traded I pray it's to Vancouver.

Last edited:

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara

Beagle signing with Vancouver unfortunately

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I actually see some opportunity for Borgen this year, although that could change in the coming weeks. With the current RHD depth he could be a Bogosian injury away if he’s playing well down in Roch
Borgen needs some AHL time. Maybe not a full year, but he needs experience against professional forecheckers before he makes the jump.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Besides Hutton, who are two other UFA the Sabres should target?

I think my two would be:

Riley Nash, C
I'd offer 4 years 16 million (4.5, 4.5, 3.5, 3.5) - 4.0 cap hit
if I move ROR, we need a good two way center

Toby Enstrom, D
3 years 16 million (6,6,4) 5.33 cap hit
a strong veteran defensive presence

I'm hoping LW gets dealt with via the ROR trade and I'm sure most would disagree so lets' hear what we think.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Besides Hutton, who are two other UFA the Sabres should target?

I think my two would be:

Riley Nash, C
I'd offer 4 years 16 million (4.5, 4.5, 3.5, 3.5) - 4.0 cap hit
if I move ROR, we need a good two way center

Toby Enstrom, D
3 years 16 million (6,6,4) 5.33 cap hit
a strong veteran defensive presence

I'm hoping LW gets dealt with via the ROR trade and I'm sure most would disagree so lets' hear what we think.
I love Enstrom, but I can imagine them adding another LHD. By my count, there are 4 already on one way deals, plus Dahlin, and the Guhle and Pilut potentially fighting for playing time.

Nash seems like a fit.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
I love Enstrom, but I can imagine them adding another LHD. By my count, there are 4 already on one way deals, plus Dahlin, and the Guhle and Pilut potentially fighting for playing time.

Nash seems like a fit.

Excellent point, but I’m thinking they may move several other pieces out. I like a steady veteran, a Teppo Numminen type to tie together the entire core but they have accumulated a lot of defensemen.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Excellent point, but I’m thinking they may move several other pieces out. I like a steady veteran, a Teppo Numminen type to tie together the entire core but they have accumulated a lot of defensemen.
Yeah, would be great to make it work. McCabe I think will play the right side this year. Beaulieu shouldn't factor into any plans, and Hunwick is a depth guy. So, if Enstrom were signed...
Scandella - Risto
Dahlin - Bogo
Enstrom - McCabe

Bench: Hunwick, Beaulieu

Guhle, Pilut in Rochester as 1st,2nd callups.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If no one else is brought in, put me down for stapling Dahlin to Scandella. Put trash with Risto and let them fight through their 25 minutes a night. Or give him Guhle and pray. But if Dahlin is indeed going to be playing significant minutes as an NHL rookie, by god let it be with someone competent in their own zone. Dahlin needs that. He can't be put on the learning plan of covering for peoples brain farts. Let him learn how the position is played when two competent people can work together so he can graduate to actually showing his skill.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If no one else is brought in, put me down for stapling Dahlin to Scandella. Put trash with Risto and let them fight through their 25 minutes a night. But if Dahlin is indeed going to be playing significant minutes as an NHL rookie, by god let it be with someone competent in their own zone. Dahlin needs that. He can't be put on the learning plan of covering for peoples brain farts. Let him learn how the position is played when two competent people can work together so he can graduate to actually showing his skill.

Dahlin doesn’t need a babysitter. He’s already better defensively than any partner he could be given anyways

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The entire point of an Enstrom type isn't more bottom pair clutter. It's a partner who can play a reliable defensive coverage system, even cover for a rookie's mistakes every now and then, while Dahlin learns the right way to play at this level -- where to be, what he's responsible for, what he's not, not be running around 20 minutes a night freaking out about his partner. It's basically Scandella on this team, and the question is whether you need him for your top pair or not.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Dahlin doesn’t need a babysitter. He’s already better defensively than any partner he could be given anyways
From watching him over the last two years, a couple of times live I’d say he’s not that good defensively if we get stuck in our own zone. The good thing is that he can break up plays and defend the blueline effectively.
Sheltered on the third pairing/7th D getting a good portion of minutes would be ideal in my opinion. With a lot of icetime if we’re behind. Keep him around 15 TOI and give him time to adapt. He was far from the best defenseman in the SHL last year and you usually have to dominate in the SHL to have immediate success in the NHL.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm going to lean toward Jame here. I think Dahlin already knows what he's doing. I'd rather see Dahlin-Ristolainen get going as ultimately they should be paired together long-term (but not 26 mins/gm). If, worst case, Bogosian is still here, he's the guy that needs a babysitter like Scandella. I'm sure all kinds of pairings will get thrown together helter-skelter by Housley, so it's not like any of us will see what we want on a regular basis anyway. Botterill may be patient to a fault and keep Guhle, Pilut, or any other young player in Rochester past December even if they impress.

I can confidently predict frustration though. That's definitely gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->