Roster Speculation 2017-2018, Episode IV, A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
IMO the Sabres have both quality and quantity problems on D. Trading McCabe for Hammer would have helped quality (at least for the upcoming year, though long-term there are still issues), but not quantity. We'd still need to add another D-man.

You got quantity with potential in antipin and beaulieu.

You can get more quantity in cheap free agent deals.

You would have gotten a big quality boost for two years. And in two years who knows, maybe guhle is ready for prime time. Maybe our pick this year is a beast. Maybe hammer still looks good and you resign him.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Why? Care to explain? I mean botts can throw in picks to sweeten it but I am not interested in signing Kane 6x6 in with I see posters saying.

Kane for Tanev has been a classic on HFBoards. Vatanen had a poor season but probably wont trade him after they let Theodore go and Minnesota is rumored to be offering a defenceman.

Main board summary:

- Kane's value is worth roughly a 2nd + B prospect.
- Tanev for 8 is BARELY acceptable for Vancouver fans.
- McPhee said he's not trading Theodore.
- Vatanen's trade value is likely higher than Tanev's.

We have to be realistic. Kane for Tanev hasn't been classic anything except a classic laugh in the face of Sabres fans who propose it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
IMO the Sabres have both quality and quantity problems on D. Trading McCabe for Hammer would have helped quality (at least for the upcoming year, though long-term there are still issues), but not quantity. We'd still need to add another D-man.

The only reason to trade McCabe would be to take a player who is signed on a longer contract that is cost controlled.

For example in 2019 say McCabe does really well and will be expecting say $5M+ a yr long term contract. Instead they trade him for a player who rather has more team control years (younger) or is under a contract that is longer like with 4+ yrs left.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
LV is trying to move up in the draft. Anything on their D roster that we could trade for #8? If so, Does #8 and #6 move them up into the top 3?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
No, nothing that will happen today would make me pine for the days of Tim Murray in charge :laugh:

People complaining about Botterill not swooping in for Hjalmarsson, well like others have already said blame Tim Murray. When you trade 2 2nds for Fasching, McNabb for Des, Pysyk for one year of Kulikov, 2 2015 1sts for Lehner and part of the Kane trade, a 3rd for Dan Bylsma, #31 as part of the RoR trade along with Compher, Zadorov etc that's why we don't have ammo for trades like that.

I'm fine with not trading McCabe and Guhle for Hjalmarsson because that's horrendous for Buffalo. Hjalmarsson is 30 not 25. He has two years left. McCabe is a decent second pairing dman in his own right and Guhle is projected to become a solid #2/3 dman also. Stay the course. This team hasn't finished out of the bottom 8 in what, 5 seasons in a row now? What, we are magically going to go from bottom 5 in 16-17 to a playoff contender over the next two seasons? We are in this **** situation solely due to the machinations of Tim Murray. Thank goodness he's gone and we have a much better person in charge. Botterill will show how it's done to build a winner, something Murray has never done. (Oh yeah I forgot he built an AHL winner. Botterill was a huge part of building back to back cup champions)

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
No, nothing that will happen today would make me pine for the days of Tim Murray in charge :laugh:

People complaining about Botterill not swooping in for Hjalmarsson, well like others have already said blame Tim Murray. When you trade 2 2nds for Fasching, McNabb for Des, Pysyk for one year of Kulikov, 2 2015 1sts for Lehner and part of the Kane trade, a 3rd for Dan Bylsma, #31 as part of the RoR trade along with Compher, Zadorov etc that's why we don't have ammo for trades like that.

This is so true.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Botterill is NOT trading 8OA for Scandella, and I'm fine with that.

I'm not that impressed with him. Add on the injury plagued past few seasons. I am fine with Beaulieu over him.

Well...I wouldn't take Beaulieu over Scandella, but whatever. To me, Botterill should swing for the fences for a top-pair LHD. I wouldn't feel that way if Buffalo didn't get screwed over by the draft lottery and still had #6.

8OA for Brodin would be acceptable IMO - and if a spare part has to be added to close the deal, that'd also be fine with me.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Oshie just extended with the Caps for 8 years. That is great news for us. That's arguably one of if not the best UFA forward available this summer. That means that Evander Kanes value will definitely increase. If a team wants to add a legit 20+ goal winger to their lineup and free agency pickings are slim, that just means there will be a market for Kane. The idea that he's worth a 2nd and a throwaway prospect is hilarious.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
After Minny trades Scandella, I assume Brodin is off the market. Not sure who else could be available as a top-pair LHD option. Fowler is likely staying put, Ryan Murray is closer to a 2nd pair guy, Hanifin and Slavin aren't available (maybe next summer).

Maybe moving up to #3 is about the only option?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I doubt Oshie has any bearing on Kane, since Kane only has a year under contract. His value has a built-in limit, then add in the drama. The only chance of getting a good return that we'll all mostly like is if it's to a team that he wants to re-sign with and can work out the generalities ahead of time.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Main board summary:

- Kane's value is worth roughly a 2nd + B prospect.
- Tanev for 8 is BARELY acceptable for Vancouver fans.
- McPhee said he's not trading Theodore.
- Vatanen's trade value is likely higher than Tanev's.

We have to be realistic. Kane for Tanev hasn't been classic anything except a classic laugh in the face of Sabres fans who propose it.

Sorry but I disagree. If you haven't been paying attention with all the trades going doing Kane+ will get you one of them depending on the plus.

McKenzie now reporting Minny will trade a defenceman and I don't see why a Kane+ can't get it done.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Oshie just extended with the Caps for 8 years. That is great news for us. That's arguably one of if not the best UFA forward available this summer. That means that Evander Kanes value will definitely increase. If a team wants to add a legit 20+ goal winger to their lineup and free agency pickings are slim, that just means there will be a market for Kane. The idea that he's worth a 2nd and a throwaway prospect is hilarious.

I agree. This was good for the Sabres. Not that those in for Kane were also considering Oshie, but anything to dry up the market is good.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Sorry but I disagree. If you haven't been paying attention with all the trades going doing Kane+ will get you one of them depending on the plus.

McKenzie now reporting Minny will trade a defenceman and I don't see why a Kane+ can't get it done.

Okay, lets pretend that Kane is valuable enough. They are trading a D man to get cap space. How does Kane help with that?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
At this hour, I'm assuming if a deal is to be done, it's going to involve our or someone else's first rounder. Probably ours.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The only reason to trade McCabe would be to take a player who is signed on a longer contract that is cost controlled.

For example in 2019 say McCabe does really well and will be expecting say $5M+ a yr long term contract. Instead they trade him for a player who rather has more team control years (younger) or is under a contract that is longer like with 4+ yrs left.

So you wouldn't trade McCabe for OEL? Interesting.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Well first off, Minny has no interest in Kane. They want a RH shot FW, preferably a C. While they're in win-now mode, they also lack top end draft picks so I'm sure a few of those could work. Either way Kane is not any of that, and it's highly unlikely that he'd want to stay in Minny so...

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Kane for Scandella
Sign Shattenkirk 6 for 6

Left Side: Scandella, McCabe, Beaulieu
Right Side: Risto, Shattenkirk, Antipin, Bogo

I'll trust Housley to figure the role/pairs...

Blueline fixed... Reinhart to center.

Something would have to be done about having 8 million dollars in spare defensemen. But otherwise, sign me up for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad