Roster Speculation 2017-2018, Episode IV, A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
He was actually decent on the left side with Risto.

I'd rather have too many dmen than not enough.

Shattenkirk without salary moving out means big problems in 2018. You can't just dump salary in Arizona anymore..

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
So if you want to beat AZ's offer, you pitch them McCabe, Guhle, and what?

Hjalmarsson is 30, signed for two years. A two year window coming out of a bottom 5 finish is tough to sign up for.

You have two years of a legit defense with a forward group that should be playoff worthy. Let's talk in two years about resigning hammer and what other young defenders have come up the system.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Why? Adding Stepan and Hammer makes them better in short term, even if it lands them in the fast lane to perpetual mediocrity. Dumb tweet, as usual, by Cox.

He's think that Chayka is on the hot seat and might make a dumb short term move because of the pressure.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
You have two years of a legit defense with a forward group that should be playoff worthy. Let's talk in two years about resigning hammer and what other young defenders have come up the system.

It would have been bad for the Sabres to give-up anything cost-controlled or a top-10 pick for Hammer. I'm glad they didn't. He doesn't have the age or term to give-up for that.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He was actually decent on the left side with Risto.

I'd rather have too many dmen than not enough.

The cap situation would be tough if you keep Bogosian at $5.1M per, you add Shattenkirk at stupid UFA money, and then you have the RFAs coming up next summer.

There are other ways around it, but it could be tough.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Unless some of these kids starting lighting it up, they've got a pretty mixed bag at forward. Domi scored 39 points last year. 39.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/ari/arizona-coyotes

They'll be better sure....but playoffs? Let's see what else they got in the pipe.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The cap situation would be tough if you keep Bogosian at $5.1M per, you add Shattenkirk at stupid UFA money, and then you have the RFAs coming up next summer.

There are other ways around it, but it could be tough.

Certainly. But as we've seen, teams focus on improving their team then deal with cap consequences when they come.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It would have been bad for the Sabres to give-up anything cost-controlled or a top-10 pick for Hammer. I'm glad they didn't. He doesn't have the age or term to give-up for that.

Who is talking about a top ten pick?

I'll take my chances on McCabe becoming way better. Hammer is a stud now and for the next four years.

People over value getting other young players. Eichel and Risto and Reinhart will most likely roll thru several groups of teammates if this team is successful. ROR doesn't have a ten year window.

Ppl saw the tire fire last year. But between injuries and bylsma last year, the quality forwards were overlooked and under produced. This team can win a playoff series with defensive upgrades.

Look at it this way, the pens won a cup with gonchar. Kings with Hal gill. When you have elite young talent, fix the gaps and give them a chance to win. The likelihood that your going to collect 15 guys that you want to pay real salaries will all be young or at an age with your stars is a strategy that limits your options enormously.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Who is talking about a top ten pick?

Ppl saw the tire fire last year. But between injuries and bylsma last year, the quality forwards were overlooked and under produced. This team can win a playoff series with defensive upgrades.

Would Hammer make the team better over the next two years? Yes absolutely. Assuming Bogo transitions to the left without problems, and the 8OA pick isn't needed in our future (Coyotes were rumored to be giving 7OA for him).

Would a LHD like Scandella make the team better? Yes as well. Does he last longer than 2 years before his wheels fall off? More likely, yes. Will he cost more? No.

It's irresponsible to trade for someone like Hammer at this point in time. That's fine for Chyka because he probably doesn't have a job next year if they aren't in the playoffs, whereas we have a GM who has been working the league for years and has every expectation to be doing this job for years as well.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't understand the love fest with Tim Murray. Other than Ryan O'Reilly, what trade was good?

He seems to have over utilized a lot of assets and doesn't have much to show for with what he acquired. He struggled running an organized successful culture and organization.

His scouting was not bad from what we've seen but he had some top picks and it's still to early to tell from some of the other picks.

My point is, I think Botterill will be significantly better and that we should support and trust him since he in fact is well regarded and well respected.

In terms of roster building, and "accelerating" the rebuild, more than the anti-Murray lead you to believe. Unfortunately, the results were less than stellar, with injuries that plagued the team.

Take away the results of the trades, and you have some great to solid thinking coming from Murray. It's easy to look back and say he shouldn't have done this, or he should've done that because we are now looking at the results. But the purpose of the trades IMO, were very good intelligent into building a team. The rewards aren't there unfortunately, but Murray isn't working with knowing this information.

I tried to focus on the trades that were HOCKEY trades, and tried not to include strictly trades that were just getting something instead of nothing. like the Moulson and McCormick move, or the Flynn/Mitchell moves.

the Good:

- Using the strength of team defense depth to acquire young quality talent and provide a role player, is something I have no regrets about. We have yet to see the full reward with Fasching still developing, but there is promise there. Played into the big, mobile team.

- Trading two soon to be UFAs in Miller and Ott to St Louis for a Stop gap goaltender in Halak, quality prospect in Carrier, a solid role playing forward in Stewart, a good asset in the 1st round pick, and 3rd rounder in 2016. Again Stewart and Carrier are players that fit that vision.

- Trading for cost-controlled young starter goaltender using a 1st round pick that is later in the draft to get a starting goaltender along with acquiring a veteran player to help a rookie Eichel and Reinhart. I'd do that idea of a trade everytime.

- The ROR trade I won't go into, but I'd do that trade everytime as well.

- Trading a limited offensive 3rd line defenseman(at the time) on the right side of your defense for an upgrade on the left side(Your weakest) for a young proven top 4 defenseman is something you do to build your team.

The Meh:

- Trading a top 4 young defenseman in Myers, a UFA to be in Stafford, recently drafted Lemieux, a stalled developed prospect in Armia, and a 1st round pick for a young top 4 defenseman in Bogosian, and a young multi-year contracted top 9 forward in E. Kane plus a throw away in a goaltender prospect in Kasdorf seems to have been maybe a 1st round pick too much, but it was a move done to re-shape the way the team was built.

- Trading a 2nd round pick for Gorges. It's strictly a leadership move, which this team needed at the time. For all the reports, he was well liked by his teammates especially with our newly signed Gionta. I'm not a fan of giving up an asset like a 2nd round pick, but thankfully it was a pick that was later than ours.

Looking back, yeah there are some questionable moves, but the only thing we have really missed was the depth that some of the players provided, not necessarily the players themselves.

JetBlk

Jul 3, 2014
Did his twitter profile say anything about the Sabres previously? Could've swore it did, but doesn't now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad