Speculation: Roster Speculation 2017-18 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I wonder how many teams will be in on Darren Raddysh?

Does TB have the edge with his brother already drafted and signed?

He could definitely battle for a spot here, with the D as is.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I cant see burning assets when we are in one of the best expansion protection situations in the league.

What are you proposing we offer to convince the not to take Ullmark? If they take him, sign Petersen. If he doesnt sign, then pick up a ufa backup. I cant see burning assets in this situation as a wise move.

If Ullmark goes to Vegas and Petersen doesn't want to sign, that leaves Buffalo without goalie depth that's taken a few years to develop. I'll burn an asset to keep that depth.

Depends on the cost. But if it's to take Moulson off our hands, yes please.

I think Vegas will want AHL talent who can come up in a year or two, or CHL/NCAA/European talent that can come into the AHL. The expansion draft will bring in a lot of NHL talent and draft picks.

I think Hagel works.

I think a deal can be made with vegas based on them picking a player then trading him yo buffal9 mainly for futures.

Losing Ullmark in the expansion draft has no bearing on buffali drafting a goalie. Goalies just dont come in snd play. A goalie drafted won't see the nhl till 20/21 at the earliest.

I expect buffalo to draft a goalie at some point vet ween late 2nd aND 6th rounds.

Sort of. If Petersen is on the fence about signing, I might think twice about stacking the pool. But that's a GMJB - Petersen communication thing that we won't really know about.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If Ullmark goes to Vegas and Petersen doesn't want to sign, that leaves Buffalo without goalie depth that's taken a few years to develop. I'll burn an asset to keep that depth.

I think Vegas will want AHL talent who can come up in a year or two, or CHL/NCAA/European talent that can come into the AHL. The expansion draft will bring in a lot of NHL talent and draft picks.

I think Hagel works.

Sort of. If Petersen is on the fence about signing, I might think twice about stacking the pool. But that's a GMJB - Petersen communication thing that we won't really know about.

Well put.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder how many teams will be in on Darren Raddysh?

Does TB have the edge with his brother already drafted and signed?

He could definitely battle for a spot here, with the D as is.

Vancouver and Toronto have been rumored to be looking at him. I was hoping for Chatfield from the Spits but the Canucks inked him back in March. He'd been at the Sabres prospect camp and could be a solid UDFA pickup at the pro ranks.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

disagree, goalie depth is a dime a dozen, we've found a different 1 every season since Miller left and they've all been capable if not good backups

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
disagree, goalie depth is a dime a dozen, we've found a different 1 every season since Miller left and they've all been capable if not good backups

Backups to bottom dwelling teams is one thing...legit backups and better yet legitimate young net minders is another thing.

The johnsons, lindbacks, enroths of the world don't equal legit backups to cup winning teams and aren't young enough to be taken seriously.

Losing ullmark and Peterson is a real and probable issue. No enroth is gonna stop that. Unless you're all in on lehner then maybe it's okay longterm...would rather have a competitive duo with a future though.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Backups to bottom dwelling teams is one thing...legit backups and better yet legitimate young net minders is another thing.

The johnsons, lindbacks, enroths of the world don't equal legit backups to cup winning teams and aren't young enough to be taken seriously.

Losing ullmark and Peterson is a real and probable issue. No enroth is gonna stop that. Unless you're all in on lehner then maybe it's okay longterm...would rather have a competitive duo with a future though.

how many backups saw any significant time in the playoffs? what are we looking for out of a backup? 25 regular season games? what caliber of backup do you really think you are going get? nope, backups are a dime a dozen sign someone and roll with it

and the phrase cup team and competition for starter don't mix real well, so if your point is they need to replace lehner than just say that

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
how many backups saw any significant time in the playoffs? what are we looking for out of a backup? 25 regular season games? what caliber of backup do you really think you are going get? nope, backups are a dime a dozen sign someone and roll with it

and the phrase cup team and competition for starter don't mix real well, so if your point is they need to replace lehner than just say that

Tell that to MAF and Murray who bailed out the Pens vs WSH and Ottawa respectively. And Lehner is not as good as either of them.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Tell that to MAF and Murray who bailed out the Pens vs WSH and Ottawa respectively. And Lehner is not as good as either of them.

Good job, you found the exception. Now why don't you tell me what every other team does with their backup in the playoffs?

Also lol @ Lehner not being as good as Fleury.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

If you are worrying about backups with the hot mess we have you have your priorities mixed up. There is always UFA goalies and when that dries up you can always trade a late pick or look overseas. I hope our GM has better things to focus on then backup goalie.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Hell, I was told STARTING goaltenders are easy to find by the crowd that didn't like the Lehner deal. All it takes is to trade 2nds and other draft picks. Surely we can fix the goalie situation pretty easily.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Wait, what has Fleury done to be considered better than Lehner other than finally win a playoff series with the best team in the East after years of melting down under those circumstances?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
And then regressed to one of the worst playoff goalies in the league for over a half-decade.

Nothing in Fleury's entire career says "definitively better than Lehner from last season."

I see we're going to be obstinate on this. Of course his backstopping the Pens to Cup appearances is better than anything Lehner has done. That doesn't mean he is better now or will be going forward. Nor have I argued or even said anything about that. But its a bit much to dismiss MAF's entire career as never having been better at any point than Lehner this past season. That he was just a floundering goalie who finally pulled it together in this years playoffs. Lets also not act like Lehner put together some sort of masterpiece season. He had a good 1st year as a starter.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I see we're going to be obstinate on this. Of course his backstopping the Pens to Cup appearances is better than anything Lehner has done. That doesn't mean he is better now or will be going forward. Nor have I argued or even said anything about that. But its a bit much to dismiss MAF's entire career as never having been better at any point than Lehner this past season. That he was just a floundering goalie who finally pulled it together in this years playoffs. Lets also not act like Lehner put together some sort of masterpiece season. He had a good 1st year as a starter.

Nothing fleury has done thru his career indicates anything more than slightly above average nhl career goalie.

Whether Lehner is that? He looks ok, but who knows. Either way this idea others have brought up of replacing him or worrying that ullmark gets taken, laughable.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Nothing fleury has done thru his career indicates anything more than slightly above average nhl career goalie.

Whether Lehner is that? He looks ok, but who knows. Either way this idea others have brought up of replacing him or worrying that ullmark gets taken, laughable.

Can't really disagree with this.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
My point was that neither goalie has demonstrated the consistency to call one definitively better than the other.

If we're gonna gain value with a Lehner trade and make it back by taking Fleury on the cheap? Great. But we should not view upgrading Lehner - especially with someone who isn't actually better - as any sort of primary objective for the offseason.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
My point was that neither goalie has demonstrated the consistency to call one definitively better than the other.

If we're gonna gain value with a Lehner trade and make it back by taking Fleury on the cheap? Great. But we should not view upgrading Lehner - especially with someone who isn't actually better - as any sort of primary objective for the offseason.

Fair enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad