Crosby 8.7
Kessel - 6.8
Hornqvist - 4.2
Hagelin - 4
Letang - 7.25
Fleury - 5.75
_
Total: 46.2

If we get top RFA (say Drais but could be Parayko or Pasta/Drouin/Toffoli at lower cap)
Drais - 8.75 (for example)
Eichel - 9.0
ROR - 7.5
Okposo - 6
Reinhart - 5.5
Risto - 5.4
Some good goalie - 5
_
Total: 47.15

It can be done IMO long term, if you ask me we have space for 1 more top RFA player to fit under the cap. Short term, Botts would have to be careful to clear the bad contracts we have but none of them I think are terrible to move if absolutely needed.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
As I said above 8.75 to Drais for me is the max, 9.0-9.5 to Eichel when his time comes. Doubt he's exactly angry at that lol He's supposed to be a "winner" so Im sure he would understand what having Draisaitl on our team makes us. If you are desperate, trade Reinhart when his time for new contract comes and you can't fit him on acceptable to him contract. I take Drais over Reinhart on my team any day.

I honestly don't know if Edmonton matches 8.75 4-5 years (whatever gets him to non UFA status) and also I don't know if it is of interest to Drais as he may prefer longer, slightly lower contract and stay in Edmonton anyway. But as I said, we got nothing to lose :popcorn:

Do you remember how the locker room reacted to signing Ehrhoff and Leino to big money deals? No thanks.

Refer to Drai's current team and how they are a lottery team :) You are forgetting, no more Disco Dan.

Don't forget Hall for Larsson. Edmonton's top three of Larsson, Sekera, and Nurse is better than the top three of Ristolainen and McCabe.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Do you remember how the locker room reacted to signing Ehrhoff and Leino to big money deals? No thanks.

Don't forget Hall for Larsson. Edmonton's top three of Larsson, Sekera, and Nurse is better than the top three of Ristolainen and McCabe.

Klefbom tho

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

So our locker room would rather be 8th from bottom, rather than 8 from top? I hope they have enough brains to figure out that bringing a superstar young stud gets them in the playoffs where many of them have never even played. Doubt you see many complaints. It's not like we have many underpayed players (Risto maybe but not really compared to other D recently signed in the league).

Yes Edmonton's D is slightly better than ours, but we can get some help in the 2 to 4 mil range to help out this offseason. Also some of what we have already may not be as absolutely terrible as it was under Disco. I have slight hope of this, but it is possibility.

EDIT: Also I did say, I'd rather Parayko over Drais but won't say no to Drais if we can nab him.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I don't do draisaitl just because those are still lottery picks until you fix the D, and now you're walking into 18-19 with a huge cap problem.

I wouldn't do draisaitl but I'd have to think if you are sheeting him it's because Reinhart is moving for D.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
There's that too, if Big Botts finds out he can get a decent D that wouldn't require more than 5-6 mil cap hit for Reinhart, I want him to be all over Drais's offer sheet.

I still don't want to be all over an over sheet that big

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
9M for a guy that's never been more than a 2nd fiddle on an NHL level line is not something I except someone of Botterill's calibre to do.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I still don't want to be all over an over sheet that big

Cheaper ones I'd go only D or winger, don't think we need to ffer sheet a C unless he's elite.

Pasta for Eichel's wing? Not sure at what point Bruins give up, but I assume it would be lower than Drais.

I'd also love to have Burakovskyi if we are going Wingers as I'm a big fan, but doubt he's on the radar...but he shouldn't be that expensive as his point totals are not great.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
9M for a guy that's never been more than a 2nd fiddle on an NHL level line is not something I except someone of Botterill's calibre to do.

That coming from the ultimate defender of all things Reinhart? Drais has done much more than Reinhart in similar position. He's got every ability to be elite 2C behind Eichel unlike Reinhart and step up in case of injury to be elite 1C (just like Syd and Malkin in Pitts). Then ROR could move to the wing or 3C depending what coach wants to do with the lines (I know some here want three scoring lines and some want to see ROR on Eichel's wing).

EDIT: And since you are gonna argue inevitably...go on the main boards and find me someone neutral that would put Reinhart and Drais in the same stratosphere of potential to be elite center.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
Cheaper ones I'd go only D or winger, don't think we need to ffer sheet a C unless he's elite.

Pasta for Eichel's wing? Not sure at what point Bruins give up, but I assume it would be lower than Drais.

I'd also love to have Burakovskyi if we are going Wingers as I'm a big fan, but doubt he's on the radar...but he shouldn't be that expensive as his point totals are not great.

I have a fundamental issue with offer sheets, if it's reasonable it gets matched if it's not reasonable you give up assets and in return you over pay a player. There's very few situations that I see an offer sheet and think "there's a move that really improves things".

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
That coming from the ultimate defender of all things Reinhart? Drais has done much more than Reinhart in similar position. He's got every ability to be elite 2C behind Eichel unlike Reinhart and step up in case of injury to be elite 1C (just like Syd and Malkin in Pitts). Then ROR could move to the wing or 3C depending what coach wants to do with the lines (I know some here want three scoring lines and some want to see ROR on Eichel's wing).

????

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Just so I have this clear

Our GM, who gushed about our top two centers (ROR/Eichel) as well as our overall strength at center. That guy is going to make an absurd offersheet to get Draisaitl?

Oh boy.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

Our GM, who gushed about our top two centers (ROR/Eichel) as well as our overall strength at center. That guy is going to make an absurd offerhseet to get Draisaitl?

Oh boy.

He was the only true centre I put on the initial list (Faksa maybe too but much lower profile) :) People want elite centres, fakt. If he has a chance to get Drais, I doubt he turns dorn the chance even if we have ROR and Eichel. 3 is more than 2 and apparently he likes flexibility. Both ROR and Drais have shown they can play on wing quite effectively previously. Once again - I'd rather target Parayko if we are going after elite talent.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
You know exactly what I mean so I'm not going to bother explaining.

One player played for a coach that had a solid forward core with multiple all-star level players score less 5on5 goals than everyone other than New Jersey and Vancouver. Yes, the Arizona Coyotes scored more 5on5 goals than the Sabres last season. ARIZONA COYOTES. Max Domi scored 9 goals last season and they still managed to have better 5on5 scoring than Buffalo.

Meanwhile, Draisaitl gets to play with the best offensive player in the world for the majority of the season.

It's basically the same thing.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He was the only true centre I put on the initial list (Faksa maybe too but much lower profile) :) People want elite centres, fakt. If he has a chance to get Drais, I doubt he turns dorn the chance even if we have ROR and Eichel. 3 is more than 2 and apparently he likes flexibility. Both ROR and Drais have shown they can play on wing quite effectively previously. Once again - I'd rather target Parayko if we are going after elite talent.

Draisaitl's on-ice results from playing C this season are Girgensons-level. Truly a true elite center.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

You're in fantasyland if you think our GM will be throwing around offersheets. I think your interpretation of his comments on that topic are like the ones about Sam and wing. You heard what you wanted to hear and ran with it.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Klefbom tho

Forgot. Good catch.

So our locker room would rather be 8th from bottom, rather than 8 from top? I hope they have enough brains to figure out that bringing a superstar young stud gets them in the playoffs where many of them have never even played. Doubt you see many complaints. It's not like we have many underpayed players (Risto maybe but not really compared to other D recently signed in the league).

Yes Edmonton's D is slightly better than ours, but we can get some help in the 2 to 4 mil range to help out this offseason. Also some of what we have already may not be as absolutely terrible as it was under Disco. I have slight hope of this, but it is possibility.

EDIT: Also I did say, I'd rather Parayko over Drais but won't say no to Drais if we can nab him.

The Sabres current locker room won't be bottom 8 much longer. Most of that was Bylsma, and the rest of the defense.

Bringing in Draisaitl at that price isn't the answer. You'll shatter the locker room. No one is going to see a second year center with one good year making that type of money as fair. There's only one player in the league that flies for: McDavid. Draisaitl won't lift the Sabres into the playoffs.

And the Oiler defense isn't slightly better. It's better, no modifier, and that's even forgetting Klefbom.

Why go the RFA route with Parayko? Just build around Ristolainen?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Your I fantasyland if you think our GM will be throwing around offersheets. I think your interpretation of his comments are like the ones about Sam and wing. You heard what you wanted to hear and ran with it.

What I heard is he is open to the option if the compensation is right - not sure how you can interpret it in a different way. If you are saying our GM also lives in fantasyland OK, your choice. I'm not saying it's likely but this is a forum to discus...things that may or may not happen... roster "speculation". In this cased based on words coming from our new GM, sue me...

On Reinhart, it's been clarified 3 times over what was said. Winger in his eyes for now, to be discussed with future coach and from what he sees further on... Not sure where that came from, but whatever.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

Our GM, who gushed about our top two centers (ROR/Eichel) as well as our overall strength at center. That guy is going to make an absurd offersheet to get Draisaitl?

Oh boy.

Yeah, I don't get the thought process either. We're center rich and about to blow the wad on another one? Doesn't make any sense.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Forgot. Good catch.

The Sabres current locker room won't be bottom 8 much longer. Most of that was Bylsma, and the rest of the defense.

Bringing in Draisaitl at that price isn't the answer. You'll shatter the locker room. No one is going to see a second year center with one good year making that type of money as fair. There's only one player in the league that flies for: McDavid. Draisaitl won't lift the Sabres into the playoffs.

And the Oiler defense isn't slightly better. It's better, no modifier, and that's even forgetting Klefbom.

Why go the RFA route with Parayko? Just build around Ristolainen?

Because it's a way to obtain top D with only giving up futures and cap/salary. Otherwise, we are looking at giving up Reinhart, and we all know how that conversation goes from the other topic on this. I'd rather have 2 top quality D unless I have something like the forward core of the Pens for example where you can compensate for somewhat weaker D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad