Roster Speculation 2017-18, Episode V, #5 Is Alive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
This is what my best guess is of the framework:

Girgensons-Eichel-Okposo (give Eichel our best winger and a guy he's shown chemistry with)
Kane-ROR-XXX (I've always thought ROR is a way better fit for Kane than Eichel is)
XXX-Reinhart-Pominville (Pominville produced top six numbers on a bottom 6 line in the Wild. With Reinhart at center, this could be a line that wins us a lot of games)
Moulson-Larsson-ERod (could definitely pot a few goals)

For the Reinhart/Pominville line, I would look for a LW that has decent skating ability.

The RW spot on the ROR/Kane line, I'd say make that spot a rotating competition between Fasching/Bailey/Baptiste.

A 1-year UFA left winger that can skate is my ideal hope for tomorrow.

Problem is there aren't many LWs that can skate left in UFA. Best I can hope for is Jokinen. With some easier minutes Jokinen-Reinhart-Pommers should be ideal depth scoring 3rd line.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
He said on the podcast that he probably would.

But who needs Carrier, right? :sarcasm:

If we had Carrier, we would have had to go and find Ullmark replacement (waiver-exempt starter in Rochester that can step up and play in case of injuries). We had to lose someone in the ED, can you please let it go?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Look at the Vegas picks and tell me with a straight face McPhee was after Ullmark.

He was the only Waiver exempt goalie with potential. Of course he was a target. Listen to his interview on Sportsnet (I think) where he stated he wanted more goalies but when they looked at the situation they faced, the ywould have gotten a bunch of young good goalies and some would have had to pass waivers. Ullmark didn't have to and cause of that was obvious target. As I said, let it go..

EDIT: ... said interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Nf6x-aymA

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
McCabe-Risto
Scandella-Bogo
Beaulieu-Antipin
x Falk

no wait...

McCabe-Risto
Scandella-Antipin
Beaulieu-Bogo
X Falk

no wait...

Scandella-Risto
McCabe-Antipin
Beaulieu-Bogo

no wait...

Scandella-Risto
McCabe-Bogo
Beaulieu-Antipin

no wait...

Beaulieu-Risto
Scandella-Antipin
McCabe-Bogo
X Falk

no wait...

Beaulieu-Risto
Scandella-Bogo
McCabe-Antipin
X Falk

I like this problem....

Summed up, does Housley play Scandella with Ristolainen? Or on a second pair that takes the tough minutes? Or does he use Scandella to get Bogosian going?

If he's truly going 5-man attack, then having a defensive second pair doesn't matter. You put Scandella with your best offensive defender, Ristolainen, to give him some freedom to roam.

If he's going to a lesser version of what he did in Nashville, and creates a defensive second pair, then you play Scandella away from Ristolainen. The issue there is there's no one defensive minded to be his partner.

Getting Bogosian going is the same as option 1, but just with Bogosian instead of Ristolainen.

Personally, I think Housley pairs him with Ristolainen. He's the future #1D, and it's time to let him roam a bit.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I think the d-pairs end up as:
Scandella-Ristolainen
McCabe-Antipin
Beaulieu-Bogosian

*just my initial thoughts

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I think the d-pairs end up as:
Scandella-Ristolainen
McCabe-Antipin
Beaulieu-Bogosian

*just my initial thoughts

That's how I see it starting until we figure out exactly what we have in Antipin on NA ice, Bealieu in new environment and Bogo under new system. Bottom line is I think the trio is a competent 4-6D. If Scandella, Rosto and McCabe can perform like a competent 1-3Ds we are in the playoff hunt for sure IMO.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
McCabe-Ristolainen
Scandella-Bogosian
Beaulieu-Antipin
x Gorges

Posted roughly this in another thread. These pairings make the most sense to me. McCabe and Risto did good together last year... McCabe just couldn't keep up with Risto's insane minutes. Smooth that out a bit, because we have other pairings with actual NHL defenders on it now (hope Bogo can bounce back) and all the pieces fall into place.

----

Seeing as how we just moved two wingers in an already depleted winger group, does anyone else think its that much more likely Reinhart starts there this year? As much fun as it is drawing up lineups thinking he'll be at center...

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He's 20 years old, hopefully he plays into his late 30's. If number 9 becomes available in the next year or two I bet he makes the switch.

jack_eichel_usa_121914.jpg

jack_eichel_boston_university_112114.jpg

BADoglick

Jun 12, 2012
Pens fan. Thought of this hypothetical earlier, posted on our board, wanted to see your thoughts:

Since Buffalo just moved Foligno and acquired a defenseman, and they have Botteril who presumably would be willing to work with us on something, I was wondering....would a trade like this make sense for both teams?

Girgensons
McCabe

For

Pouliot
Wilson

Wilson had a solid postseason, and was a talented scorer in the AHL. Maybe Botterill still likes his upside. And maybe he's also willing to give Pouliot another chance; the Sabres have more leeway to insert unproven players in their lineup and ride through his down nights than we are.

McCabe started out solid but fell off as the year went on. Maybe they don't see as much potential, but we could use someone more established than Poo but still has upside. Girgensons is someone they may have soured on but could be an answer at 4c.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Pens fan. Thought of this hypothetical earlier, posted on our board, wanted to see your thoughts:

Since Buffalo just moved Foligno and acquired a defenseman, and they have Botteril who presumably would be willing to work with us on something, I was wondering....would a trade like this make sense for both teams?

Girgensons
McCabe

For

Pouliot
Wilson

Wilson had a solid postseason, and was a talented scorer in the AHL. Maybe Botterill still likes his upside. And maybe he's also willing to give Pouliot another chance; the Sabres have more leeway to insert unproven players in their lineup and ride through his down nights than we are.

McCabe started out solid but fell off as the year went on. Maybe they don't see as much potential, but we could use someone more established than Poo but still has upside. Girgensons is someone they may have soured on but could be an answer at 4c.

McCabe is not for sale. And the trade value on this one is awful.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
McCabe started out solid but fell off as the year went on.
He was stuck alongside Risto playing crazy minutes for a while, because the two of them made up our one functional D pairing last year. Risto can eat those minutes, but McCabe can't really. Give him more realistic minutes and he won't burn out, and for that matter give Risto more realistic minutes and he's due to improve as well.

AKA McCabe isn't really available. I have to think our D is set for this year, at least until Boots gets a chance to evaluate what he has.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan

Girgensons
McCabe

For

Pouliot
Wilson

Buffalo gives up the best two players in the deal here. I can appreciate that rationale behind the proposal, but the value is really bad.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
The forwards on this team now are a real puzzle. The only for certains IMO is ROR and Eichel as the top 2 centers, ROR gets paired with Okposo, and Larsson either 3C or 4C depending on where they put Reinhart. That's a lot of openings, and a lot of good to mediocre players to fill them.

It's kind of exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. :laugh: Hopefully Housley is savvy and open-minded enough to try things out and see where players work best. And when they work... actually stick with them and build around it, unlike certain other coaches that shall not be named.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
The forwards on this team now are a real puzzle. The only for certains IMO is ROR and Eichel as the top 2 centers, ROR gets paired with Okposo, and Larsson either 3C or 4C depending on where they put Reinhart. That's a lot of openings, and a lot of good to mediocre players to fill them.

It's kind of exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. :laugh: Hopefully Housley is savvy and open-minded enough to try things out and see where players work best. And when they work... actually stick with them and build around it, unlike certain other coaches that shall not be named.

Nah...name and shame them...Bylsma the idiot

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
My dream off-season still consists of a Tanev acquisition to solidify a shutdown second pair.

To Vancouver
Bogosian
2018 1st
One of Bailey / Baptiste / Fasching / Asplund

To Buffalo
Chris Tanev

McCabe - Ristolainen
Scandella - Tanev
Bealieu - Antipin
Gorges / Guhle

Status
Not open for further replies.