Roster Speculation 2017-18, Episode V, #5 Is Alive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 27798

I'm not a Kane fan, and hope he is traded.

If he is moved, the Sabres will need some speed to replace him in the top 6.

Jack...great skater
ROR...average skater
KO...slightly above average skater
Sam...average skater

Two spots open...if they move Pominville into one of them, that makes them even slower. Nylander, Baptiste or Bailey? Signing a guy like Vanek doesn't help the speed game either. I like Gagner, but at his age, i am sure he will be looking for a 4 or 5 year deal.

Regardless...I still want Kane dealt.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If the Sabres can add Shattenkirk and Vanek tomorrow and move out Bogosian they have a team capable of threatening for the division title.

Girgensons-RoR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-Baptiste
Vanek-Reinhart-Pominville
Erod-Larsson-UFA

Scandella-Ristolainen
McCabe-Shattenkirk
Beaulieu-Antipin

Lehner
Johnson

That's a surefire playoff team.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If the Sabres can add Shattenkirk and Vanek tomorrow and move out Bogosian they have a team capable of threatening for the division title.

Girgensons-RoR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-Baptiste
Erod-Larsson-UFA

Scandella-Ristolainen
McCabe-Shattenkirk
Beaulieu-Antipin

Lehner
Johnson

giphy.gif

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Please no Vanek.

If you sign someone like that just get Jagr for 1 year.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Girgensons-RoR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-Baptiste
Erod-Larsson-UFA

Scandella-Ristolainen
McCabe-Shattenkirk
Beaulieu-Antipin

Lehner
Johnson

We're not getting Shattenkirk

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015

Girgensons-RoR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-Baptiste
Erod-Larsson-UFA

Scandella-Ristolainen
McCabe-Shattenkirk
Beaulieu-Antipin

Lehner
Johnson

You have no where near the cap room for that. Unless you plan on signing these guys to one year deals.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Shattenkirk is not happening at this point.

Vanek actually makes sense but only on a 1 year deal. We have cap space this year to overpay a little if need be, and Vanek fills the gap on LW untill Nylander is ready next year.

Doesn't have to be Vanek, but he'd work.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
You have no where near the cap room for that. Unless you plan on signing these guys to one year deals.

If we move out Bogosian? We easily can make it work. A Vanek deal would be a simple 1 year deal as a placeholder until Nylander is ready. In order to keep Shattenkirk we would just have to move Moulsons one year left in 18-19. That shouldn't be too big of a problem next summer.

I mean Tyler Ennis was traded. Not dumped with a high pick to clear cap, but we actually traded Ennis in a pure hockey trade.

Pominville is still a high end 2nd liner. He was in the early 100s among forward scorers last year. That puts him in the high end second liner range. (90 1st liners, 180 top 6 forwards). And Shattenkirk would be a big help. He would be a great addition to Buffalo. To think he wouldn't make us much better is laughable and just a personal vendetta against him. This trade today doesn't automatically take us out of the Shattenkirk sweepstakes. Credible sources said we were making a huge push for him and that was even during the Scandella rumors. So obviously Botterill was working on both at the same time.

Shattenkirk in for Bogosian, along with the earlier Scandella, Beaulieu and Antipin additions takes us from a bottom 5 defense to a top 10/12 defense.

Scandella-Ristolainen
McCabe-Shattenkirk
Beaulieu-Antipin

Is a damn good defense assuming Antipin translates his game to the NHL well. Not to mention we would still have Guhle waiting in the wings.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
No more Dmen unless the heavens open with a deal we cannot refuse. I keep Kane unless I get a good return--I do not see a player available I would trade for. I do not see a heavy hitting, forechecking, really speedy LW who can score 25 goals for us. Maybe a new system and a coach who can help Kane with his defensive deficiencies and his penchant to blast away wide way too often.....Happy to have Chad if we get him.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Nostra might be onto something.

If Botts can trade Ennis and win the deal. Maybe he has magic brewing and has a Bogo (or Moulson) trade half done just incase Shattenkirk actually signs. If he doesn't, no big deal. Go forward with Bogo.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

If we move out Bogosian? We easily can make it work. A Vanek deal would be a simple 1 year deal as a placeholder until Nylander is ready. In order to keep Shattenkirk we would just have to move Moulsons one year left in 18-19. That shouldn't be too big of a problem next summer.

I mean Tyler Ennis was traded. Not dumped with a high pick to clear cap, but we actually traded Ennis in a pure hockey trade.

Pominville is still a high end 2nd liner. He was in the early 100s among forward scorers last year. That puts him in the high end second liner range. (90 1st liners, 180 top 6 forwards). And Shattenkirk would be a big help. He would be a great addition to Buffalo. To think he wouldn't make us much better is laughable and just a personal vendetta against him. This trade today doesn't automatically take us out of the Shattenkirk sweepstakes. Credible sources said we were making a huge push for him and that was even during the Scandella rumors. So obviously Botterill was working on both at the same time.

Shattenkirk in for Bogosian, along with the earlier Scandella, Beaulieu and Antipin additions takes us from a bottom 5 defense to a top 10/12 defense.

Scandella-Ristolainen
McCabe-Shattenkirk
Beaulieu-Antipin

Is a damn good defense assuming Antipin translates his game to the NHL well. Not to mention we would still have Guhle waiting in the wings.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How do you all like the roster now? What one weakness would you like to see addressed the most over the first two days of UFA.

Do we waive Gorges and save a $1M against the cap by putting him Rochester.

A depth center: Cullen, Boyle, perhaps Nate Thompson

Vet plug and play winger(s): Tommy Wingels, Korpikoski, maybe King though not my first or even second choice. Gio at less than half of his last deal, 1-year term would work for me too.

I can only see Buffalo signing 1 MAYBE 2 wingers in free agency. Other than that I would say that the team is saving up for Jack and Sam's contacts. they make 2 mil (combined) and with no bridge, it will go up to 16 (combined). Note, i cant believe Sam is worth 6 mil but it's what the market dictates.

I would think ERod is signed too a 2 or 3 year deal at 1-1.2 mil a year. that way if he doesn't work out then there is no real issue; however, if he does work out a contract or trade will be in-order.

Bailey and Baptiste have 1 year left on their contacts and will have ample opportunities to prove they belong. the skill is their but mental / positional abilities need work.

Nylander is still 2 years out IMO he is not a bottom 6 forward so the Sabres are not going to rush him. If he rips it up in the AHL, perfect, but still please do not rush this guy.

Their are 7 D ready to go next year and 3 of them are fighting for 2 spots night to night. thats a good problem to have.

The point is Management needs to see what they have. It's going to be another year fighting for a playoff spot and I cant see them rushing anything. See what you have in the pipeline, build from within, and from the draft the core is or will be here signed long term so there is no rush. I pray management is patient....I'm sure the fans will be too :sarcasm:

I'd expect them to look to keep their prospects on the "earn it" track given Botterill's comments. Giving out a one year deal or two might be something they try to work.

Hrmmm, with Foligno gone, how about we sign us some Dwight King in the 3rd/4th line role.

Could be. Still think there might be better options but he's a possibility.

They subtracted 4 NHL forwards and added 1... I think they'll definitely be adding at least 1 NHL forward via UFA/Trade. Probably 2.

I'm thinking 2 with a shot at a third depth vet for the Amerks.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Moving Bogo's salary is a pretty big if. I can't think of a team in the league that would be interested in taking on his salary for three years without us really making it worth their while. And if we sign Shattenkirk tomorrow, any team willing to take on Bogo can hold off on a trade and let us squirm until we drastically overpay for it.

I don't see Botts going down that route.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I wonder what this done for Kane.
Is he off the market, or do they still look for something for the guy?

Just for the fact that many of us felt he was the guy we'd deal for a defenseman

Said it before, Kane & Moulson to Vancouver for a prospect.
Now that's a trade I would love to lose from an HF perspective.
Sign Vanek to a one year ?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If I'm Botterill, I'm hunting a team looking to unload a high cost forward while taking back Gorges

For example:
Gorges for Kulemin
We add about 1 million cap this year.

Both are free agents at the end of the season. Both have sucked badly in recent years...

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Moving Bogo's salary is a pretty big if. I can't think of a team in the league that would be interested in taking on his salary for three years without us really making it worth their while. And if we sign Shattenkirk tomorrow, any team willing to take on Bogo can hold off on a trade and let us squirm until we drastically overpay for it.

I don't see Botts going down that route.

Or, maybe some teams miss out on a UFA defenseman they wanted and Bogosian's value goes up a bit.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
This is what my best guess is of the framework:

Girgensons-Eichel-Okposo (give Eichel our best winger and a guy he's shown chemistry with)
Kane-ROR-XXX (I've always thought ROR is a way better fit for Kane than Eichel is)
XXX-Reinhart-Pominville (Pominville produced top six numbers on a bottom 6 line in the Wild. With Reinhart at center, this could be a line that wins us a lot of games)
Moulson-Larsson-ERod (could definitely pot a few goals)

For the Reinhart/Pominville line, I would look for a LW that has decent skating ability.

The RW spot on the ROR/Kane line, I'd say make that spot a rotating competition between Fasching/Bailey/Baptiste.

A 1-year UFA left winger that can skate is my ideal hope for tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad