Moulson-Reinhart-Virtanen
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

Scandella-Risto
Beaulieu-Antinpin
McCabe-Bogosian
Falk

Lehner
Condon

Try to find a good short term value at LW to play with Eichel.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Zero chance Vancouver makes that trade

Edit: did not realize he was struggling /that much/ in Van.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
A thought:

Kane to Vancouver for Virtanen and a 2nd
Baptiste and a 2nd to MN for Scandella

Sign Gionta to a 1 year, 2.5M deal
Sign Larsson to a 3 year, 4.5M deal
Sign Girgensons to a 2 year, 3M deal
Sign Beaulieu to a 2 year, 4M deal
Sign Lehner to a 2 year, 6M deal
Sign Foligno to a 3 year, 7.5M deal
Sign Condon to a 1 year, 1.5M deal.

Leaves you around ~14M in cap space

XXXX-Eichel-Okposo
Girgensons-O'Reilly-Ennis
Moulson-Reinhart-Virtanen
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

Scandella-Risto
Beaulieu-Antinpin
McCabe-Bogosian
Falk

Lehner
Condon

Try to find a good short term value at LW to play with Eichel.

I think I saw you post this on capfriendly? Not a bad idea, quantity for Kane, and then flipping some pieces for Scandella. I could see that kind of move with Kane to any number of teams like Vancouver or Los Angeles, or others.

Personally I'd rather deal Bailey than Baptiste, but that's me.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Shattenkirk? Alzner? It is slim pickings for defencemen this year. Going to be tough to improve the defence unless Botts is going to roll with what we already have.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Shattenkirk? Alzner? It is slim pickings for defencemen this year. Going to be tough to improve the defence unless Botts is going to roll with what we already have.

Trades happen. And Minnesota seems like a willing partner. Plus, we already improved the defense significantly by firing Bylsma and bringing in Antipin and Beaulieu. Guhle going pro this season as well.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
What do we have to offer for Scandella?

I'm thinking everything we have is too valuable or not enough.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
What do we have to offer for Scandella?

I'm thinking everything we have is too valuable or not enough.

can't believe it should be too hard.... Minny will want futures i believe..

throw a 2nd and a prospect and call it a day

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think I saw you post this on capfriendly? Not a bad idea, quantity for Kane, and then flipping some pieces for Scandella. I could see that kind of move with Kane to any number of teams like Vancouver or Los Angeles, or others.

Personally I'd rather deal Bailey than Baptiste, but that's me.

Yeah I wanted to see how the numbers looked with RFAs signed.

But yeah, flip kane for assets, use assets for D.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Some steaming hot kane takes incoming:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/bernstein/db170624.html

One team exec with some damning words about the Sabres left winger for potential suitors: “Stay away.

“He’s the guy everyone in the locker room hates. As much as he is skilled, you’re talking about issues, maybe if you have a strong room, but I would not move a significant asset for him because he will stir the pot with his teammates. He’s the Jeremy Giambi of hockey; I wouldn’t give more than a third-round pick for him

I find it quite humorous. I certainly don't think Hamilton has enough sources to have any idea what Kane's value is league wide. And TFP using an 'unamed exec'....$20 its someone from Winnipeg.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
With the way JB has drafted, I'm beginning to think Ennis is actually going to be a core piece for him.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Slim pickings for top pair maybe, but there's a glut of veteran middle pair guys, many of which played slid minutes on good teams this year: Markov, Daley, Oduya, Del Zotto, Hainsey, Campbell, etc. They all play left side, so if nothing else we should have a way to push Gorges out of the starting roster.

Daley has been a personal favorite of mine for awhile.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Any B level defensive prospects we could bring in via trade to replenish the prospect pool a bit? Thinking of a D version of a Fasching, Bailey, Compher, Baptise, Pu, etc. level players. Would take someone in juniors/college or AHL.

Cliff Pu had a good year. Any chance we could flip him for a similarly rated and rising D?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
NHL

C: Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Larsson, Girgensons

LW: Kane, Ennis, Foligno, Moulson, Deslauriers

RW: Okposo, Gionta (?)

LD: McCabe, Beaulieu, Gorges, Falk

RD: Risto, Bogosian, Antipin

Goalie: Lehner

I'd like to see a free agent goalie signed and let ullmark start one more year in the AHL, hopefully with a much more competent roster. A free agent or two for the bottom six would be nice as well. And anything to bring in a new defenseman to play on the leftside.

I don't know if we can trade Kane unless we sign a winger to replace his goals. Scoring is still a potential issue

God are players like Moulson and Gorges an eyesore on the roster.

And I'd love to see defined roles for reinhart and girgensons this year

Rochester/Cyclones

C: Malone, Cornel, Rodriguez

LW: Smith, Karabacek

RW: Nylander, Fasching, Baptiste, Bailey

LD: Guhle, Stephens, Martin

RD: Nelson

G: Ullmark, Johansson, Kasdorf

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Any B level defensive prospects we could bring in via trade to replenish the prospect pool a bit? Thinking of a D version of a Fasching, Bailey, Compher, Baptise, Pu, etc. level players. Would take someone in juniors/college or AHL.

Cliff Pu had a good year. Any chance we could flip him for a similarly rated and rising D?

I want them putting the full-court press on Brickley. Get him back for Dev Camp, show him around town again... schmooze him as much as possible so that when his NCAA season ends, they can again be in the running even though the GM has changed.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
That quote about Kane might be very biased, but we can't deny that there is a certain amount of bad rep following him around the league. Whatever that amounts to is a guess, but it still highlites what a gamble that trade was by TM. Given Kane's contract length I still can't understand why TM would make that move when Buffalo was still rebuilding.

Every damn way I try to look at it, it was a massive blunder - Kane's off-ice drama, Kane's contract and re-sign-ability, Bogosian... I don't care how mediocre the assets were that went the other way, fact is those assets still had better trade value than what Botterill will ever be able to get back from these two. GMs will be far more likely to wait now and trade for Kane at this TDL, but with an obviously reduced return which will only consist of futures. So not only will Buffalo take a hit overall, it will also take an extra few years to benefit from the reduced return. Only way to speed that up is if the futures can be flipped next summer for a roster player. Good, non-rental, roster players won't be available at the TDL.

It's up there with Dennis Persson over Nick Foligno for me.

Deleted member 27798

If Kane is as much of a locker room problem as rumored above, take what you can get in the offseason and move on. I don't want him around the younger players.

Addition by subtraction.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
Given Kane's contract length I still can't understand why TM would make that move when Buffalo was still rebuilding.

Every damn way I try to look at it, it was a massive blunder - Kane's off-ice drama, Kane's contract and re-sign-ability, Bogosian... I don't care how mediocre the assets were that went the other way, fact is those assets still had better trade value than what Botterill will ever be able to get back from these two.

I always kind of laugh at the thought of the Pegulas asking Murray what they can get back for Kane. Murray probably hemmed and hawed until finally explaining he could get back a #5 Dman and a 3rd round pick.

I am so happy Murray is no longer around to make his disastrous trades. I know some people love that he likes to massively overpay for assets. Whatever and good riddance.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The way Botterill is building this team I'd have to think Kane is here for 17-18 and we re-assess an extension after the season and possibly let him walk if he isn't dealt at the deadline. Nearly every pick was a speedster and that's a strength of Kanes game. To say you want to attack with speed and play a high tempo game and then move Kane goes again what you are preaching. I have to say I am eager to see Kane in Housleys system. Could have a nice season, again.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The way Botterill is building this team I'd have to think Kane is here for 17-18 and we re-assess an extension after the season and possibly let him walk if he isn't dealt at the deadline. Nearly every pick was a speedster and that's a strength of Kanes game. To say you want to attack with speed and play a high tempo game and then move Kane goes again what you are preaching. I have to say I am eager to see Kane in Housleys system. Could have a nice season, again.

It's also possible they don't like the offers they get for Kane and he becomes a potential deadline piece if the Sabres are not in the hunt. Deadline pricing is always higher than summer market moves.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I don't think Kane's speed is a factor at all outside of getting in on a heavy forecheck and punishing D-men. He doesn't contribute to TOs and quick transition, he isn't smart enough to help generate odd-mans where his speed would have an extra advantage. He's a one-way hammer and I highly doubt either Botterill or Housley view him as a future piece within their vision of how to play. I also think Botterill thinks TM's "acceleration" was dumb, and that Botts wants to build more through smart drafting. Therefore I see Botterill quite happy to take whatever futures he can get for Kane at the most expedient time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad