McCormick

Alternatively, if DB wants to keep Larsson w/Ennis+Moulson

Moulson-Larsson-Ennis
Kane-ROR-Eichel/Girgs
McGinn-Reinhart-Eichel/Girgs
Foligno-Legwand-Des/Gio
McCormick
Hodgson?

Idk. We have 14 guys who can slot in, a bunch of guys who can play up and down the lineup at either center or wing, plus question marks in Reinhart and Hodgson...I tried, but it's hard right now

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Thoughts on Mike Richards on a similar deal that Brad Richards got last offseason, 1 year/~2 mil, now that he's on unconditional waivers?

Now that we got ROR, does Murray still feel the need for a Vermette type?

ROR and Larsson bring what Richards would. We have no space nor need for his role. I don't want to add a single forward frankly, unless it's some no-brainer trade or NHL/AHL depth.

Do we have a clutch face off guy yet? We needed one soo bad last couple years..

O'Reilly was 53.4% last season. He's been over 50% every year but his rookie season. Of those year's he's been 52%+ except for 2013-2014 where he was some 51%.

He should be our best next season but in time Eichel, Reinhart, and Girgensons should all be pretty good. Eichel started out pure garbage at faceoffs with BU and was their best man by the end of the season. At the WC he did very well in many games. Reinhart has been a strong faceoff man at his level.

Last edited:

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I never heard him say he didn't want to start them at center, just that he didn't want to start with a #1 and #2 combo of Eichel and Reinhart. Separately, when asked about potentially having too many centers, he noted that Girgensons, ROR, and Larsson all have proven they can play wing in the NHL. He then noted that star center prospects often ease in at wing. All I draw from that is anything is possible except for starting with Eichel and Reinhart as our two most-used centers, which is supported by Bylsma saying ROR slots in as our top-line center at the moment. So it could be Eichel as our #2 and Reinhart as our #3.

Those are the bits I've heard/read for quotes too. Didn't see where Larsson was specifically named as being a wing option though? Actually, I don't recall hearing anything about Larsson.

Anyway, if we presume Eichel signs and starts off in the NHL, Reinhart doesn't get start off in the AHL, and Hodgson is off the roster, then Sabres have 14 forwards. Which means something has to give before we can reasonably guess starting line-ups, so maybe we're better off going with your commentary that sort of incorporates a "process of elimination" approach...

1C & 2C will not be Eichel & Reinhart
1C will be O'Reilly
Top 6 wings will include Kane and Girgensens
??
??
??

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I obviously compared the two, nothing even remotely subtle about it, and also rather obviously as a lead-in to looking at where Moulson fits going ahead (see: the balance of the post you quoted but ignored).

(EDIT: player comparisons are not unusual when looking at where guys fit in, and seeing how you had described Moulson's defensive and skating game very alike to how Hodgson, who is a buyout candidate, is described, it shouldn't be a big deal to you that I used Hodgson's situation to flag that Moulson isn't far off from being the same non-fit)

Player comparisons are not unusual at all. But I was quite surprised by your initial post because Hodgson has pretty much no bearing as a comparative or otherwise on where Moulson fits in the lineup or if he belongs here. You are making a false equivalency by trying to portray them as being similar players. Moulson is a faster skater and better defensive player than Hodgson while at the same time not being that fast and not being that great defensively. Offensively its no contest. Moulson is the far better and established goal scorer, the difference is quite pronounced as wingers. he also plays a much grittier game by going to the dirty areas to get goals. Hodgson does not do that.

In summary Hodgson has no relevance to Moulson and whether or not he fits on the roster or where he fits on the roster. So color me confused you brought him up in the first place along with buyouts and everything else.

So, again, look for nefarious (or otherwise hidden) intent elsewhere; I've already openly declared my intentions and my positions. Nor am I interested in your attitude conveyed under the guise of erroneous allegations that I was "spinning" something merely because I didn't copy 'n paste an entire spread sheet the first time.

You still don't get the entire buyout thing. I'll clarify. There is literally no point in posting what you did on buyouts (total buyout price and yearly payouts) in a roster speculation thread. Because none of that matters from a team building pov. Which is what this thread is about. All that matters are the cap hits and their implications which you didn't bring up at all. If you weren't trying to be misleading and actually thought this mattered. Then so be it.

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
On where Moulson fits into things, I honestly don't how he's an important piece this season, much less for the next few. I say "honestly" cuz I'm not trying to argue against it so much as simply not seeing it. But then I just can't see how he's needed in the top 6 even to start this next season unless it's specifically to be a gap filler that, as you say, allows for easing the youngsters into the lineup?

I think you need to stop thinking in terms of traditional setups.

I don't think we're going to have a traditional top 6, a checking line and an energy line.

Look at the talent, both young and veteran.

We are set up wonderfully right now to run 3 lines that are all relatively equal. Just imagine:

Kane-ROR-Eichel
Ennis-Larsson-Moulson
Reinhart-Girgensons-Gionta
McGinn-Legwand-Deslauriers/Foligno

Those top 3 lines all have 2-way elements. They all have scorers. They all have solid passers. Which of the top 2 lines would draw the tougher assigments??? That 3rd line then feasts against lower competition.

Think in terms of a top 9 instead of a top 6, and it becomes easy to slot Moulson in somewhere. Because he belongs.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
McGinn - O'Reilly - Ennis
Moulson - Girgensons - Eichel
Kane - Larsson - Reinhart
Foligno - Legwand - Gionta
x: Deslaurier, McCormick

UFA - Bogosian
Gorges - Ristolainen
Weber - Pysyk
x: Ruhwedel, McCabe

Lehner
Johnson

That McNabb and 2nds for Fasching and Deslaurier trade looks a lot more ******** now.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
McGinn - O'Reilly - Ennis
Moulson - Girgensons - Eichel
Kane - Larsson - Reinhart
Foligno - Legwand - Gionta
x: Deslaurier, McCormick

UFA - Bogosian
Gorges - Ristolainen
Weber - Pysyk
x: Ruhwedel, McCabe

Lehner
Johnson

That McNabb and 2nds for Fasching and Deslaurier trade looks a lot more ******** now.

McGinn i see playing on the right side. Highly unlikely he would be on the top line with Kane on the third line. And I don't see Eichel being moved from center

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Those are the bits I've heard/read for quotes too. Didn't see where Larsson was specifically named as being a wing option though? Actually, I don't recall hearing anything about Larsson.

[NHL]831247[/NHL]

Go to 9:25. You may not have noticed Larsson because first he talks about how ROR and Girgensons played wing, then mentions Larsson and McCormick as being center/wingers a bit afterwards.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Player comparisons are not unusual at all. But I was quite surprised by your initial post because Hodgson has pretty much no bearing as a comparative or otherwise on where Moulson fits in the lineup or if he belongs here. You are making a false equivalency by trying to portray them as being similar players. Moulson is a faster skater and better defensive player than Hodgson while at the same time not being that fast and not being that great defensively. Offensively its no contest. Moulson is the far better and established goal scorer, the difference is quite pronounced as wingers. he also plays a much grittier game by going to the dirty areas to get goals. Hodgson does not do that.

In summary Hodgson has no relevance to Moulson and whether or not he fits on the roster or where he fits on the roster. So color me confused you brought him up in the first place along with buyouts and everything else.

You still don't get the entire buyout thing. I'll clarify. There is literally no point in posting what you did on buyouts (total buyout price and yearly payouts) in a roster speculation thread. Because none of that matters from a team building pov. Which is what this thread is about. All that matters are the cap hits and their implications which you didn't bring up at all. If you weren't trying to be misleading and actually thought this mattered. Then so be it.

I do see a very clear comparison to be drawn between Moulson's "deficiencies" as you describe them, and Hodgson's. Ergo, I made the comparison. Done. I also have an obviously different take on Hodgson's going forward upside compared to Moulson's going forward decline. Ergo, I flagged my take, done.

And yes, I do get the "entire buyout thing". No need to clarify further. Nor is there any need to now chastise me for having posted anything at all. For my part, I posted my opinions about two players presently on the roster in the roster thread, but you're a mod - if you believe the entirety of my post is better suited to another thread, move it. Delete it. Whatever.

Also, seeing how it'd be pretty lame to even try to "mislead" or "spin" readily available and easily obtained non-subjective figures relating to a widely debated topic that has already been beaten to death, it'd be awesome if you could drop the whole nefarious character insinuation thing going on. It's unwarranted, misplaced, and unnecessarily insulting if the objective is to engage in a discussion.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
[NHL]831247[/NHL]

Go to 9:25. You may not have noticed Larsson because first he talks about how ROR and Girgensons played wing, then mentions Larsson and McCormick as being center/wingers a bit afterwards.

Hey, gotcha, and thanks. I hadn't clued into the Larsson (or McCormick) reference. Guess I was too distracted with ears out for key words like "Eichel", "Reinhart", "O'Reilly", lol.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Eichel will not be playing the wing. He just played at the Worlds as USA's #1C. He will be the 2C to start, and Reinhart will be the most likely to start off on the wing, or be the 3C.

Kane-ROR-Girgensons
Moulson-Eichel-Ennis
Larsson/McGinn-Reinhart-Gionta

That's looking like the top 9

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I wonder that if Murray can't arrange a trade for Hodgson in the summer, that he keeps him on the roster and plugs him in for a "trade value rehab" stint. If Hodgson puts up a few points on the sweetest RW spot in the line-up (say, next to RoR and Ennis) for a month or so, Murray then finds a trade partner. Reinhart ironically becomes "ready" to be called up from Rochester that same week and slides into RW, but the FW lines coincidentally get rearranged. Maybe.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I wonder that if Murray can't arrange a trade for Hodgson in the summer, that he keeps him on the roster and plugs him in for a "trade value rehab" stint. If Hodgson puts up a few points on the sweetest RW spot in the line-up (say, next to RoR and Ennis) for a month or so, Murray then finds a trade partner. Reinhart ironically becomes "ready" to be called up from Rochester that same week and slides into RW, but the FW lines coincidentally get rearranged. Maybe.

Yeah, it's called showcasing and I've been suggesting it for months now but Murray has stopped taking my calls it seems. Dunno why. :dunno:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I do see a very clear comparison to be drawn between Moulson's "deficiencies" as you describe them, and Hodgson's. Ergo, I made the comparison. Done. I also have an obviously different take on Hodgson's going forward upside compared to Moulson's going forward decline. Ergo, I flagged my take, done.

And yes, I do get the "entire buyout thing". No need to clarify further. Nor is there any need to now chastise me for having posted anything at all. For my part, I posted my opinions about two players presently on the roster in the roster thread, but you're a mod - if you believe the entirety of my post is better suited to another thread, move it. Delete it. Whatever.

Also, seeing how it'd be pretty lame to even try to "mislead" or "spin" readily available and easily obtained non-subjective figures relating to a widely debated topic that has already been beaten to death, it'd be awesome if you could drop the whole nefarious character insinuation thing going on. It's unwarranted, misplaced, and unnecessarily insulting if the objective is to engage in a discussion.

Gross victim talk for the last paragraph. He simply suggested your information was not relevant regarding payouts vs cap hit. He's right none of us should care what Pegula actually pays in a buyout, because it has no bearing on which guy to keep around.

So either your using that information ignorantly or your trying to jam numbers to fit your point that don't tell the real story.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Just wanted to stop in and say I think your team looks scary as hell as soon as even next year. Your center depth is insane. While the yotes continue the suck campaign next year I'll cheer you guys on, especially risto and Eichel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad