Roster Speculation 2015-16 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
You guys are building a great looking team. I'm a huge Lehner fan, and disagree with most people about the trade. I hope Ottawa pays big for many years. Good luck guys.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
What do you guys think the lines look like as of now for the Sabres?

Top 6 is pretty easy.

Kane - O'Reilly - Ennis
Moulson - Eichel - Girgensons

Bottom 6 a bit more tricky but many options.

D

? - Bogosian
Gorges - Ristolainen
? - Pysyk

Love to see Sekera and Paul Martin.

Sekera - Bogosian
Martin - Ristolainen
Gorges - Pysyk

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Eichel will play center. Reinhart may play wing or 3C. Larsson I have trouble seeing on the 2nd line.

Girgensons-O'Reilly-Ennis
Kane-Eichel-McGinn/NEED top 6 RWer
Moulson-Larsson-Reinhart
Foligno-Legwand-Gionta
X Deslauriers, McCormick, Hodgson

UFA/Trade LHD-Bogosian
""-Ristolainen
Gorges-Pysyk
X Weber

Lehner
Johnson (maybe a vet Biron like goalie to help Lehner)

Eichel starting at wing makes more sense than Reinhart starting there

We do NOT need anything in relation forwards.

Weber is not a scratch defensemen

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What do you guys think the lines look like as of now for the Sabres?

Kane-ROR-Eichel
Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
McGinn-Legwand-Deslauiers

Reinhart sitting a couple games ti start the year unless:
Hodgson bought out, and someone traded for #1 LD.
We don't have many roster spots available and we have plenty of cap space.

Xxx-Bogosian
Pysyk-Ristolanien
Gorges-Weber

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Eichel starting at wing makes more sense than Reinhart starting there

We do NOT need anything in relation forwards.

Weber is not a scratch defensemen

Gorges might be with the injury concerns...

Weber's best suited in the 5 slot, seeing PK time.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Kane-ROR-Eichel
Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
McGinn-Legwand-Deslauiers

Reinhart sitting a couple games ti start the year unless:
Hodgson bought out, and someone traded for #1 LD.
We don't have many roster spots available and we have plenty of cap space.

Xxx-Bogosian
Pysyk-Ristolanien
Gorges-Weber
Why don't you think Eichel will start at center? Seems like it could give the Sabres really solid center depth rolling O'Reilly-Eichel-Girgensons/Reinhart-Lewand.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Why don't you think Eichel will start at center? Seems like it could give the Sabres really solid center depth rolling O'Reilly-Eichel-Girgensons/Reinhart-Lewand.

We have the center Depth to insulate Eichel, It allows Eichel to get used to the speed of the game on the smaller ice, I'm going off of how other Franchise centers have been brought up directly after draft year(Stamkos, Crosby for example). I do expect him to take the center position from ROR.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Kane-Oreilly-Eichel
Moulson-Larsson-Ennis
Girgensons-Reinhart-McGinn
Foligno-Legwand-Gionta
X Deslauriers, McCormick, Hodgson

xxxx-Bogo
Weber-Risto
Gorges-Pysyk
X xxxx

Lehner
Johnson

........I think you're onto something here. 3 lines, nice and balanced.

Maybe swap Girgensons and Kane though??? Not sure how Kane and Eichel would fare on the same line together. Kane and McGinn would give opposing defenses FITS....

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
We have the center Depth to insulate Eichel, It allows Eichel to get used to the speed of the game on the smaller ice, I'm going off of how other Franchise centers have been brought up directly after draft year(Stamkos, Crosby for example). I do expect him to take the center position from ROR.
Makes sense. He should be the Sabres' #1 center within a year or two, for sure.

I was a huge Eichel fan all year, and was very impressed with how he looked at center in the World Championships (albeit, on larger ice, as you implied), so I could see him holding his own against NHL centers. The one thing the Sabres have done is greatly improve their center depth where they don't have to rely on Eichel or Reinhart to carry the second line right away, which seems like it will be important to their development.

Just from experience, it seems as though learning to be defensively responsible is the biggest challenge and poses the steepest learning curve to young centers such as Eichel and Reinhart (or Kopitar, when he first came up to the Kings). It does make sense to shelter those two to start until they can responsibly play the center position at the NHL level.

Regardless, I am looking forward to watching the Sabres this year. They should be a fun team.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Kane-O'Reilly-Eichel
Moulson-Larsson-Ennis
Girgensons-Reinhart-Gionta
Foligno-Legwand-McGinn
x Deslauriers
x McCormick
x Hodgson

????-Bogosian
Weber-Risto
Gorges-Pysyk
Ruhwedal?

Lehner
Johnson

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Moulson didn't have a lack of effort. He just isn't a very good skater or defensive player. As for his production, it will be contingent on his line mates. If they can get him the puck in and around the net he should be productive again.

Even if Moulson starts to produce again next season you will still probably think he isn't putting in a good effort due to the deficiencies in his game (skating + defense). Outside of the area around the net he usually doesn't look all that amazing.

Swap ice-time, opportunity and expectations of Hodgson and Moulson last year, and today we're making up lines that plug Hodgson down into the top 6 - while talking about Moulson's buyout ...

Don't get me wrong; I'm entirely satisfied with Hodgson off the roster. As much as I like the kid and expect to see him show more of his upside somewhere else next year, he just doesn't fit long term into the new roster, and wouldn't even if he was coming off a career season.

But still ouch on an 8 year buyout cap hit, period.

And totally blah that the Sabres look to buyout a 25 year old whose "deficiencies" (quoted cuz it's a good word) are no worse than Moulson's, but whose offensive upside is far better. Even if Hodgson never transitions an ounce of his pre-draft above average d game and never rebuilds whatever it was that was lost of his physical game confidence, his play making vision, passing, hands and shot are all better than 31 year old Moulson's coat-tail riding garbage goal snagging game.

Talking about taking on an 8 year long buyout cap hit to shed a "defensive liability" and "one-dimensional" player who doesn't really fit the roster anyway, and I wish we were talking about buying out 31 year old Moulson and his limited NTC contract rather than 25 year old Hodgson who is still 2-3 years from his prime...

Besides, at least with Hodgson he could be showcased and flipped mid-season. Not seeing the Sabres get rid of Moulson early.

Moulson

Contract Term: 4 years remaining (expires 2018-2019)
Cap Hit: $5.00m
Current Age: 31 (32 November 2016)
Age At Contract Expiry: 36

Buyout Term: 8 years (thru end of 2022-2023)
Base Salary Payable Per Year: $916,667
Total Salary Payable: $7,333,333

Hodgson

Cap Hit: $4.25m
Current Age: 25 (26 January 2017)
Age At Contract Expiry: 29

Base Salary Payable Per Year: $791,667
Total Salary Payable: $6,333,333

With our sudden richness in forward skill, I'd like to find a way to keep Larsson with Moulson and Ennis. That would certainly be possible, especially if Reinhart cracks the lineup. You can mix and match ROR, Eichel, Reinhart, Kane, Girgensons all you want and add Foligno, or McGinn, or Gionta to make two good lines. Then keep Moulson, Larsson and Ennis as a third line. That would make three solid lines and be a headache to matchup against.

I want to keep Larsson with Ennis and Moulson too.

And here I am desperately hoping that Ennis is no longer stuck with Moulson on his coattail, lol.

It's not as though Moulson-Ennis had any "chemistry" last year - they were simply locked together at the hip initially, and then by default as the year dragged on and increasingly fewer 1st line options were available.

This next season though, Ennis' speed and forechecking heart would be so sweet to watch with a genuinely talented play making center (ie: O'Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart) and a wing mate who brings space-making power (ie: Kane, Girgensens), can make up for his defensive liabilities (ie: O'Reilly, Kane, Girgensens), and can close goals in his own right (ie: O'Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart, Kane). I imagine Ennis could be put to far better use in a top 6 offensive role than slugging him into 3rd line with Moulson merely because they were locked together by circumstance last season.

Also, it'll be interesting to see who the 3C really is, and if that's Larsson, then what Larsson does with the role. He looked good toward the end of last season with the 1st line minutes, but it's not as though he faced the long grind of top tier match-ups either.

It'll be interesting to see what he can do with bottom 6 minutes and limited, if any, power play opportunity. It would suck for him though, if he was plugged into a traditional 3rd line shut-down role with Moulson on his wing.

punkr0x

Jul 2, 2009
At least Moulson brings a veteran presence and effort every night. And put him with good linemates and he will put up 30 goals. What does Hodgson bring beyond a sense of entitlement?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Swap ice-time, opportunity and expectations of Hodgson and Moulson last year, and today we're making up lines that plug Hodgson down into the top 6 - while talking about Moulson's buyout ...

Don't get me wrong; I'm entirely satisfied with Hodgson off the roster. As much as I like the kid and expect to see him show more of his upside somewhere else next year, he just doesn't fit long term into the new roster, and wouldn't even if he was coming off a career season.

But still ouch on an 8 year buyout cap hit, period.

And totally blah that the Sabres look to buyout a 25 year old whose "deficiencies" (quoted cuz it's a good word) are no worse than Moulson's, but whose offensive upside is far better. Even if Hodgson never transitions an ounce of his pre-draft above average d game and never rebuilds whatever it was that was lost of his physical game confidence, his play making vision, passing, hands and shot are all better than 31 year old Moulson's coat-tail riding garbage goal snagging game.

Talking about taking on an 8 year long buyout cap hit to shed a "defensive liability" and "one-dimensional" player who doesn't really fit the roster anyway, and I wish we were talking about buying out 31 year old Moulson and his limited NTC contract rather than 25 year old Hodgson who is still 2-3 years from his prime...

Besides, at least with Hodgson he could be showcased and flipped mid-season. Not seeing the Sabres get rid of Moulson early.

Not really sure what Hodgson had to do with what I posted but I'll indulge you.

The main difference between the two is Moulson has proven success producing goals as a winger playing with a high end center. Thats primarily because he always goes to the dirty areas in front of the net and gets a lot of those "ugly" goals. Hodgson does not play that way. He's goal scoring will come from his shot not from going to the dirty areas.

Moulson

Cap Hit: $5.00m
Current Age: 31 (32 November 2016)
Age At Contract Expiry: 36

Base Salary Payable Per Year: $916,667
Total Salary Payable: $7,333,333

Hodgson

Cap Hit: $4.25m
Current Age: 25 (26 January 2017)
Age At Contract Expiry: 29

Base Salary Payable Per Year: $791,667
Total Salary Payable: $6,333,333

You've not portraying the cap cost of buying out the two. And thats all that matters.

Moulson's cap hit over the next 8 years if bought out.

1. 2,916,666
2. 2,916,666
3. 2,916,666
4, 3,916,666
Years 5-8 are at 916,666

Hodgson's cap hit over 8years if bought out

1. 1,041,666
2. 541,666
3. 41,666
4. -458,334 (not sure how that would work/does team get that as a credit?)
Years 5-8 are at 791,666

Last edited:

SabresSociety

Jan 3, 2014
McGinn-ROR-Eichel
Kane-Reinhart-Girgensons
Moulson-Larsson-Ennis
Foligno-Legwand-Deslauriers
X- Gionta, McCormick

(Hodgson + Min 2017 2nd for Gormley)

Oduya-Bogosian
Gormley-Ristolainen
Gorges-Pysyk
X-Weber

Lehner
Lindback

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
McGinn-ROR-Eichel
Kane-Reinhart-Girgensons
Moulson-Larsson-Ennis
Foligno-Legwand-Deslauriers
X- Gionta, McCormick

(Hodgson + Min 2017 2nd for Gormley)

Oduya-Bogosian
Gormley-Ristolainen
Gorges-Pysyk
X-Weber

Lehner
Lindback

No way am I giving up a 2nd to rid ourselves of Hodgson. We've spent the huge cache of draft picks we had saved up. Now its time to conserve and collect them where we can.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Evander Kane-ROR-Tyler Ennis 1st line/Shutdown Line/Counter-Attack

Bylsma already mentioned ROR starts at first line center. Murray acquired Evander Kane to be a "first liner". Tyler Ennis has raved about ROR, now he gets him at center.

Why: This is the line that gets the hardest minutes and matchups. Think of it as a updated Roy-Drury-Grier line that dominated for the Sabres on their run that should have won a Stanley Cup. ROR is in the Drury role, Tyler Ennis is Derek Roy, and Evander Kane is the power forward Mike Grier. This line has it all an can frustrate the other team while chipping in the other way when the other team makes a mistake. It has also been said by Colorado fans that ROR doesn't drive the offense on his own so Kane and Ennis can do that with ROR being the glue holding it together.

Jack Eichel-Zemgus Girgensons-Sam Reinhart 2nd line-Young Centers

This has to happen. Zemgus shields Eichel and Reinhart from center duties. Eichel plays off-wing because he is a sniper, Reinhart gets RW to help with his board play. Imagine Eichel and Reinhart together. Now stop imagining and enjoy! Zemgus gets his first 30 goal season here.

Matt Moulson-Johan Larsson-Brian Gionta 3rd Line Moulson is not the best 5 on 5 player but he continues to work with Larsson who drives possession and savvy vet and captain Gionta. This line should acquit themselves well against the other team.

McGinnn-Legwand-Foligno 4th line with Deslauriers moving in and out depending on injuries and need. What you need in a 4th line, simple game, can chip in once in a while.

SabresSociety

Jan 3, 2014
No way am I giving up a 2nd to rid ourselves of Hodgson. We've spent the huge cache of draft picks we had saved up. Now its time to conserve and collect them where we can.

I don't see it as paying to get rid of Hodgson, what if I change it to 2016 3rd?

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Not really sure what Hodgson had to do with what I posted but I'll indulge you.

The main difference between the two is Moulson has proven success producing goals as a winger playing with a high end center. Thats primarily because he always goes to the dirty areas in front of the net and gets a lot of those "ugly" goals. Hodgson does not play that way. He's goal scoring will come from his shot not from going to the dirty areas.

Very true: Moulson is a proven goal scorer with a quality center. But it doesn't negate the fact that Hodgson has 3 of 4 seasons proving he can set up proven goal scorers ;) They may have similar defensive games, skating woes and lack of physical play styles, but they have two very different offensive games, as noted.

I'm not sure how their different offensive games or 31 year old Moulson's past successes might negate the notion that 25 year old Hodgson has more going forward upside? Guess that's the part I'm not seeing.

You've not accurately portrayed the cap cost of buying out the two. And thats all that matters.

Moulson's cap hit over the next 8 years if bought out.

1. 2,916,666
2. 2,916,666
3. 2,916,666
4, 3,916,666
Years 5-8 are at 916,666

Hodgson's cap hit over 8years if bought out

1. 1,041,666
2. 541,666
3. 41,666
4. -458,334 (not sure how that would work/does team get that as a credit?)
Years 5-8 are at 791,666

Actually, I did accurately portray the buyout figures. I merely didn't copy 'n paste the break down by year as my understanding of the pertinent details from a fan's perspective is what the player ends up actually receiving (only $1m more to buyout Moulson) and from a fan's sensitivity and club practicality perspective - the cap hit 4 years out when the youngsters need contract room (only $125,000 more to buyout Moulson).

Here's the breakdown by year, not that it matters - it's Hodgson on the chopping block, lol.

Moulson

2015-16 $2,916,667
2016-17 $2,916,667
2017-18 $2,916,667
2018-19 $3,916,667
2019-20 $916,667
2020-21 $916,667
2021-22 $916,667
2022-23 $916,667

Hodgson

2015-16 $1,041,667
2016-17 $541,667