Roster Speculation 2015-16 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Just wanted to stop in and say I think your team looks scary as hell as soon as even next year. Your center depth is insane. While the yotes continue the suck campaign next year I'll cheer you guys on, especially risto and Eichel.

Thanks a bunch...don't worry, the suffering doesn't last forever. Hope you guys get your hometown boy Auston Matthews next year!

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
With the log jam at forward, I wouldn't be totally shocked if Reinhart was in Rochester. But if he is ready and shows it, he's gotta stay up.

If he stays, and there are no takers on coho and we buy him out, maybe it's someone like moulson that is moved for a Dman.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
With the log jam at forward, I wouldn't be totally shocked if Reinhart was in Rochester. But if he is ready and shows it, he's gotta stay up.

If he stays, and there are no takers on coho and we buy him out, maybe it's someone like moulson that is moved for a Dman.
Moulson isn't getting moved.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
I'm starting to wonder if there is a chance that Reinhart starts in Rochester.

I think there's definitely a chance. I don't think any forwards will be gifted a roster spot on this team, and if he still has a way to go at training camp, it might make the most sense. Give him time to add strength and work on his game in the pros at a lower level... I like that idea more than trading him for a LHD to be honest.

That said, I would also be surprised if Hodgson isn't bought out, and that plus any possible trades might open up a spot in the roster for him.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm starting to wonder if there is a chance that Reinhart starts in Rochester.

if Reinhart does start in Rochester, I want a few heavy hitters to be on the team to give him space and make sure anyone who thinks its open season on top draft picks gets a busted a nose for it.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Murray has setup the Sabres for some potential asset gains with Legwand and McGinn. Assuming we are out of the playoff race at the deadline, we may be able to get a few draft picks to really ease the up front price we paid for Lehner and O'Reilly.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Gross victim talk for the last paragraph. He simply suggested your information was not relevant regarding payouts vs cap hit. He's right none of us should care what Pegula actually pays in a buyout, because it has no bearing on which guy to keep around.

So either your using that information ignorantly or your trying to jam numbers to fit your point that don't tell the real story.

Sabrebuild, as always your knack for leaping into a convo to relay Josh's position is appreciated and admirable. And I mean that very respectfully.

Nevertheless, at this stage it'd probably be more useful if Josh himself sent a pm to follow-up should he feel it's even necessary, rather than us inadvertently hijack the thread further with a fresh debate over your add-on interpretation of my character and intellect. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Moulson isn't getting moved.

Don't think he has value, or think the team needs him too much?

Cause I couldn't say I wouldn't be extremly excited to see you guys break camp with this top 9:
Girgensons - ROR - Eichel
Foligno- Larsson - Kane
McGinn - Reinhart - Ennis

1st line:
Girgensons - ROR - Eichel

I would throw Eichel into the fire because of how much more advanced he is physically/skating-wise than Samson. So I'd break him in on a line that'll see the toughest match ups, but lets him ease into that by starting on the wing with two of the best young two-way forwards you could ask for to do the heavy lifting on that line. Which would let Eich just fly and find his offensive game in the NHL, before taking on the greater defensive responsibilities he'll have to bare when he becomes a full-time Center. A Landeskog - ROR - MacKinnon line almost dragged us into the playoffs in the west despite rolling with Guenin-Barrie/Hejda-Redmond/Holden-Stuart as our defensive pairings after the Allstar break (due to EJ's injury). They almost pulled it off by dominating all over the ice and each going ~PPG over the last ~35 games (only 10-15 for MacK since his season was ended early to). A Girgs - ROR - Eichel line would have a lot of similar elements working for it and could be a similarly dominant unit for you this season.

I get the impulse to want Eichel to play where he's going to end up anyway right off the bat, but letting him get his feet wet, seeing how hard it is as the go to line, while still gaining confidence in his ability to dominate the NHL offensively like he did every other level is the way to go in my eyes. The time on the wing didn't hurt Seguin one bit and MacKinnon is likely going to start this season on the wing despite already having two NHL campaigns under his belt. I see all three of these kids as having a lot of similar strengths, so it would seem a good way to get Eichel started as well.

2nd Line:
Foligno- Larsson - Kane

With the third line getting sheltered this line will also have to handle tough assignments. Fortunately Foligno and Larsson are good at that and Kane is very much a guy who generates his own offense to give this line real teeth on both ends of the ice while helping drive possession. With Foligno going to the net and Kane shooting on sight, Larsson could find some fine success on this gritty line that scores a lot of garbage goals.

3rd Line:
McGinn - Reinhart - Ennis

Give Reinhart's line heavy ozone starts against lower competition, with Ennis to help him create, and a big boy there to make room from them, shoot, and bang in garbage goals. As a more cerebral prospect than Eichel who's not very physically developed/overwhelming, I think he'd do better getting eased into the NHL as a Center facing lower lines with quality line mates (Ennis a genuine top 6 winger and McGinn a good middle 6er).

That's two awesome two-way lines and an offensive third line that gets sheltered until Reinhart becomes the defender he should grow into. Adding Moulson for one of the big boys either makes that third line charmin soft, or means that second line is much less likely to be very effective at facing the toughest minutes and heavy dzone starts. So I'd think Moulson was someone you guys would do well to move in a trade if he still holds value.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Sabrebuild, as always your knack for leaping into a convo to relay Josh's position is appreciated and admirable. And I mean that very respectfully.

Nevertheless, at this stage it'd probably be more useful if Josh himself sent a pm to follow-up should he feel it's even necessary, rather than us inadvertently hijack the thread further with a fresh debate over your add-on interpretation of my character and intellect. Thanks.

Your welcome!!

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Don't think he has value, or think the team needs him too much?

Neither. I think they won't move him because they just brought him back. We traded him at the deadline and he chose to return to our garbage team because he liked the city, ownership, etc so much, thought this would be a great place to achieve some stability (5 year contract). It'd be tough to turn around and dump him a year later. I'd like to move him personally to free up forward room, recoup some assets/and or package for a D, but he should do well here the next couple of years.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
if Reinhart does start in Rochester, I want a few heavy hitters to be on the team to give him space and make sure anyone who thinks its open season on top draft picks gets a busted a nose for it.

Didn't Murray already say in a press conference that he expects Reinhart to be in the NHL next year? I thought I heard WGR talk about it and it is also mentioned in this article:

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2015/6...ns-buffalo-sabres-youngsters-reinhart-zadorov

I was under the impression it was already decided.

I think spreading Kane, McGinn, Girgensons, Foligno and Deslauriers throughout the lineup should allow plenty of muscle to protect the stars Ennis, Eichel, Reinhart, etc...

Kane-Eichel-O'Reilly
Ennis-Larsson-Moulson
Girgensons-Reinhart-Gionta
McGinn-Foligno-Deslauriers

That is a good, deep forward group.

????-Bogosian
Gorges-Ristolainen
Weber-Pysyk

The right side of the defense is set. The left side could use some improvement and maybe some offense? I like the thought of trading for Daley. What would it take to get him? Adding Daley and Sekera to push Weber to #7 and giving McCabe another year to grow/provide depth with Ruhwedel is good for every reason.

Lehner
Johnson/AHL guy

I'm excited. Let's drop the puck.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Neither. I think they won't move him because they just brought him back. We traded him at the deadline and he chose to return to our garbage team because he liked the city, ownership, etc so much, thought this would be a great place to achieve some stability (5 year contract). It'd be tough to turn around and dump him a year later. I'd like to move him personally to free up forward room, recoup some assets/and or package for a D, but he should do well here the next couple of years.

Well that and the whole NMC thing.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Makes sense. Forget about the whole coming back thing with him. Still would rather see your top 9 without him so you can load up on the two way play around your kids and try the Foligno-Larsson-Kane line, but that would be a dick move. Guess either Ennis gets moved for that LHD Murray wants with moulson slotting in next to Reinhart (not expecting that), or one of Foligno/McGinn start on the 4th line (the more likely scenario)...which isn't exactly a bad place to be given that injuries are actually a thing lol

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Didn't Murray already say in a press conference that he expects Reinhart to be in the NHL next year? I thought I heard WGR talk about it and it is also mentioned in this article:

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2015/6...ns-buffalo-sabres-youngsters-reinhart-zadorov

I was under the impression it was already decided.

I think spreading Kane, McGinn, Girgensons, Foligno and Deslauriers throughout the lineup should allow plenty of muscle to protect the stars Ennis, Eichel, Reinhart, etc...

Kane-Eichel-O'Reilly
Ennis-Larsson-Moulson
Girgensons-Reinhart-Gionta
McGinn-Foligno-Deslauriers

That is a good, deep forward group.

????-Bogosian
Gorges-Ristolainen
Weber-Pysyk

The right side of the defense is set. The left side could use some improvement and maybe some offense? I like the thought of trading for Daley. What would it take to get him? Adding Daley and Sekera to push Weber to #7 and giving McCabe another year to grow/provide depth with Ruhwedel is good for every reason.

Lehner
Johnson/AHL guy

I'm excited. Let's drop the puck.

I think TM did comment on Reinhart's progress being possibly NHL ready (didn't check out your link), but he's commented about a lot of things before, during and after bringing in new players so perhaps some of his speculation will be adjusted as things continue to unfold...

He also said, btw, that Girgensens was "top 6", and really I guess I find it hard to fathom he'd be put to a 3rd line winger. There's also O'Reilly who has been declared as the 1C to start things off, and Legwand and McCormick (dunno about his injury status) who are natural centers and who will likely displace Foligno from continuing that experiment?

I like your thing about trying to spread out some of the power/strength, but that second line is exposed with only rookie Larsson to account for the defensive games of both Moulson and Ennis.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'm thinking:

Line 1: Kane-ROR-Girgensons: All the possessions line
Line 2: Moulson-Eichel-Ennis: All the offensive starts
Line3 3A: Foligno-Reinhart-Gionta: Easiest matchups
Line 3B: Des-Larsson-McGinn: Defensive zone starts and difficult checking matchups

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I'm thinking:

Line 3B: Des-Larsson-McGinn: Defensive zone starts and difficult checking matchups

Hmm... that actually looks good (well, although I'd still swap Ennis and Girgensens)... how'd you do it? Who'd you leave off altogether?

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

Right! Sheesh, duh on me. And McCormick, but who knows how his injury looks.

Otherwise looks snazzy, except maybe swapping Girgensens and Ennis, giving Eichel some power on the wing if/when he's mulled. Ennis will always try to stand up for his rookie mate but isn't exactly huge himself and Moulson, well, he'll just chew the mouth guard, lol

Kane-ROR-Ennis : All the possessions line
Moulson-Eichel-Girgensons: All the offensive starts

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
We got Lehner.... Ok.

We got Kane... Ok.

We got O'reilly... Ok.

We got Eichel.... Ok.

Cherry on top of all of this?...

We never have to see them in the **** Jerseys.

Edit: OMG ... they censor ****? rhymes with third jerseys.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
A few people in here aren't taking injuries and things happening throughout the year into account too well. For example, just because Moulson doesn't fit in some imaginary top-six LW role on these fantasy rosters doesn't mean he needs to be immediately moved. It's a nice luxury to have such a potentially deep forward core, but now isn't the time to run guys out of town so that the roster looks clean on paper.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I'm thinking:

Well-thought roster with lots of flexibility. In the event Reinhart spends time in the AHL, you could easily insert Legwand and slide Larsson up. If Hodgson is still on the roster, that adds additional flexibility and likely ensures Reinhart gets some development time. (I go could either way on where Reinhart will be.) It will be interesting to see what other moves come along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad