Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Sucks to be Larsson in that projection. I think it'd be a waste too, both for Larsson individually (only 22 and essentially waiting for injuries to get some offensive scraps above grinding it out with McCormick/Des), and for the team which could trade his upside now for something the Sabres don't have so much of (d? top 6 winger?) .

Varone, Schaller, etc., etc. could be serviceable 4th liners.

Varone is an AHL/NHL tweener. Schaller needs more time to be a regular 4th liner.

Part of Larsson's appeal and value isn't just that he seems like he can handle a top 9 role, but that he is perfectly capable of excelling on the 4th line, unlike some other players who just can't play the two-way or physical game necessary. You might know who I'm thinking of....:sarcasm:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If Larsson ends up on the 4th line, some great things will have happened for the Sabres.

Both Foligno and Grigorenko will have kind of exploded, and both Reinhart and McEichel will have proven top-six ready at some point.

None of that will happen by opening night, but maybe a few months later. Also, I wouldn't want to get stuck in a "top nine or nothing" mindset. It's a GOOD thing if we end up with talent on the 4th line. They don't don't have to rot with six mins TOI. They can play more if they're effective, and it also depends on how effective other lines are and if they should have their TOI reduced. Too many questions, even if nothing changes between now and October, to assume too much about where guys should play. Camp will make a lot of decisions.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Varone is an AHL/NHL tweener. Schaller needs more time to be a regular 4th liner.

Part of Larsson's appeal and value isn't just that he seems like he can handle a top 9 role, but that he is perfectly capable of excelling on the 4th line, unlike some other players who just can't play the two-way or physical game necessary. You might know who I'm thinking of....:sarcasm:

lol

Well, k, so put your assessments together then...

You're saying that a certain someone can't excel on the 4th, but the two guys you've flagged as not (yet or ever) being 4th line material were the same guys that certain someone was stuck playing with on the 3rd/4th. Sad way to give a guy an honest chance for tryout if his linemates aren't even up to the same snuff :p:

But more seriously, I'm down as agreeing that a certain someone is not 4th line material. He produced as you'd expect of an average/serviceable 3rd liner while playing mostly somewhere between the 3rd and 5th. At the very least that means a guy who cannot magically carry a line of scrubs as though they're all superstars. I'd suggest he wouldn't do more than average with better linemates either, seeing how that someone did have a long look as wing with better linemates (Stewart ugh, Stafford, Foligno), but then guys like Josh will flag that it's not as if those lineups had the benefit of a "puck possession center".... Lots of diff factors contributed.

Anyway, Larsson hasn't actually proven he can excel as a 4th liner either. He and Hodgson made the 4th look good for a few games, sure, but that was briefly with very limited minutes, before Girgensens went down, and Larsson up.

I don't personally see Larsson as a top 1c/2c on a genuine NHL roster for the long haul, but as a 3rd liner who could move up temporarily to cover injuries etc, sure. If there isn't a 3rd line spot for him though, I'd rather see him traded than stuck trying to carry a line of scrubs on the 4th.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
lol

Well, k, so put your assessments together then...

You're saying that a certain someone can't excel on the 4th, but the two guys you've flagged as not (yet or ever) being 4th line material were the same guys that certain someone was stuck playing with on the 3rd/4th. Sad way to give a guy an honest chance for tryout if his linemates aren't even up to the same snuff :p:

But more seriously, I'm down as agreeing that a certain someone is not 4th line material. He produced as you'd expect of an average/serviceable 3rd liner while playing mostly somewhere between the 3rd and 5th. At the very least that means a guy who cannot magically carry a line of scrubs as though they're all superstars. I'd suggest he wouldn't do more than average with better linemates either, seeing how that someone did have a long look as wing with better linemates (Stewart ugh, Stafford, Foligno), but then guys like Josh will flag that it's not as if those lineups had the benefit of a "puck possession center".... Lots of diff factors contributed.

Anyway, Larsson hasn't actually proven he can excel as a 4th liner either. He and Hodgson made the 4th look good for a few games, sure, but that was briefly with very limited minutes, before Girgensens went down, and Larsson up.

I don't personally see Larsson as a top 1c/2c on a genuine NHL roster for the long haul, but as a 3rd liner who could move up temporarily to cover injuries etc, sure. If there isn't a 3rd line spot for him though, I'd rather see him traded than stuck trying to carry a line of scrubs on the 4th.

Larsson looked fine on 3rd/4th line duty last season as well. My point about Larsson is more that part of his value is that he can move up & down the line up and contribute (he may not like it, but he's shown the ability).

Hodgson unfortunately can't. He's shown good offensive ability in the past, and I'm more than happy to write this season off as an anomaly, but he needs to wake up regardless of him being on the 2nd or 3rd line.

This team is terrible and needs all the depth it can get in the next couple years as the kids grow into their roles, so I wouldn't dump off any of the 3 big question marks for next year (Hodgson, Grigs or Larsson) since all you get is some draft picks or B prospects most likely.

I think Larsson for sure can play 3rd/4th line duty, Grigs can probably suffer a year in some 3rd line role since he's big and seems defensively aware enough though clearly not ideal. Hodgson is a giant question mark since his year was so terrible, he could be a 2nd line winger or a health scratch realistically...I have no idea which one will show up.

Murray has suggested he wants to roll 4 lines that all can contribute (who doesn't?), so as long as you can fill your role on whatever line and aren't a fish out of water, it's probably fine.

I think it's actually good that we're finally getting to the point where people can do lineups and go wait, where the hell does XXXXXX fit in?? I'm not too worried until after Free Agency, then we get to see what the team is going to start shaping into before camps.

I'm guessing one of the 3 above question marks is moved in one way or another, we shall see.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
There are reports that Boston may trade Lucic. What would you be willing to move for him?

For me, Lucic is on a very short list of players that includes Marchand, Rod Brind'Amour, Dion Phaneuf, and Sean Avery. Players that I'd never cheer for, no matter how well they played for the Sabres.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
Kane - McEichel - Ennis
Moulson - Grigorenko - Girgensons
Foligno - Reinhart - (F/A or Trade)
DesLauriers - Larsson - Gionta
McCormick
Hodgson

(F/A or Trade) - Bogosian
Zadorov - Ristolainen
McCabe - Pysyk
Georges
Weber
Ruhwedel

(F/A or Trade)
Lindback

Not sure of long term health of Pysyk so Ruhwedel might be slotted to replace Pysyk. Also don't know about Georges long term health.

I just don't see a place on the team for Hodgson. Grigorenko should be given every chance to prove himself. If he flops, try him on wing, if that doesn't work, then he's gone end of next year.

Hopefully we can get Sekera (if he wants to come back here), a good veteran right winger and a good young goalie like Gibson. I also liked Lindback and would bring him back.

I put Reinhart with Foligno to protect him from other teams trying to intimidate him. The same goes for Kane protecting McEichel.

I also wonder if we need more muscle in the lineup to protect our young studs. Maybe the 3rd line right winger should be somebody who can protect his teammates.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'd love to pluck someone good off the Bruins if they went full rebuild. What are the chances Chara becomes available?

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I'd love to pluck someone good off the Bruins if they went full rebuild. What are the chances Chara becomes available?

Slim chance. Either way, he's on the downslide portion of his career. By the time the Sabres are good, he will be skating at 10 Brad Brown speed.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
He's on the downslide portion of his career. By the time the Sabres are good, he will be skating at 10 Brad Brown speed.

Maybe so. What's he have left on his contract, 3 more years? I'd take on his contract for that time frame. Can't deny that he'd be a great guy to plug into our top-4, especially during a time when his contract won't be a hinderance.

But, that said, I wouldn't give up big assets for him. It'd have to be a case where the Bruins want to move him out while they can and before his contract becomes unmovable, and we're one of the only teams with the space to do it.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Not a whole lot. He makes wayyy to much with term.

I though he was UFA after next year. Still, 6m for what he brings makes extending him unappetizing.

Already have Kane & Moulson making 6 and unlikely to be moved for a few years. None of the 3 have experience playing RW, so 25% of the cap on 3 LW seems like a bad idea to me.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
With Hammond emerging in Ottawa I have a feeling we may be seeing Lehner in Buffalo next year.

That or a trade with the Hawks for Raanta would be a nice addition, maybe with a Patrick Sharp.

Absolutely zero interest in both Sharp AND Raanta.

Sharp's having one of the worst seasons of his career. He's also one of the least liked people on the Hawks. He and Keith in a fistfight in the locker room last august... A lot of unsavory rumors regarding that as well.. I'll leave it at that. Also he's overpaid.

Raanta shows flashes of great plays but is wildly inconsistent. A career backup if you ask me.

ROR would certainly be my #1 target. Then Gibson/Lehner. And maybe Mrazek?

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Kaleta or McCormick for 4th line wing spot?

I'm not penciling in McCormick or Pysyk in to anything until we hear more about their health, I wouldn't mind having PK around as a 13th or 14th forward, he did a better job of cleaning up his play. Just sign him to a 1 yr deal and revisit it again next year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm not penciling in McCormick or Pysyk in to anything until we hear more about their health, I wouldn't mind having PK around as a 13th or 14th forward, he did a better job of cleaning up his play. Just sign him to a 1 yr deal and revisit it again next year.

Plus with Patty you can send him to Rochester. He would be a great vet for down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad