Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not that it says much with this team, but Nick Deslaurier is the Sabres' 6th leading scorer.

This is his 2nd year at wing, and most games he's been a very effective forechecker, PK & energy guy. Most see his ceiling on the 4th line. Is there anything more there that is being masked by his late position switch, I wonder?

I know it's just the eye-test but to me he seems a bit like a Trevor Lewis type, a 3rd/4th line tweener (on a good team - on the 14-15 Sabres he can slot anywhere from line 2-4 really).

Thats what I see as well. Though my King's player analogy is Dwight King :laugh:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He's brent Burns lite IMO. Very very lite. Can slot anywhere in the bottom 6, can play D, is big and robust but he has skill. I've always liked him alot. Really happy with him this year.

He's surpassed Foligno IMO.

Is that the consensus opinion around here? I was wondering this exact question. They seem to be back-and-forth regarding who's considered the unofficial 3rd line LW. Has Deslaurier officially passed Foligno?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Is that the consensus opinion around here? I was wondering this exact question. They seem to be back-and-forth regarding who's considered the unofficial 3rd line LW. Has Deslaurier officially passed Foligno?

I mentioned that a couple weeks ago, I think he is more valuable then Foligno moving forward and currently the better player.

Both are the same age and were drafted 20 picks apart in 2009, Deslauriers has played forward for less then 100 professional games and is already the better player, has a higher motor, is consistently more physical and gets around the ice better. Deslauriers knows what he is, Foligno hasn't seemed to figure that out yet.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Anyone else notice that Deslauriers was listed at 230lbs when we traded for him and is now down to 209lbs. I just looked at some pictures and there is a pretty noticeable difference.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I mentioned that a couple weeks ago, I think he is more valuable then Foligno moving forward and currently the better player.

Both are the same age and were drafted 20 picks apart in 2009, Deslauriers has played forward for less then 100 professional games and is already the better player, has a higher motor, is consistently more physical and gets around the ice better. Deslauriers knows what he is, Foligno hasn't seemed to figure that out yet.
Yep. If he isn't getting the minutes or his line isn't putting on offensive pressure, you know that he will still make his mark by skating like a fiend, hitting everything that moves, and dropping the mitts when necessary. Put Foligno into the same circumstances and he can do those same things, sure, but not nearly as consistently as Des.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yep. If he isn't getting the minutes or his line isn't putting on offensive pressure, you know that he will still make his mark by skating like a fiend, hitting everything that moves, and dropping the mitts when necessary. Put Foligno into the same circumstances and he can do those same things, sure, but not nearly as consistently as Des.

To be fair on the physical side of things….

-They are the top two hitters among the forwards and are throwing hits at roughly the same pace.

3.43 hits a game for Foligno (79 hits in 23gms)
3.17 hits per game for Des (92 hits in 29gms)

- They've both been in two fights

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I like them both.

2 Physical wingers with moderate scoring ability best suited for 4th line but are both able to fill in all thru-out the line up when in game injuries occur without being an embarrassment. Both capable of of helping out on PK.

Both good fighters.

I go forward with both.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I'm starting to think that we already have the pieces in place for a very versatile 4th line for the future. We can fill the top 9 with the boatload of prospects we have, but guys like Flynn and Des have exceeded expectations now and have shown that they may have a niche here long-term. Add in guys like foligno, Schaller, etc, and you have a collection of guys that make good 4th liners and can play up in the lineup in a pinch.

It's exciting that we're building a deep lineup that's solid throughout

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm starting to think that we already have the pieces in place for a very versatile 4th line for the future. We can fill the top 9 with the boatload of prospects we have, but guys like Flynn and Des have exceeded expectations now and have shown that they may have a niche here long-term. Add in guys like foligno, Schaller, etc, and you have a collection of guys that make good 4th liners and can play up in the lineup in a pinch.

It's exciting that we're building a deep lineup that's solid throughout

It will be interesting to see how Murray goes about constructing the team. Especially in the bottom 6 ...

As far as the 4th line he could go in 2 opposite directions.

a 4th line consisting of players that can play respectable and regulate at the same time Des/Foligno/Lemiuex/Schaller/Kea/ or he could go more skilled Larsson/Flynn/Schaller/Bailey? Not sure how it would exactly work but he has many options.

Edit: .. Who knows...maybe Compher gets pushed to 4th line Center.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
To be fair on the physical side of things….

-They are the top two hitters among the forwards and are throwing hits at roughly the same pace.

3.43 hits a game for Foligno (79 hits in 23gms)
3.17 hits per game for Des (92 hits in 29gms)

- They've both been in two fights
Hmm, maybe it's just Des who looks more active? Maybe I'm getting influenced by expectation? Foligno throws more hits per game, Des throws more hits per minute of ice time. They've both stepped it up in h/m this year.

Their fights are more even than expected, too. One each after a big hit, one each following a faceoff. 13-7 since they first laced skates last season.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Deep breaths... Deep breaths...I thought it went without saying that we wouldn't make a Richards-type acquisition until the offseason. I guess I shouldn't have assumed :laugh:
Well, I kinda figure a Richards deal happens mid-season because he's depreciating so rapidly, and the Kings want to maximize flexibility for this daedline as well as the next few seasons.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Well, I kinda figure a Richards deal happens mid-season because he's depreciating so rapidly, and the Kings want to maximize flexibility for this daedline as well as the next few seasons.
You have to wonder what's going on there because many Kings fans say he's been their most consistent player this season but he gets called out by his coach often.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Sabres want a mid level prospect and AHL player for Stewart per Elliot Friedman.

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 2m2 minutes ago

Friedman: #Flames kicked the tires on Chris Stewart. On the backburner now for Calgary though. #Sabres

ZeroPT*

Sabres want a mid level prospect and AHL player for Stewart per Elliot Friedman.

That's good. Help for Roch (which shows Murray knows something needs to be done) and a prospect. Depends what they mean by "mid-level" is it a guy like Ruhwedel/Schaller or a Varone type?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Anyone else notice that Deslauriers was listed at 230lbs when we traded for him and is now down to 209lbs. I just looked at some pictures and there is a pretty noticeable difference.

Maybe joshjull got the crow to eat from there :)

That's good. Help for Roch (which shows Murray knows something needs to be done) and a prospect. Depends what they mean by "mid-level" is it a guy like Ruhwedel/Schaller or a Varone type?

Buffalo needs ELC Dnen next year. It's a major void. I think McCabe and Austin are the only ELCs on 25/16 team. He could convince Florentino to turn pro after college and give him a few NHL games this year thorn he plays in Rochester next year.

I see mid level as someone on SN ELC next year who may be a career AHL with a chance to get to the nhl. The other player is an unsigned prospect rom 2013 or 2014 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad