Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I'd like to hear an argument for Perry over Backstrom that doesn't cite a trophy and addresses what I posted tbh

ZeroPT*

50 goal scoring power wingers are probably the rarest type of player you can find. Backstrom is great but I take Perry.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
sooo what do we do now :laugh:

We list the wingers worth acquiring now :wbrew:

e: I put up a poll and am honestly shocked at the consensus

Yeah, I'm really surprised. It wasn't meant as a gotcha as much as it was to gauge the general consensus.

I feel like Backstrom is heavily underrated for his two-way play. He's also one of only 10 players in the league who have averaged ppg since he entered the league and that includes his pre-prime years, obv.

I understand why people like Perry but I hope they also recognize just how special Backstrom is.

If anything I've convinced myself the comparison was bad because Backstrom is even better than I first surmised :laugh:

Last edited:

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Im going to hypothetically think we get McEichel here. This model is down the line.

Girgensons-McEichel-XXXX
Ennis-Reinhart-XXXX
Foligno-Compher-Fasching
Deslauriers-McCormick-Kaleta
Zadorov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Myers
Gorges-Pysyk
XXXX
Neuvirth/Enroth

Now either put players like Armia, Girgorenko, Baptiste, Hodgson, Moulson, Gionta, Stafford?, other prospects and hope to god they pan out, or use those players plus our abundance of picks to acquire talent on the wings. We will have the defense and center depth of a contending team. The question is can we round it out with scoring wingers and a top 10 goalie.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
We list the wingers worth acquiring now :wbrew:

e: I put up a poll and am honestly shocked at the consensus

If anything I've convinced myself the comparison was bad because Backstrom is even better than I first surmised :laugh:

I like them both, but I think I have somehow created a world were Backstrom benefits hugely from Ovechkin, assists wise, played a majority of his career in the worst division in all of hockey. I have not and will not put in the effort to find out if that can somehow be quantified into showing that Perry is better with the goal scoring, physical presence.haha

I don't think he has ever been hurt enough to have a good sample size, but I wonder how their stats look without Getz and Ovy.

Second vague wandering, a world existed where Perry won the Hart, while playing with Getzlaf. It has yet to happen, so who knows, but I just can't imagine a season were Backstrom could win the Hart while playing with Ovechkin. Just my sense on why there would be a bigger gap between Ovy and Backstrom than Getz and Perry.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Murray has a man crush on Konecny (rightfully so) - and it'd be shocking if he didn't do everything in his power to move up and snag him. 2 late 1sts + Greg-o-Rinko/Hodgson.

Can't believe they have him at #30 here » http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-mcdavid-eichel-still-neck-and-neck-1.177115

Could you imagine getting a player like that at 30, or without having to move up/trade away any assets...

Two 1sts and Grigorenko is definitely too much. Hodgson? Sure.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
So people are ready to sacrifice a huge amount of assets to trade up to get a guy who looked good on a game, where the players played with unfamiliar linemates, without any structure or game-plan, and where the game is more like a (more physical) bond-ice game than an actual hockey game.

That's the best place for highly skilled players to shine, but you shouldn't make too strong conclusions from that.

And this is not against Konecny particularly.

Bps21*

You trade two 1s and grigorenko for proven nhl top 6 forward. Not prospect of the week.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
So people are ready to sacrifice a huge amount of assets to trade up to get a guy who looked good on a game, where the players played with unfamiliar linemates, without any structure or game-plan, and where the game is more like a (more physical) bond-ice game than an actual hockey game.

That's the best place for highly skilled players to shine, but you shouldn't make too strong conclusions from that.

And this is not against Konecny particularly.

I agree, but if he's consistently showing you elite skill and game-breaking ability, and you watch him against the top-tier talent of his peers, and he impresses, that one game may cement that thought and give you a sense of what he's worth. It should not be the end all be all of scouting, but it is a resource you can use to see how valuable a kid is.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Murray has a man crush on Konecny (rightfully so) - and it'd be shocking if he didn't do everything in his power to move up and snag him. 2 late 1sts + Greg-o-Rinko/Hodgson.

Can't believe they have him at #30 here » http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-mcdavid-eichel-still-neck-and-neck-1.177115

Could you imagine getting a player like that at 30, or without having to move up/trade away any assets...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=749385

CSS has him 26th among NA skaters. So, Button having him at 30 isn't completely out of line.

He is a guy that had a lot of pre-season hype, so it will be interesting to see where he looks to be sitting at the end of the season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=36183

He did test well on and off the ice this week.

SabresBills2012

Apr 27, 2012
Next years roster

I'm thinking more like this,this team is going to be much younger next year. Not sure how he's going to do it, but i have the faith in GMTM. If we have to give up Myers i believe that we should also be getting their 2015 1st., because of the him becoming a UFA after next season. Not sure on what we,d have to add but something else would have go back to the Avs.

Girgensons-McEichel-XXXX
Ennis-Reinhart-Moulson
Foligno-ROR-Fasching
Deslauriers-Gionta-XXXX

Zadorov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Myers
Gorges-Pysyk
XXXX

XXXX/XXXX

Just some food for thought!!

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'm thinking more like this,this team is going to be much younger next year. Not sure how he's going to do it, but i have the faith in GMTM. If we have to give up Myers i believe that we should also be getting their 2015 1st., because of the him becoming a UFA after next season. Not sure on what we,d have to add but something else would have go back to the Avs.

Girgensons-McEichel-XXXX
Ennis-Reinhart-Moulson
Foligno-ROR-Fasching
Deslauriers-Gionta-XXXX

Zadorov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Myers
Gorges-Pysyk
XXXX

XXXX/XXXX

Just some food for thought!!
If we get ROR he won't be our third line center behind two rookies, Fasching won't be on the team, and Gionta doesn't play center. If we did manage to get ROR without giving up anyone in the current ranks, I'd envision the team looking like:

Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
McEichel/Reinhart-ROR-Gionta
Foligno-Reinhart/McEichel-Grigorenko
Des-Larsson-Hodgson/Flynn

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
Hey sabres board, ottawa fan coming in peace.

I envisioned your top 9 center depth (assuming you draft in the top 2 this year) to be McEichel(1a), Reinhart(1b), Girgensons(3) for years to come.

Where does Grigorenko and Armia fit? It seems Grigorenko is excelling in the AHL this year for you guys, could he not be molded to a top 6 winger, or is that out of the question? Armia is playing really well too, do you guys not expect him to be a long term option for your top 6 RW?

ZeroPT*

I envisioned your top 9 center depth (assuming you draft in the top 2 this year) to be McEichel(1a), Reinhart(1b), Girgensons(3) for years to come.

Where does Grigorenko and Armia fit? It seems Grigorenko is excelling in the AHL this year for you guys, could he not be molded to a top 6 winger, or is that out of the question? Armia is playing really well too, do you guys not expect him to be a long term option for your top 6 RW?

Both on the wing. When I imagine Grigorenko on the wing I always seem to link him to Voracek. Big, strong, elite offensively, smart, not the fastest and perhaps not the best defensively. However, having him and McEichel as 2/3 top line is very appealing. Then I picture Armia and Reinhart with Ennis as a second line. Reinhart and Armia are very very smart two-way players and Ennis has the speed on that line. And if you want to go even further you have Girgensons with Fasching as your 3rd line. So:

XXXX-McEichel-Grigorenko
Ennis-Reinhart-Armia
XXXX-Girgensons-Fasching

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Armia might wind up being a pitch perfect fit next to Reinhart or McEichel while Grigo's future with Buffalo is likely on the wing (though he may wind up taking draws but playing wing, much like Steve Ott).

If they both develop properly, they're going to be fixtures in the top 6.

There's also a not-impossible scenario where our centers are McEichel, Grigorenko and Reinhart. Plug Girgensons next to Reinhart and that's one heckuva 2-way line that can go up against teams' best lines.

Right now, there's a LOT of flexibility within our ranks. It's going to take a bit of time to see how things ultimately flush out.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011

Grigorenko has played very in the AHL but and has made some serious sides in his defensive game. He still needs to be more consistent, and gain strength to be a difference maker at the NHL level. He is a natural center but has the versatility to play wing as well. Some see him as trade bait, others think he has a future on this team. Regardless, he is a valuable asset to us.
Armia is the same way. He has played very well in the AHL this year, and we have a bigger vacancy at RW right now than we do at center. Armia is a valuable asset to us as well, and I see him having a future top 6 role on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad