Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The Panthers broadcast team reported that during the 2nd (?) intermission, he didn't sit in the locker room with guys or talk to anyone, and was in the trainers room.

Wow. Thanks all. Sounds like he's not in a good spot.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
is this something you are going to repeat for 6 more months until it's wrong?

there is zero comparison that should be made to either of those contracts.

you absolutely can sign both of them to 4 million deals

I know I'm not going to be wrong.

He will ask fir fair compensation given what he thinks he can do if given a chance in the top 6 with PP time.

Do you think foligno is worth what he got paid for because grigirenko would easily produce more points than foligno if he was given the opportunity.

After adjusting for time on ice grigirenko would be close to foligno numbers in 12/13 and 13/14. Grigirenko has more offense potential thus likely getting more money based on him oriducing.

A low ball offer will either have him going to the KHL or getting signed to an offer sheet elsewhere at inly 2nd round compensation.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

He will ask fir fair compensation given what he thinks he can do if given a chance in the top 6 with PP time.

Do you think foligno is worth what he got paid for because grigirenko would easily produce more points than foligno if he was given the opportunity.

After adjusting for time on ice grigirenko would be close to foligno numbers in 12/13 and 13/14. Grigirenko has more offense potential thus likely getting more money based on him oriducing.

A low ball offer will either have him going to the KHL or getting signed to an offer sheet elsewhere at inly 2nd round compensation.

He hasn't produced even to Foligno at the NHL level(which isn't saying much)...and provides zero intangibles that Foligno does....there has been no mention of a KHL bolt other than you judging his last name...get over it, you've been refuted on several occasions...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Give one example of this ever happening (in Grigorenko's contract and production state)

Luke Adam actually had a brief level of success in the NHL, followed by an AHL season that was better than Grigorenko's

I guess his stupid agent didn't recommend the "ask for the kind of money you think you'd deserve if you were in the NHL and playing a top 6 role" during his RFA contract negotiation

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BNHarrington

Stewart on Nolan saying he's playing soft: "I don't think I'm a soft player. You can ask Prust, you can ask Lucic how soft I am." #Sabres

Let's just say Chris Stewart is a wee bit angry about being a scratch. #Sabres

@BuffaloSabres

Stewart: Obviously not happy to be scratched. Glad we won, got the 2 points. Now it's get ready for the next one. #Sabres

Nolan on Stewart: He should be angry. Anyone who gets a healthy scratch should be disappointed, want to get back in there. He'll rebound.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
@BNHarrington

Stewart on Nolan saying he's playing soft: "I don't think I'm a soft player. You can ask Prust, you can ask Lucic how soft I am." #Sabres

Agree with Stewart. He doesn't play a soft game.. even outside the fighting. But he doesn't play the game most think he should play bc of his size. He isn't down low banging in the paint for dirty goals. The guy is skilled...and has pretty good wheels and trys to utilize those attributes. Which he should ..but I think he needs to add the down low game too.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think the scratch will be good for him. Nolan knows how to press buttons... and Stewart is obviously angry.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Agree with Stewart. He doesn't play a soft game.. even outside the fighting. But he doesn't play the game most think he should play bc of his size. He isn't down low banging in the paint for dirty goals. The guy is skilled...and has pretty good wheels and trys to utilize those attributes. Which he should ..but I think he needs to add the down low game too.

Consistency. He does everything you want but not all the time or for a whole game.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He's being called soft because he won't do the hard work and play the hard game he is capable of. If he played that way on a consistent basis he could be a driver of possession for his line.

To further show what I mean compare Stewart to Girgs, a player Stewart outweighs by roughly 40lbs. Zemgus uses everything he has (Skill, speed and strength) to get the puck and then try to keep it once he does. He also goes to all the hard areas of the ice and works his ass off every night. Thats why he is a driver of possession. Stewart doesn't do these things and plays a soft perimeter game most nights. Its why he has never been a strong possession player his entire career. He has always relied on others to get him the puck and to create time and space for him. Its maddening because he can very easily do those things for himself and others.

I brought up the weight difference to bring home how effective Stewart could be if he actually used that size. If he went to the hard areas and played a hard game with that size he could dominate. He just doesn't do it and its been an issue with him his entire career. That Stewart thinks getting in a few fights proves he's not soft tells me he doesn't get it.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Consistency and hockey sense are his roadblocks.

Probably part and parcel. What's interesting about him and his iq is that sometimes he actually does make a smart play but its so infrequent that I look at it as a blind squirrel finding a nut at this point.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
A few more offseason musings:

Trade(s):

Hodgson (2 million retained 1st two seasons) to Nashville for 2016 2nd + Janrok
Oshie to Buffalo for St Louis's 1st + Carrier (basically sending back the futures we got from the Miller/Ott deal)
M Richards to Buffalo for Buffalo's 2nd round pick (no salary retained)

Reinhart starts year in AHL

Signings:

Oduya to a 3 year, 13.5 million deal
Enroth to a 2 year, 7 million deal

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Tyler Ennis ($4.600m) / Zemgus Girgensons ($0.894m) / T.J. Oshie ($4.175m)
Matt Moulson ($5.000m) / Mikhail Grigorenko ($1.000m) / Joel Armia ($0.894m)
Marcus Foligno ($1.875m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Brian Flynn ($0.715m)
Nicolas DesLauriers ($0.638m) / Johan Larsson ($0.851m) / Brian Gionta ($4.250m)
Cody McCormick ($1.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Nikita Zadorov ($0.894m) / Rasmus Ristolainen ($0.925m)
Johnny Oduya ($4.500m) / Mark Pysyk ($0.950m)
Mike Weber ($1.667m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jhonas Enroth ($3.500m)
Andrey Makarov ($0.581m)
BUYOUTS
Christian Ehrhoff ($0.000m)
Ville Leino ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,557,722; BONUSES: $2,525,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $14,442,278

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
He's being called soft because he won't do the hard work and play the hard game he is capable of. If he played that way on a consistent basis he could be a driver of possession for his line.

To further show what I mean compare Stewart to Girgs, a player Stewart outweighs by roughly 40lbs. Zemgus uses everything he has (Skill, speed and strength) to get the puck and then try to keep it once he does. He also goes to all the hard areas of the ice and works his ass off every night. Thats why he is a driver of possession. Stewart doesn't do these things and plays a soft perimeter game most nights. Its why he has never been a strong possession player his entire career. He has always relied on others to get him the puck and to create time and space for him. Its maddening because he can very easily do those things for himself and others.

I brought up the weight difference to bring home how effective Stewart could be if he actually used that size. If he went to the hard areas and played a hard game with that size he could dominate. He just doesn't do it and its been an issue with him his entire career. That Stewart thinks getting in a few fights proves he's not soft tells me he doesn't get it.

In a nutshell, this explains exactly why he's in Buffalo instead of St. Louis.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Frankly, I hope if we get back prospects, TM is looking for a defenseman with a solid upside (he usually does) and either finishing his junior career or looking at a 2nd AHL season, basically a guy who is a year or two away that solidify the ROC d corps.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Trade(s):

Oshie to Buffalo for St Louis's 1st + Carrier (basically sending back the futures we got from the Miller/Ott deal)

Signings:

Can't do that. Per Capgeek:

The retained percentage cannot be altered from year to year

Thus, the percentage of retention must remain constant for the life of the contract.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-retained-salary-transactions-work

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Trade(s):

Signings:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Tyler Ennis ($4.600m) / Zemgus Girgensons ($0.894m) / T.J. Oshie ($4.175m)
Matt Moulson ($5.000m) / Mikhail Grigorenko ($1.000m) / Joel Armia ($0.894m)
Marcus Foligno ($1.875m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Brian Flynn ($0.715m)
Nicolas DesLauriers ($0.638m) / Johan Larsson ($0.851m) / Brian Gionta ($4.250m)
Cody McCormick ($1.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Nikita Zadorov ($0.894m) / Rasmus Ristolainen ($0.925m)
Johnny Oduya ($4.500m) / Mark Pysyk ($0.950m)
Mike Weber ($1.667m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jhonas Enroth ($3.500m)
Andrey Makarov ($0.581m)
BUYOUTS
Christian Ehrhoff ($0.000m)
Ville Leino ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,557,722; BONUSES: $2,525,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $14,442,278

fine with most of it except 1. you traded for Calle but didnt get him on our roster? and 2. No way to I need 3 years of Oduya holding down Pysyk and McCabe...Gorges is gonna be a roadblock himself towards the end of his contract I dont need a meh Dman like Oduya also in the way.

Im all for Richards and Oshie though

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Mike Harrington says he wouldn't do Myers + Enroth for RNH + Draisaitl. This is a person on whom we depend for hockey information.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Value is there but would prefer Hall over RNH as the Nuge and Drais just bring more of the same to the pipeline. I envision Reinhart turning into a similar player to RNH, while Drais is very Grigsesque

Sure, I'd like that, too. I'd still do the mentioned trade if only because of the value that RNH and Draisaitl represent vis-a-vis the Myers/Enroth package--mostly because Enroth doesn't have much value.

Mike has also said tonight that trading Enroth and his .918 SV% would be the "shadiest, tankiest move ever," and TM would have to "answer to the local and national media" for such a move. Did Tim have to explain why he traded an impending UFA goaltender last year, who, by the way, had better numbers at the time of the trade.

Guy is a clown. I keep re-watching Idiocracy with the expectation that he's going to be playing himself as one of President Camacho's White House correspondents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad