Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm not saying i'm against upgrading the roster. It's just the following facts

-I think Grigo, Armia, and Larsson are all waiver eligible next season, so they will be up unless traded (correct me if I'm wrong)
-Reinhart will be up
-McEichel, if acquired will be on the big team
-Foligno, McCormick, and Hodgson are all under contract next season, as are 4 others

If we're making moves to upgrade the roster, you have to account for moving (roster) players out as well.

According to Capgeek...

Armia:
Joel Armia's waiver exemption of 4 year(s) and 160 games remains in place through to the end of the 2015-16 season. However, that exemption will end immediately when he appears in 160 career NHL regular season and playoff game(s). He has not yet appeared in any NHL games.

http://capgeek.com/waiver-calculator/?player_submit=1&player_id=2298

Thus, Armia is waiver exempt next season (pretty much no way he'll get 160 NHL games between now and the end of next regular season given that we're not making the playoffs this year).

Grigorenko:
Mikhail Grigorenko's waiver exemption of 3 year(s) and 147 games remains in place through to the end of the 2014-15 season. However, that exemption will end immediately when he appears in 147 career NHL regular season and playoff game(s). He has played in 43, meaning he is 104 away from his exemption ending.

http://capgeek.com/waiver-calculator/?player_submit=1&player_id=2336

Dotcomm can probably clarify whether he'd be waiver exempt next season. I don't know if his contract "slides" this year if he spends the entire year in the AHL.

Johan Larsson's waiver exemption of 4 year(s) and 143 games remains in place through to the end of the 2014-15 season. However, that exemption will end immediately when he appears in 143 career NHL regular season and playoff game(s). He has played in 33, meaning he is 110 away from his exemption ending.

Larsson will be eligible for waivers next year.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Dotcomm can probably clarify whether he'd be waiver exempt next season. I don't know if his contract "slides" this year if he spends the entire year in the AHL.

It does not slide. It can only slide at the beginning. Once it starts, it keeps going whether grigs plays in the NHL or not. So grigs will be in the NHL next year unless he passes through waivers.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I love these line ups with literally 4 rookies just among the forward group.

That'll really lead to good things for this team next year. :sarcasm:

Its probably not ideal, but go look at the penguins the first year they made the playoffs after drafting crosby. Most of their man-games were from first/second full-year players, mostly players they drafted.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So Armia, probably one of the big three down in Rochester playing the best, is the one who can spend another year there, great :laugh:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Grigorenko being waiver eligible next season makes me think Tim Murray will want to give him a good look in the NHL at some point this season, maybe even as the 2C after the TDL. I expect Armia to be here as well at some point.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Chris Stewart sounds every bit like the locker room ******* everyone wanted to pretend Leino was. They need to ditch him sooner rather than later.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Chris Stewart sounds every bit like the locker room ******* everyone wanted to pretend Leino was. They need to ditch him sooner rather than later.

A recent tweet (I forgot who it was from) suggests Murray is looking to move him soon.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Found out he was scratched, had the trainers take his gear to the locker room and wouldn't go in it.

Who is reporting this?

If true. Bye for a 7th rounder

Edit: never mind... saw GDT tweets.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Murray needs to get an AHL level replacement for whoever we call up when Stewart gets traded.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm not saying i'm against upgrading the roster. It's just the following facts

-I think Grigo, Armia, and Larsson are all waiver eligible next season, so they will be up unless traded (correct me if I'm wrong)
-Reinhart will be up
-McEichel, if acquired will be on the big team
-Foligno, McCormick, and Hodgson are all under contract next season, as are 4 others

If we're making moves to upgrade the roster, you have to account for moving (roster) players out as well.

Pysyk has to clear waivers in 15/16
Larsson has to clear waivers in 15/16
Grigorenko has to clear waivers in 15/16
Armia has 1 yr waiver exmption left in 15/16
Reinhart can go to Rochester in 14/16
Eichel (if drafted) can go to Rochester in 15/16

Buffalo doesnt have many waiver free pieces in 15/16.

They will have to signacquire 1-2 vets to help in getting to the cap floot.

I'm typically not one to put fantasy lineups together, but I'd try to do something like this if the Sabres drafted McDavid/Eichel...

Re-sign Torrey Mitchell to a short-term deal with a cap hit around $2.5 million (why not?).
Re-sign Strachan to a short-term deal with a cap hit around $1 million (why not?).
Re-sign Brian Flynn to a short-term deal with a cap hit around $2 million.
Re-sign Enroth and Neuvirth to short-term deals with matching cap hits around $4 million.
Trade for Mike Richards.
Sign/overpay for a veteran LD like Marc Staal.
Let Reinhart, Grigorenko and Armia duke it out for two roster spots.
Trade Hodgson. Let Stewart and Stafford walk.

That leaves your roster with a lot of youth (McDavid/Eichel, Armia, Grigorenko/Reinhart makes for three rookies on one roster...that's a lot). But it also has a heavy veteran presence (Richards, Moulson, Gionta, McCormick, Mitchell and Ennis all a ton of experience) and young players who have accrued experience or simply play a more mature game than their age would lead one to believe (Girgensons, Flynn).

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
FORWARDS
Jack Eichel ($3.875m) / Zemgus Girgensons ($0.894m) / Tyler Ennis ($4.600m)
Matt Moulson ($5.000m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Joel Armia ($0.894m)
Brian Flynn ($2.000m) / Mikhail Grigorenko ($1.775m) / Brian Gionta ($4.250m)
Cody McCormick ($1.500m) / Torrey Mitchell ($2.500m) / Marcus Foligno ($1.875m)
Nicolas DesLauriers ($0.638m)
DEFENSEMEN
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Nikita Zadorov ($0.894m) / Rasmus Ristolainen ($0.925m)
Marc Staal ($5.500m) / Mark Pysyk ($1.000m)
Mike Weber ($1.667m) / Tyson Strachan ($1.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Jhonas Enroth ($4.000m)
Michal Neuvirth ($4.000m)

there are a few issues here....

Grigorenko does not sign for less than what Foligno got. He isnt making less than Flynn.

You cant sign both goaltenders to $4M derals. You need to give some space to give the kids a chance to compete. Signing both says to Makarov/Ullmark/Lieuwen/Hackett that there is no shot of them earning a job with the club. I would sign only 1 to such a contract.

I want no part of Richards and that contract. Id rather keep Hodgson over Richards.

Pysyk will get more than just $1M for a 2nd contract.

You dont let Stewart and Stafford walk for nothing.

You cant count Eichels max salary. You need to assume he just makes the $925K max ELC amount + 10% signing bonus per year.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Stewart's nonsense lends more credence to the report of what he did during 2nd intermission in Florida the other night.

Grigorenko does not sign for less than what Foligno got. He isnt making less than Flynn.

If Grigorenko makes more than $1.875m next year, I will eat my shoe. My shoe. I will eat it.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Stewart's nonsense lends more credence to the report of what he did during 2nd intermission in Florida the other night.

If Grigorenko makes more than $1.875m next year, I will eat my shoe. My shoe. I will eat it.

Bruins fan coming in peace. Tons of talk about Stewart today -- and since the rumors have been him coming to Boston I figured I'd try to figure out what was going on with the scratch/shopping cart today.

What was the report about intermission during Florida game?

Thanks.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Bruins fan coming in peace. Tons of talk about Stewart today -- and since the rumors have been him coming to Boston I figured I'd try to figure out what was going on with the scratch/shopping cart today.

Thanks.

From GDT:

Just went back. Panthers "sideline reporter" reported that Stewart took off his gear in changing room and sat there shaking his head and refused to join team in locker room. Report happens at 6:12 remaining in 3rd.

I wouldn't want a guy like that on my team.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
... there are a few issues here....

The shoe-eating isn't happening, because there's no reason for Grigorenko to sign for more than Foligno, unless the Sabres decide to turn into an outright charity.

He has 3 options:
1) Sign a QO.
2) Hold out.
3) Sign a more-generous-than-a-Qualifying-offer from the Sabres. Does Buffalo have both rationale and motivation to extend such an offer??????

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Thanks.

The Panthers broadcast team reported that during the 2nd (?) intermission, he didn't sit in the locker room with guys or talk to anyone, and was in the trainers room.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

is this something you are going to repeat for 6 more months until it's wrong?

there is zero comparison that should be made to either of those contracts.

You cant sign both goaltenders to $4M derals. You need to give some space to give the kids a chance to compete. Signing both says to Makarov/Ullmark/Lieuwen/Hackett that there is no shot of them earning a job with the club. I would sign only 1 to such a contract.

you absolutely can sign both of them to 4 million deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad