Roster Speculation: 2014-2015 Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
The waiver situations were different.

Conacher was waived after he had played 60gms this season because he had fallen out of favor in Ottawa. He had 107 NHL games under his belt at the time, 72gms with Ottawa. Thats not to say he can't bounce back since he is only 24 years old. But he was waived for what he did, or in the Sens' view, didn't do in the NHL.

Whereas Pommer was waived before the season started because he couldn't make an incredibly deep roster out of camp. He also had no NHL experience prior to getting waived (1 NHL game prior to that).

see that wasnt hard

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
I feel silly even thinking about O'Reilly right now because club elected arbitration or not, players like him don't get traded very often.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If Ryan O'Reilly indeed is available, regardless of our position for 2015 you inquire. It's not often a player of that age and skill is available. We could probably give the pieces Colorado would want, our 2015 1st would of course be off the table.

Myers and the Isles 1st.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Ya I think Tim Murray would be smarter then that, I would guess he works some conditions into a trade so it could be either NYI or STL.

Smarter than that?

If ROR became available there would be a bidding war for him.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Many NHL clubs watching this intently as Ryan O'Reilly is popular trade target, especially if teams think he may not be long-term in COL.

We would not be in position to dictate conditions on a trade. We would have to outbid whomever else is bidding for him.

Last edited:

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Why again did Conacher get waived?

Conacher got waived because they needed to make room for Ales Hemsky and they needed to move $ in order to achieve that. Ottawa has an abundance of smaller forwards that are backed up in the AHL. Tim Murray is the guy that wanted Conacher in Ottawa. Murray likes the guy and there is certainly no risk in giving him more of an opportunity, I find the whole discussion rather bizarre to be honest. If he develops fine if he doesn't he's gone, what the big deal ? If Ottawa wasn't in such a financial mess Conacher would still be there. IMHO.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Smarter than that?

If ROR became available there would be a bidding war for him.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Many NHL clubs watching this intently as Ryan O'Reilly is popular trade target, especially if teams think he may not be long-term in COL.

We would not be in position to dictate conditions on a trade. We would have to outbid whomever else is bidding for him.

Correct, he would be smarter then to send the pick that drafted Jack Eichel to Colorado without conditions. Literally every big trade now has some conditions when moving a pick a year out.

We can debate this to death but there isn't any point, IMO Tim Murray would not move NYI pick without conditions involved. Maybe he doesn't get the player, who knows but I don't think he does it. That pick can be nearly as valuable as our own, unless we are buying into the islanders pointless end of season run.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Interesting that you missed this at the very beginning of the line-up:

It was illustrative, designed to illustrate my point about having a prospect pool similar to what Chicago ices now, and in-line with my model.

I was defending you.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
O'Reilly isnt going anywhere. Avs just had a fantastic season, they arent going to blow it up for future picks. Both Stastny and ROR will sign long term imo.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
If Reinhart goes 1 would you trade 2nd overall for ROR

All day . Every damn day.

Proven > potential.

IF, reinhart is gone, Ekblad could be a stud or a dud. Bennett will be a dud. My top two are Reinhart and Ekblad, if I can trade number 2 with nothing else for a proven stud pivot. ..I don't think twice.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
There was an unwritten rule among GMs not to claim young players who had to clear waivers t the start of 05/06.

I never heard this part of the Pommer story.

The part I know is: Florida GM Keenan was hesitant to claim him because he didn't want to ruin the relationship with the Sabres since they were sharing the Amerks with them.

He told Regier he'll pass on Pommer the 1st time, but not a 2nd time. All the other teams missed.
(Unless Keenan made up this story to cover up this unwritten rule you mention)

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
The O'Reilly situation is very interesting because you have to think he exemplifies the sort of player Tim Murray has alluded to with his "trade for young player who can help us immediately" comments in the past. And Buffalo has the assets to make an enticing offer, especially for the defensively starved Avs.

I'm picturing a developed Reinhart centering O'Reilly a few years down the road. I'm also picturing Jame jumping up and down with glee :laugh:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Three trades I'd make (outline form, would need +'s and -'s):

Pysyk, Armia, STL 2015 1st for O'Reilly. The situation in Colorado might be right to make this move. COL gets a top 4 RHD, potential to 6 RW, and a McDavid lotto ticket.

Ehrhoff (50% retained), Grigorenko, Enroth/Hackett to Carolina for Lindholm, Liles. Francis may be open to a trade that improves his blue line. The Canes don't buy into the Russian player myth, and need a younger goaltender.

Ennis to Nashville for Forsberg. The Preds need some offense, and Ennis could help.

Sign Callahan

Possible future lines:

O'Reilly - McDavid/Eichel - Hodgson
Top line. O'Reilly rides shotgun and provides defensive game to an offensive line.

Forsberg - Reinhart - Lindholm
Talented, 2-way possession line.

Larsson - Girgensons - Callahan
Another 2-way line that can be the Sabres' shutdown line.

Foligno - Kea - Deslauriers
Crash line.

Fasching, Compher, Carrier, etc in Rochester waiting.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
What would be intriguing would be if RoR simply opts for a 2 year deal in Arb and is a UFA in 2016. With McKinnon getting a huge raise off his ELC, O'Reilly would be a UFA at 25. Assuming next year is a bust again, 2015-2016 would be a year of improvement, 2016 Offseason would be the time for the team to be aggressive.

The Harbor center would be complete, if the Sabres could have an amazing collection of top end talent by then, and more cap space than you could shake a stick at. But, as for this summer? I just don't see many scenarios where O'reilly breaks lose. Maybe if Stantsy is re-upped long term they listen at the draft....

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Three trades I'd make (outline form, would need +'s and -'s):

Pysyk, Armia, STL 2015 1st for O'Reilly. The situation in Colorado might be right to make this move. COL gets a top 4 RHD, potential to 6 RW, and a McDavid lotto ticket.

Ehrhoff (50% retained), Grigorenko, Enroth/Hackett to Carolina for Lindholm, Liles. Francis may be open to a trade that improves his blue line. The Canes don't buy into the Russian player myth, and need a younger goaltender.

Ennis to Nashville for Forsberg. The Preds need some offense, and Ennis could help.

Sign Callahan

Possible future lines:

O'Reilly - McDavid/Eichel - Hodgson
Top line. O'Reilly rides shotgun and provides defensive game to an offensive line.

Forsberg - Reinhart - Lindholm
Talented, 2-way possession line.

Larsson - Girgensons - Callahan
Another 2-way line that can be the Sabres' shutdown line.

Foligno - Kea - Deslauriers
Crash line.

Fasching, Compher, Carrier, etc in Rochester waiting.

Colorado laughs at that. The price for O'Reilly would start with one of Risto/Zads/Girgs and builds from there. St Louis's 1st is not a 'lotto' ticket, unless there is a huge meltdown in St Louis.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
Colorado laughs at that. The price for O'Reilly would start with one of Risto/Zads/Girgs and builds from there. St Louis's 1st is not a 'lotto' ticket, unless there is a huge meltdown in St Louis.

It may not be up to snuff but I don't think it is laughable. That is actually 3 first round picks.
Colorado needs a top 4 D and at one point was interested in Ehrhoff. So here is my offer, Ehrhoff (@50%), choice of Armia/Grigorenko and St. louis 2015 1st for ROR

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

If O'Reilly gets an offer sheet, it's two firsts, right?

Is that offer really that off of what they could get?

Lotto ticket = informal reference to a first round pick. Not meant to be taken literally.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
This question doesn't belong here but why in the blue hell Buffalo bought out Gerbe last year? He's awesome. And did Jeanneret retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad