Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
For the record I'm cool with offersheets, I just think it's a rare case where you find one where the compensation makes sense for both the team and player while being too much for the original team to match.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
For the record I'm cool with offersheets, I just think it's a rare case where you find one where the compensation makes sense for both the team and player while being too much for the original team to match.

i agree its BEEN rare...

But the new structure of contracts and a cap crunch might make it more likely...

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
It's an interesting concept given our plethora of usable assets. It's just not a common route, almost an unspoken thing, and I don't anticipate that changing much all of a sudden.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
I wonder if Blues could match $6,5M - $7,5M for Tarasenko? That kid is a superstar in the making.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
It's an interesting concept given our plethora of usable assets. It's just not a common route, almost an unspoken thing, and I don't anticipate that changing much all of a sudden.
Yeah I really doubt it happens but it each year fewer and fewer players like the ones Murray wants to add are available.

I still maintain that if it wasn't 2015 this year RyJo would have easily been offersheeted.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Stafford to center. The 4th line grinder types divided up between three lines. I do like Girgensons with Moulson. The rest will be ... interesting.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yeah I really doubt it happens but it each year fewer and fewer players like the ones Murray wants to add are available.

I still maintain that if it wasn't 2015 this year RyJo would have easily been offersheeted.

agreed.

it's going to happen. the new contract structure is going to push top teams to cap constraints quicker. Chicago is the first to get a taste of it with Toews/Kane. Boston is going to feel it (Hamilton?). LA is going to have some decisions to make.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I wonder if Blues could match $6,5M - $7,5M for Tarasenko? That kid is a superstar in the making.
The only reason they would possibly decline is the perception that were handing them Austin Matthews.

Milk that.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I dont understand your point with the trades?

RFA Offersheet should be a legitimate tool for a team in our shoes:
- We are flush with prospect talent and 2015 pick (any offersheet would be for 2016 picks and beyond).
- We have plenty of cap space
- We are going to have a very young core, getting some talent that is a little further ahead is ideal
- With an offersheet you can target a very specific player, the type of player that rarely ends up on the trade/free agent market.

there is no reason to operate out of fear.

Its not fear its respect.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I've always thought this unwritten "no offer sheets" rule is total bullsh*t. It would make the league much more exciting from year-to-year; it would ensure that GMs are paying guys what they're worth on the market, and helps struggling teams recover faster. It rewards good cap management, which should be rewarded.

Not even just for the sake of the Sabres....who the hell wants to see a team be a perennial punching bag? I'd love for the Oilers to offersheet ROR and/or some other big names, for instance.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
so we should bypass opportunities to make our team better and reach our goals out of respect for our opponent?

That's just silly....

I'd rather be the one other teams are pissed at for poaching there star player, than be the team that is bitter that we got screwed, oh wait Thomas Vanek's contract says hi.

Screw the collusion/cap structure of the past. Toffoli should be a target, so should Tarasenko and I would love a shot at Brock Nelson.

Toffoli and Tarasenko are possible with the cap constraints, Brock Nelson possibly with the sale proceeding of the team. Not sure how much money and term Snow can offer considering the shadow of new ownership, but if you throw something like 6x6 for Nelson would they match that?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I still think it's ridiculous and far-fetched.

An executive needs to manage based on a level-headed and rational assessment of the needs of his organization. Allowing petty grievances and grudges to influence how you manage a multi-million dollar enterprise likely means you are not a very good executive.

I'm not really worried about it just passing on that its happened. Oddly you still seem in denial that it does.

My personal stance is I think offer sheets are a terrible way to acquire players from an assets management pov.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I'm not really worried about it just passing on that its happened. Oddly you still seem in denial that it does.

My personal stance is I think offer sheets are a terrible way to acquire players from an assets management pov.

Generally I would agree with you, but if you can pick up a guy that you are certain is an impact player, is that really a bad asset move vs hoping that some of your picks hit?

Say its Tyler Toffoli for 6.5 a year. You have to give up a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd.

Is it really likely that you are going to pick up a better player than Toffoli with any of those picks? Given the view that some people have that the Sabres will be a bottom 5 team again next year its possible the first player will become Toffoli, but not guaranteed. Its unlikely that the 2nd or the 3rd make the NHL at all let alone becomes impact players. Meanwhile at this point Toffoli is pretty proven as an effective NHL player. He has had success in the Playoffs and regular season. He's 22. Seems like a fair trade off to me.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I've always thought this unwritten "no offer sheets" rule is total bullsh*t. It would make the league much more exciting from year-to-year; it would ensure that GMs are paying guys what they're worth on the market, and helps struggling teams recover faster. It rewards good cap management, which should be rewarded.

Not even just for the sake of the Sabres....who the hell wants to see a team be a perennial punching bag? I'd love for the Oilers to offersheet ROR and/or some other big names, for instance.

What?

For starters offer sheets lead to massive overpayments of players not fair market value deals. Have you forgotten the ridiculous contracts Vanek and Penner got from the Oilers.

How does good cap management get rewarded by players getting overpayment contracts?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Generally I would agree with you, but if you can pick up a guy that you are certain is an impact player, is that really a bad asset move vs hoping that some of your picks hit?

Say its Tyler Toffoli for 6.5 a year. You have to give up a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd.

Is it really likely that you are going to pick up a better player than Toffoli with any of those picks? Given the view that some people have that the Sabres will be a bottom 5 team again next year its possible the first player will become Toffoli, but not guaranteed. Its unlikely that the 2nd or the 3rd make the NHL at all let alone becomes impact players. Meanwhile at this point Toffoli is pretty proven as an effective NHL player. He has had success in the Playoffs and regular season. He's 22. Seems like a fair trade off to me.

I'm actually amazed that I'm reading posters advocating we offer sheet a winger right now. Really? With all we went through with overpaying wingers in the past?

Its like Darcy is running the team again and fans are desperate to acquire talent anyway they can imagine. I'd rather see what what have or make a trade.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

$7M per, plus give away picks, for a winger !

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He also plays center, fits the type of game that Murray wants to play, and at this point is versatile enough to support our other young centers come up. Brock Nelson fits this mold as well. A natural center who also plays wing because of their current team depth. This move is predicated on getting McEichel. If we end up at 3 I wouldn't make this move.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Incredible isn't.

I'm a fan of Toffoli, just like most should be. But if we are dishing out the rarity that is an offer sheet, giving away as much as that picks-wise AND paying that much money yearly to sign him, the guy better be the most natural center ice CENTERMAN In the history of hockey. Because the offer sheet route is so Infrequently utilized, and comes at such a high cost, the target better be exactly what we need, which is a center.

getting toffoli in a different fashion would be fine :D

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Very nuanced points fellas

Like I said before... The concept is intriguing. We have assets to work it. It's not a well traveled method for building a team. But if we are going to delve into that stuff, I see no reason to do it for anything less than a true center, since we have such a tough time finding one as it currently stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig