Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@pham1717: Nolan defined what he means by maintenance day. He said that means a player is being checked out medically. McCormick is in that category.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
CENTER SWAP AT FRIDAY'S PRACTICE
Against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday, Zemgus Girgensons centered Marcus Foligno and Chris Stewart while rookie Sam Reinhart was with wings Cody Hodgson and Brian Gionta.

Friday morning at practice at First Niagara Center, Girgensons and Reinhart flipped spots, closer resembling lines that were assembled for much of training camp. Buffalo Sabres coach Ted Nolan figures putting Reinhart, the second-overall pick in 2014, with the bigger bodies like Foligno and Stewart will do him good for the team’s next game on Saturday in Chicago (8:30 p.m., MSG-B, Bell TV, WGR 550).

“Give the young kid a safety net around him with those two guys and get Gionta and Cody some speed in the middle,†Nolan said. “Girgensons was by far our best player last night.â€

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
"Conditioning sprint" in Rochester is still my favorite Nolan term.
He's almost as bad as Rob Ray sometimes. He did an interview earlier this week where he just used back to back cliches but they were horribly worded and wrong.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
He's almost as bad as Rob Ray sometimes. He did an interview earlier this week where he just used back to back cliches but they were horribly worded and wrong.

Mikhail, you're almost rdy for the NHL but not yet, so make like a tree and get outta here. You gotta walk before you crawl, and we need to see you run.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
guess Ill post this here....unsure if anyone posted this:

From Friedmans 30 thoughts column:

23. Another reason Buffalo went after Josh Gorges? He knows Tyler Myers very well. They’ve skated together in the summers for years. “I was finished (at WHL Kelowna) before he started, but (owner) Bruce Hamilton called me and said, ‘We’ve got a new defenceman here we’d like you to talk to,” Gorges said, adding he was told Myers had a chance to be special. They’ve kept in contact ever since.

24. Gorges’ advice to Myers? “Don’t think, just play. And, if you make a mistake, get to the bench and let it go.”

25. I’ve asked a few young players about the biggest adjustment to the NHL, and the answer is usually speed. Sam Reinhart, chose differently, picking strength. “I know a lot of moves players use, because I use a lot of them myself,” he said. But the power exhibited in them is, obviously, at a higher level.

26. Midway through last season, a really good scout said he thought Mikhail Grigorenko was dangerously crossing into “bust” territory. I kept it to myself; after all he was 19 and it’s too early for that. I followed up earlier this week and the same scout felt very differently. “He’s changed a lot of people’s opinions,” he said. If Reinhart doesn’t stick past nine games, does Grigorenko get the call to come back?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Good to know that "really good scouts" write off 19 year olds.

He had to change A LOT about himself and his game. Credit him for doing so, but it was very easy to doubt him. Had he not changed, he would've been a bust. I don't blame anyone having serious doubts about him.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
I hadn't really written off Grigorenko but it's easy to understand those who had. He hadn't shown that he was willing to change his game to succeed at the pro level. It's weird to say now but I think the Sabres gross mishandling of him actually served to motivate Mikhail to live up to his potential... which he might have lived up to anyway.

also while I've never been a Ted Nolan fan, I can't deny that he's able to light a fire under some players. It appears Nolan is a huge reason for the turnaround in Mikhail.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He had to change A LOT about himself and his game. Credit him for doing so, but it was very easy to doubt him. Had he not changed, he would've been a bust. I don't blame anyone having serious doubts about him.
I think that's nonsense personally. He was driven even before his "change". Alexander Semin hasn't even bothered to learn English, shows up to play every other game and I wouldn't consider him a bust. Guys with awful attitudes make it all of the time in this league and Grigs didn't exactly have an awful attitude to begin with. To determine he was on his way to busting at only 19 is absurd and that "good scout" can't be very good... or objective.

Fabi

Jul 8, 2013
After the first two games, i made a little wishlist, an hope GMTM (and coach Nolan) will read it:

x keep Ennis in the middle for the next years (as 2nd/3rd line center)
x extend Stafford (he and Ennis play really well together and will give us a real good 2nd/3rd line)
x trade Hodgson for something who can really help us on the wing (i miss Kassian!)
x made Pysyk healthyXD
x "The sabres select Jack Eichel"

Btw, tank mode is full on.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
After the first two games, i made a little wishlist, an hope GMTM (and coach Nolan) will read it:

x keep Ennis in the middle for the next years (as 2nd/3rd line center)
x extend Stafford (he and Ennis play really well together and will give us a real good 2nd/3rd line)
x trade Hodgson for something who can really help us on the wing (i miss Kassian!)
x made Pysyk healthyXD
x "The sabres select Jack Eichel"

Btw, tank mode is full on.

1. its possible---he could shift to wing. Someone will need to shift if Buffalo has McEichel, Reinhart, Grigorenko, Ennis, Girgensons, and a few other prospects/players

2. I can see them extending one of Stafford/Stewrt---not both. They need room for Armia on RW.

3. I can see Hodgson being dealt. He wasnt signed/acquired by TM.

4. Pysyk will be healthy eventually. Though I think they send him down to Rochester for him to build up his game play/conditioning

5. Mceichel would be nice

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
1. its possible---he could shift to wing. Someone will need to shift if Buffalo has McEichel, Reinhart, Grigorenko, Ennis, Girgensons, and a few other prospects/players

2. I can see them extending one of Stafford/Stewrt---not both. They need room for Armia on RW.

3. I can see Hodgson being dealt. He wasnt signed/acquired by TM.

4. Pysyk will be healthy eventually. Though I think they send him down to Rochester for him to build up his game play/conditioning

5. Mceichel would be nice

I got roasted for saying Hodgson is not a part of the future moving forward. Glad to see people coming around.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
2. I can see them extending one of Stafford/Stewart---not both. They need room for Armia on RW.

I don't like that it has to be one of them dropped. Gionta's play should put a target on his back. Obviously, two games into the season is too soon to be calling for anyone's head but I'm completely underwhelmed by on ice performance from Gionta so far. That's not to say he isn't trying or shooting enough but I had greater expectations for him when we signed him. I really hope he's bringing something big to the locker room but it's not translating to the ice, either individually or as the energized/"kuhmpeeting" team he was supposed to inspire.

Gionta and Mezaros have unquestionably been the most disappointing free agent signings this season for the Sabres. (Never really had big expectations for Benoit but he's definitely lived down to mine) Fingers crossed they all turn it around, otherwise it could be a long season - but a great silver lining. :naughty:

Looking to next season gives me hope to quell the current disappointments. Grigorenko should be a full-time NHLer if this preseason is any indication. Armia is poised for a make it or break it season, hopefully by the end of this year he'll have a better handle on the North American game. Combined with our 2015 prospect and a year's worth of maturation from our other name prospects (Girgensons, Ristolainen, etc.) I anticipate a team that surprises a few people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig