Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
We will see. This is starting to feel like the Bobby Ryan trade rumors. Like those, I'm not sure if it'll happen in a month, three months, six months, next summer, or after, but I think the rumors are taking on an air of inevitability.

Bobby Ryan was heading towards free agency and a contract Anaheim couldnt afford.

It's not the same scenario.

Murray is a new GM in the middle of a rebuild. He's made a lot of moves so far. Teams are calling. Those teams could be leaking info about what they are calling about. The most enticing asset in the pool is Tyler Myers a 25 yr old, Right handed defensemen, under market contract for the next 5 years.... every GM in the league wants to know if that player is available.

I believe Murray.
They call, he listens, and then he asks for what he believes would be a deal he couldnt refuse.

We aren't shopping Myers. We made a major offseason move to assist his development.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Bobby Ryan was heading towards free agency and a contract Anaheim couldnt afford.

Murray is a new GM in the middle of a rebuild. He's made a lot of moves so far. Teams are calling. Those teams could be leaking info about what they are calling about. The most enticing asset in the pool is Tyler Myers a 25 yr old, Right handed defensemen, under market contract for the next 5 years.... every GM in the league wants to know if that player is available.

I believe Murray.
They call, he listens, and then he asks for what he believes would be a deal he couldnt refuse.

We aren't shopping Myers. We made a major offseason move to assist his development.
Exactly.

I too believe Myers is not being shopped by Murray, but I also believe no one is calling BUF (now) to ask about anyone else.

Stafford and Carrier may get calls closer to the deadline.
Every GM knows Murray's hanging on to Risto, Zads, Reinhart, etc.
Hodgson and Ennis don't have half the value Myers does.

No one is asking for any other current roster player (maybe one of the UFA goalies if there are freak injuries to both goalies on a clear playoff-contender).

Myers is the only asset universally valued league-wide:
Calder winner, likely still has upside, but if not, great depth value.
Rare skating for his size.
Still young.
Good contract.
Right handed.

You guys are the poker players, but it's as if the younger guys (Samson, RR, NZ) are a same-suited Q,J,10. Myers is an off-suited King. Murray's hoping he draws his Ace at the 2015 draft. He can keep Myers, and try to win with a high straight, or deal him for what he hopes to complete as a flush, or a high flush, or a royal flush.

Murray has options. And they're all good ones. Hold, trade now, trade later.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I believe Murray.

Well said

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto

I believe Murray.

I think this is the biggest piece of info that people are skipping over

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I believe Murray.

To be fair, acquiring Gorges, but Murray's own admission, was more pure luck than any planning on TM's part.

They wanted to move him, he had a NTC and didn't want to go to Toronto. He expanded his list, Montreal offered him up, and TM said "why thank you"

So, to say that move was to "aid Myers development" is a bit inaccurate, it was a move to fill the void of LH D-men on our squad after the Ehrhoff buyout.

All that being said, I'd be surprised to see Myers move. I think Murray is probably having discussions about Myers, but I doubt he is initiating them. As it stands, no one on this squad off their ELC is untouchable. I think the "smoke" is probably teams smelling blood in the water with how bad the Sabres have played and trying to gauge if the asking price has dropped. It's a move that really doesn't make alot of sense given where the team is right now. Keeping Myers gives easier minutes to Ristoleinen and let's him grow into a top pairing role slowly. Trading Myers basically throws him into the fire headfirst.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
And there's a lot of smoke on this one. In the last four months, McKenzie, Dreger and Kypreos have all reported that Buffalo is at least listening on Myers--and, according to Bobby Mac, "willing" to trade Myers. I don't think he's a Sabre after the deadline, and I definitely wouldn't bet on him being a Sabre after the draft.

I dont know. As Murray has said numerous times. It would have to be an overpayment and he is getting a player he thinks Buffalo is lacking.

Holland ask for Myers, Murray correctly asked for Mantha... end of rumor.

You usually do a solid job of taking Murray at his word. Murray has said people call, he listens.

I dont think for a second that he's "shopping" Myers... especially given the Gorges acquisition.

I agree he isnt shopping---but he listens to people calling.

That being said, I don't want to get rid of Myers. Everyone has their opinion on his playing ability, but what posters can't deny is his size and speed. I want a HUGE and MOBILE defense that can transition the puck up the ice either with their speed or break out passes. Myers fits the bill. As does Zadorov and Risto. Pysyk is an amazing skater with good size, and McCabe has size as well. Trading Myers away certainly puts a damper on my hopes for this defense going forward.

Personally i dont want to see Myers traded now. I can see him being traded in a couple years when its time to resign tyhe kids.

I agree the scenarios are very different. Anaheim was up against the cap and didnt see how they could resign him. 2 yrs left is around the ideal time to trade a player.

Since he isnt under the gun to trade him because of a UFA year, Murray can wait to get what he wants.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
To be fair, acquiring Gorges, but Murray's own admission, was more pure luck than any planning on TM's part.

They wanted to move him, he had a NTC and didn't want to go to Toronto. He expanded his list, Montreal offered him up, and TM said "why thank you"

So, to say that move was to "aid Myers development" is a bit inaccurate, it was a move to fill the void of LH D-men on our squad after the Ehrhoff buyout.

All that being said, I'd be surprised to see Myers move. I think Murray is probably having discussions about Myers, but I doubt he is initiating them. As it stands, no one on this squad off their ELC is untouchable. I think the "smoke" is probably teams smelling blood in the water with how bad the Sabres have played and trying to gauge if the asking price has dropped. It's a move that really doesn't make alot of sense given where the team is right now. Keeping Myers gives easier minutes to Ristoleinen and let's him grow into a top pairing role slowly. Trading Myers basically throws him into the fire headfirst.

i dont think you framed something that's exclusive from or negates what I stated

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Myers has a modified NTC that kicks in next year, so that's also another reason for Murray to at least listen to offers before he's more limited in where he can move him then.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It amuses me when posters argue how overpaid and under achieving Myers has been. I reply that Myers is a great asset for this team and already a good defenseman. Then an endless cycle of bickering ensues.

He can be an underachiever--relative to the lofty expectations he set in his rookie season--and still be a great asset. He has great physical tools and has a sample size of some success. There are plenty of GM's who think he can thrive on their team. These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

When I read these rumors that Murray would want a crazy high return for Myers, and there's heavy interest in Myers I just laugh. Of course the demand for underachieving and overpaid defensemen prone to a wide variety of defensive mistakes is so high that teams would be willing to overpay for their services.

It only takes one team to think they can maximize Myers' great physical tools and make him an elite 1st pairing defenseman. Also, teams may be willing to pay a bit more given that the Sabres will have paid $23m of the $38.5m owed to Myers by season's end. In essence, an acquiring team will owe Myers $15.5m for four years. That could be a chip in Murray's arsenal.

Or perhaps Myers' trajectory is right on track to be a top pairing defenseman with a unique skill set and rare physical traits which is enticing to many GMs around the league. Posters rabble a lot of negativity about Myers, but the rumored demand speaks for itself.

Yet our Lord and Savior Tim Murray is "willing" to trade him according to Bob McKenzie. Presumably, Murray intends to be a playoff team by 2018-19, which is the final year of Myers' deal. If it's more comfortable for you to say "he's just listening," fine. But there's dialogue there. This is more than just listening.

I mean, do people honestly believe he's "listening" on Zemgus Girgensons and Sam Reinhart? Those conversations are over before they start.

I believe Murray.

We'll see. It'll be fun to watch you assert a deal along the lines of Jurco + Brendan Smith + pick is an "offer he couldn't refuse." I think Murray (a) recognizes there's a demand for Myers based on his tools and what other teams perceive he can be on their club; and (b) believes Myers' perceived value and expected return would be greater than what Myers can provide in the long run.

I don't think Murray is a huge fan of Tyler Myers. I think Murray is trading him before the 2015 Draft.

We will see who's right in the end.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Murray doesn't have loyalty to Myers

that said he's not going to sell until it's beneficial

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yet our Lord and Savior Tim Murray is "willing" to trade him according to Bob McKenzie. Presumably, Murray intends to be a playoff team by 2018-19, which is the final year of Myers' deal. If it's more comfortable for you to say "he's just listening," fine. But there's dialogue there. This is more than just listening.

you're doing an excellent job of hearing what you want to hear.

I mean, do people honestly believe he's "listening" on Zemgus Girgensons and Sam Reinhart? Those conversations are over before they start.

Stokes does.

We'll see. It'll be fun to watch you assert a deal along the lines of Jurco + Brendan Smith + pick is an "offer he couldn't refuse." I think Murray (a) recognizes there's a demand for Myers based on his tools and what other teams perceive he can be on their club; and (b) believes Myers' perceived value and expected return would be greater than what Myers can provide in the long run.

is the pick a 2015 1st? then it probably is... Jurco =/> Armia. Smith =>Pysyk. And a mid 2015 1st is like a top 10 pick.

Do you think an Armia, Pysyk, Top 10 pick package is an hefty price to pay?

I don't think Murray is a huge fan of Tyler Myers. I think Murray is trading him before the 2015 Draft.

I think Myers fits Murray's definition of defensemen he prefers to a T

We will see who's right in the end.

sure will

Bps21*

It's amazing to me that people on the main boards can still claim Myers is **** or Myers is always regressing...He plays 26 minutes a night...and those are the only minutes the other team isn't putting 5 or 6 pucks in the net. We know how bad this team is...Myers has started where he left off last year..playing great on the worst team ever put together

TheWook

Nov 4, 2012
Rochester
It's amazing to me that people on the main boards can still claim Myers is **** or Myers is always regressing...He plays 26 minutes a night...and those are the only minutes the other team isn't putting 5 or 6 pucks in the net. We know how bad this team is...Myers has started where he left off last year..playing great on the worst team ever put together

That's because they don't watch him play, and bandwagon popular hf boards opinion which is the opposite of reality.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

Of course they are going to say Myers sucks but, the second (if) Myers is traded to their team, they will be creaming in their pants.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@Hope_Smoke: McKenzie "On merit everyone said Grigorenko made team over Reinhart. The rules are the rules & Buf wanted to get a longer look at Reinhart"

@Hope_Smoke: McKenzie "[Buf] now won't be what the team looks like in a few weeks."

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@Hope_Smoke: McKenzie "On merit everyone said Grigorenko made team over Reinhart. The rules are the rules & Buf wanted to get a longer look at Reinhart"

@Hope_Smoke: McKenzie "[Buf] now won't be what the team looks like in a few weeks."

I wonder if this is referring to just Reinhart going back to juniors or if he expects a few other changes (ie Myers rumors)

One interesting aspect of Reinhart leaving, assuming he does. Who replaces him. Because right now it looks like Larsson has a pretty good shot with 4pts. But it's early

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie joins Dave Naylor and Tim Graham to talk about his new book and Buffalo and Carolina tanking: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/mckenzie-th...anes-that-s-where-they-deserve-to-be-1.106911

Tank talk starts at approximately 4:35 into the segment.

Bps21*

Anyone care to summarize?

He basically says tanking isn't a problem. Carolina has injuries and are where they belong because of it...and there isn't much you can do. Buffalo is in the middle of a rebuild, has a coach who is already pissed and certainly isn't wanting to tank...and how can you tell them they aren't allowed to take the rebuild path when Pitt and Chicago did it...said the trick is trying to flip it from being the worst to being great which is where Edmonton is stuck and the Islanders are still trying to figure it out.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I wonder if this is referring to just Reinhart going back to juniors or if he expects a few other changes (ie Myers rumors)

One interesting aspect of Reinhart leaving, assuming he does. Who replaces him. Because right now it looks like Larsson has a pretty good shot with 4pts. But it's early

Think those are old tweets from before the season started...right when Grigs was sent down.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
He basically says tanking isn't a problem. Carolina has injuries and are where they belong because of it...and there isn't much you can do. Buffalo is in the middle of a rebuild, has a coach who is already pissed and certainly isn't wanting to tank...and how can you tell them they aren't allowed to take the rebuild path when Pitt and Chicago did it...said the trick is trying to flip it from being the worst to being great which is where Edmonton is stuck and the Islanders are still trying to figure it out.
I know Bobby Mac is a consummate professional, but it's still nice to hear someone in the MSM not parrot their closest affiliated ownership group and make a stink about teams not trying to win games.

Also, if Brendan Smith is the placeholder coming back in a Myers deal, I'm breaking my keyboard over my knee. He's an atrocious defender who doesn't factor whatsoever into a Cup winning top 4.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+

Bob McKenzie, regarding Buffalo's process of accruing (assets):
"They're in a massive rebuild and that's what happens."
"(Grigorenko) earned the spot on the team, but the rules are the rules, and if they send (Reinhart) back to junior right away they don't get to call him back up. 'So let's have a look at him for nine games,' and that's what they're doing now, so what the lineup is today is not what it is next week."
"The Buffalo Sabres have to be allowed to, within reason, build their team and it doesn't happen overnight and it's a long, slow process and it's not necessarily the equivalent of tanking."

Think those are old tweets from before the season started...right when Grigs was sent down.
The "Grigs/Reinhart/lineup today is not what it will be" comments are from the linked radio interview, which was uploaded a couple hours ago. In context it was referring to Reinhart potentially being sent back to junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad