Speculation: Roster Speculation, 2014-2015 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
So long term (as in, after this upcoming season) I'd have to think it's either Ennis or Hodgson

We now have one LW spot locked in for the next 5 years in Moulson. He's here, he's not getting traded.

I'd have to think Foligno has one of the LW spots locked in as well.

So, that leaves 1 LW spot, and the #1C spot 'open' as Reinhart develops.

Neither Ennis or Hodgson are suited to be a checking line center or winger, that is pretty obvious. While this year, 1 will play #1 C and the other will play #1 LW, long term I think the youth will push one of them out.

We have a flood of LWers incoming

Larsson is probably NHL ready right now. Probably more of 3rd checking line, but has enough skills he could produce decently and be a Hecht -style defensive conscience for an offensive line. At them moment, he is probably Starts at a 13th forward with the Sabres or in the AHL.

DesLauriers is here as well on a one way contract and is a bit of a wild card. I think the Sabres are content if he develops into a 4th line energy guy who will throw the fists and needed and can take a regular shift. But, there is no saying he can't move into 'something more', as he grew in leaps and bounds last year after being moved to forward.

After that we have Compher, Lemieux, and Carrier who will all be pushing for NHl spots in 2-3 years.

All that being said, I think they are both safe....for now at least. Barring some trade from left field, they both should be here next year. But, I just don't think there is room for BOTH of them long term.

Unless you change the target. If Nolan rolls four lines, and doesn't play match ups (which he doesn't), then constructing four lines is possible with the talent on hand.

And not all the talent in the system is going to develop the way we think. Imagine if Foligno, Grigorenko, Armia, and Carrier don't develop the way we think. Then the team has enough talent to still construct a proper forward group, and still even roll lines. If the group I mentioned doesn't pan out and they get moved:

Moulson - McEichel - Hodgson
Ennis - Reinhart - Fasching
Larsson - Girgensons - Compher
Lemieux - Kea - Deslauriers

Though, inline with your post, I think Murray has a lot of opportunity for 2-for-1 prospect trades. Love to see him target Lazar, Lindholm, Forsberg in those types of trades.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Re:Hodgson

Don't trade him... Yet

Give Hume top minutes with talent, and let him produce... If our talent develops to replace him (grigo, armia, Hurley, Baptiste, fasching, cornel, compher, bailey, and on and on... Then we'll have a young 26ish year old 50+ scorer with term to auction

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Re:Hodgson

Don't trade him... Yet

Give Hume top minutes with talent, and let him produce... If our talent develops to replace him (grigo, armia, Hurley, Baptiste, fasching, cornel, compher, bailey, and on and on... Then we'll have a young 26ish year old 50+ scorer with term to auction

I am definitely not on the trade Hodgson idea. I think when he was traded four, folks saw some Chris Drury in him. Now looking at the roster, I think that is for Reinhart. I see Hodgson filling a Pominville type role for the team in the future. I'm not in any hurry to move him.

ZeroPT*

I am definitely not on the trade Hodgson idea. I think when he was traded four, folks saw some Chris Drury in him. Now looking at the roster, I think that is for Reinhart. I see Hodgson filling a Pominville type role for the team in the future. I'm not in any hurry to move him.

I agree with the Pominville comparison.

I do believe he will be dealt though, especially if TM can get guys he likes, even though the value may be a wee bit off to the naked eye (fasching deal,Neuvirth trade)

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Not sure if this is old news regarding Legwand.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/07/03...s?token=1dce38085df4fa6fada5daa02ed0ad61#Sens UPDATED: THURSDAY, JULY 03, 2014 05:51 PM EDT

I was reading the Ottawa boards yesterday.....I posted this in the Around the NHL thread.

Here is the latest from Cup 06......I don't even know who Cup 06 is or if they are legitimate.

''Sens waiting on Legwand. Thought they would hear his decision by now. Buffalo and Edmonton are believed to be the other teams in on him.

I expect there to be some movement on the trade front either tonight or tomorrow. I don't have specifics which usually means it's in its final stage. Could be two deals.''

ZeroPT*

no room for Legwand.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Hodgson-Reinhart-Stewart
Foligno-Girgs-Gionta
Des-McCormick-Kaleta
Flynn

Unless they give him short term, and send Reinhart down there's no room, or if they're moving either Stafford/Stewart and insulate Reinhart on the wing to start off..

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I agree about not signing Legwand....it's highly doubtful but maybe Hodgson and Stewart get moved in a package deal or just Hodgson. Rumors are what make this time of the year interesting. Its odd that both Ott and Legwand haven't been signed yet.

Kramdaman

Apr 22, 2014
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Moulson-Reinhart-Stewart
Hodgson-Girgensons-Gionta
Deslauriers-McCormick-Kaleta

Gorges-Myers
Meszaroz-Risto
Weber-Pysyk
Ruhwedel

Deal Stafford, Meszaroz, and Possibly Stewart at the deadline. Stafford goes wither way, but if Stewart plays well I'd consider signing him.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey 27s
McGuire: I talked to an NHL GM two days ago who had "significant interest" in Tyler Myers. Wasn't sure if #Sabres were asking right price.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I want the Sabres to ask a lot. I have no interest in moving him for anything but a return with the same potential.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey 27s
McGuire: I talked to an NHL GM two days ago who had "significant interest" in Tyler Myers. Wasn't sure if #Sabres were asking right price.
Further on this from McGuire:

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey 1m
McGuire on Tyler Myers: Depends what marketplace will bear, but I do think there's probably an interest in potentially moving him. #Sabres

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Further on this from McGuire:

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey 1m
McGuire on Tyler Myers: Depends what marketplace will bear, but I do think there's probably an interest in potentially moving him. #Sabres

Given Murray's comments about Myers it's not all that surprising if he's listening to offers. Also glad to hear he's got him priced a little higher than some gm's would like. I love everything about the way Murray is running this organization.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Given Murray's comments about Myers it's not all that surprising if he's listening to offers. Also glad to hear he's got him priced a little higher than some gm's would like. I love everything about the way Murray is running this organization.

Based on his comments, Murray is a pragmatist. Is myers a good young player? Sure. Has he proven he's a franchise building block and unmovable at any cost? No, not yet. He could be. But at this point there is alot of 'maybes' with him. In two years, if he's still at the same level, that contract would be hard to move.

I think, for anyone on the roster other than Reinhart, Girgensons, and Ristolainen, is available at the right price. Some might be movable, but the cost will be pretty prohibitive to most GMs.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Based on his comments, Murray is a pragmatist. Is myers a good young player? Sure. Has he proven he's a franchise building block and unmovable at any cost? No, not yet. He could be. But at this point there is alot of 'maybes' with him. In two years, if he's still at the same level, that contract would be hard to move.

I think, for anyone on the roster other than Reinhart, Girgensons, and Ristolainen, is available at the right price. Some might be movable, but the cost will be pretty prohibitive to most GMs.

No. It won't be. Myers is already a good top-4 defenseman. You can make an argument he is a top pairing defenseman. In 2 years, Myers will be 26, and in the prime of his career. He will have 2 or 3 years left on his contract at 5 million per season. Add to the fact that the cap is rising, and Myers contract wont be an issue at all.

Brooks freaking Orpik just signed a 5 year $5+ million per year contract, and he's a 33 year old declining defensive defenseman.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
In two years, if he's still at the same level, that contract would be hard to move.

There will be 3/16.5 left on Myers' deal in two years. In a world where a broken-down, 33-year-old Brooks Orpik gets 5/27.5 and Matt Niskanen 7/40, among other excessive deals, I find it hard to believe three years of a somewhat overpaid 26-year-old would be viewed as an albatross by every GM in the league (one of them just gave Benoit Pouliot 5/20, FFS; different position, but still).

Edit: ^Dubi beat me to it.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
A Myers package would hopefully include a service bottom-4 dman to plug in, a Highly-Touted prospect, and a 1st in 2015 from a team expected to be a lotto team.

In other words...not getting dealt.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
A Myers package would hopefully include a service bottom-4 dman to plug in, a Highly-Touted prospect, and a 1st in 2015 from a team expected to be a lotto team.

Exactly

He's also paid to be a #2 d-man..5.5 million cap hit is not for a #1...let's save that #1 spot for Ristolainen, he's more in the mold of becoming a #1/#2 d-man. Myers is excellent for not being the "#1 guy".

The package to acquire Myers will have to be huge, and it HAS to be a victory for buffalo. So in other words, no GM is going to risk giving up a 2015 1st round pick in the top 10, a highly touted prospect, plus another roster player defensemen for Tyler Myers. He's not gonna go anywhere unless it's for overpayment.

ZeroPT*

I just don't want to trade Myers. Unless a star forward prospect, a very good young D-man and a high 1st or a top 3 pick is all I would take.

Detroit have been interested, I'd take
Mantha+Sproul+1st
or
DeKeyser+Jurco+2nd

and those are cringe worthy for Detroit.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Wiercioch, Lazar, and 2015 1st from Ottawa?

I'm in the same "wait and see" boat on Myers development that I'm in with Hodgson.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
I do that deal instantly.

Unfortunately, Ottawa fans everywhere tell me to ef off.

So does Bryan Murray. The Sens just went without a top 10 pick this year because of a bad trade. They'd risk losing another one (in the McDavid draft, no less), not to mention a stud prospect in Lazar and a decent young player in Wiercioch? No chance.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Ott not being signed yet is either because teams (like Buffalo) need to trade a player to fit him on the roster or because teams (Philadelphia) need to trade a player to free up the cap space. I find it very weird that Steve Ott of all players wasn't signed the first day. Makes me wonder if he has a verbal agreement with a team that is trying to find a way to get him on their roster. The Flyers need to move Vinny, Boston needs to move Boychuk/McQuaid, Pittsburgh needs to move Scuderi and Chicago needs to move anyone. After that I imagine activity picks back up and I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Murray is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad