Speculation: Roster Speculation, 2014-2015 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
This is a bad; though not last place team :cry:

Yes it is. This team finished 14 pts behind the 29th place team with Miller stealing them points during his time here. They still won't be a good possession team. They could potentially be a disaster in net with question marks in Enroth and Neuvirth. Tons of shots against and not a high SV% is likely a recipe for disaster. Throw in a slightly improved but well below-average scoring team, and this will be a last-place team.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Needed a day to process and digest our additions. I like the flexibility we have gained. Nolan will be able to mix and match and I'm not saying this team will be better, but we definitely have more options.

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Moulson-Girgensons-Gionta
Stewart-Reinhart-Hodgson
Deslauriers-Larsson-Kaleta
McCormick (Mitchell and Flynn waived or buried)

Gorges-Myers
Meszaros-Ristolainen
Zadorov-Pysyk
Weber

Neuvirth
Enroth

This is a bad; though not last place team :cry:

Sabres Tank model #2014-15 Owner's manual:

Specifications:
170 GF,
260 GA,
-90 goal differential.
Starting 2 true rookies on defense.
Worse goaltending by 0.01 sv % * 30 shots/game * 82 games = ~25GA vs. 2013-14 model.

Definitely bottom-three in NHL.
Really good chance for last overall.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Needed a day to process and digest our additions. I like the flexibility we have gained. Nolan will be able to mix and match and I'm not saying this team will be better, but we definitely have more options.

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Moulson-Girgensons-Gionta
Stewart-Reinhart-Hodgson
Deslauriers-Larsson-Kaleta
McCormick (Mitchell and Flynn waived or buried)

Gorges-Myers
Meszaros-Ristolainen
Zadorov-Pysyk
Weber

Neuvirth
Enroth
I don't think they should rush Zads into it, If Armia and Grig get another year off he should too, no doubt he's too good for the OHL level though. I think that Foligno will be bottom 6 and start getting used to that role. Foligno-Girgensons-Stewart seems lke the 3rd line too me

Moulson-Ennis-Staff
Coho-Rinehart-Gionta
Foligno-Girgs-Stew
Des-Larrsson-Mitchell/McCormick would be mine

Idk what they're gonna do with the 4th line.

ZeroPT*

Yes it is. This team finished 14 pts behind the 29th place team with Miller stealing them points during his time here. They still won't be a good possession team. They could potentially be a disaster in net with question marks in Enroth and Neuvirth. Tons of shots against and not a high SV% is likely a recipe for disaster. Throw in a slightly improved but well below-average scoring team, and this will be a last-place team.

zing!

No team comes close to being this bad.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
zing!

No team comes close to being this bad.
Burke_zps17db61bb.jpg

Calgary is nipping at our heels.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
doubt it tbh.

Hiller can steal some games and their actual team is pretty good, well bad but not on our level of bad

They'll be better. I think losing Cammy hurts, but I think they will get one of the castoffs from the Hawks/Flyers cap situation and improvement from their youth.

ZeroPT*

They'll be better. I think losing Cammy hurts, but I think they will get one of the castoffs from the Hawks/Flyers cap situation and improvement from their youth.

They still have a very good blue line too.
Giordano
Russel
Brodie

These guys have all improved to the point where they are regular top 4 D-men. And Gio,Brodie are likely top pairing guys.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I don't think they should rush Zads into it, If Armia and Grig get another year off he should too, no doubt he's too good for the OHL level though. I think that Foligno will be bottom 6 and start getting used to that role. Foligno-Girgensons-Stewart seems lke the 3rd line too me

Moulson-Ennis-Staff
Coho-Rinehart-Gionta
Foligno-Girgs-Stew
Des-Larrsson-Mitchell/McCormick would be mine

Idk what they're gonna do with the 4th line.

I feel like if Zadorov has a good camp and preseason, he'll play. I've always been on board with slow cooking our prospects, but Zadorov honestly looked pretty good in his short stint last year. He's already got NHL size and strength, so I believe a spot is his to lose starting the season.

It's not about delegating further development to your young players because they're young. I agree that Grigorenko and Armia spend more time in the AHL simply because they're not ready. I believe Risto and Zad are both ready.

EDIT: and maybe it's just me but I don't think we'll be that terrible this year...complete opposite of what I want to happen, but that core of forwards doesn't look that terrible to me on paper. Certainly more goals than last year. Questionable goaltending and inconsistent defensive play should do us in.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Maybe I'm a little too optimistic, but theirs just too many variables that haven't been decided to write this 14/15 Sabres team off just yet. The problem with our goaltender situation is that it's unproven, not necessarily "bad". We have young defensemen, unproven, what if they make a habit of getting the puck out of their end on that first pass, taking the pressure off the goalies? If the goalies are only seeing 25 shots a night, that's going to translate into more wins at some point. And what if this crop of free agents they just brought in are just ticked off enough that everyone has written them off as "has-beens", that they put up a 30 spot in goals just to prove them wrong?

I don't know, just too many questions out there for me, and I'm not even sure that our GM is done yet. We still have roughly 18 million he could go spend by taking on salary from other teams, that's going to translate into goals in some way.

I'm not predicting we make the playoffs (ala that idiot PM said yesterday), but I'm not so sure were destined to finish at 30th either.

LVSabresFan

Jan 27, 2014
Would still love a Hodgson trade if possible. Think it would really solidify 30th.

I believe Murray is smart enough to not screw up the tank. If the Sabres get to Dec/Jan time frame and there is any chance of not finishing in last place, he'll start to trade players for draft picks. Stafford and Stewart are the first two since their contracts are up at the end of the season. If that doesn't work or the offers are too good to pass on, Myers and Hodgson go. Ennis may be on his way out this off season. I think Murray knows that finishing last and picking 1st or 2nd dramatically improves the chances of the rebuild succeeding.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So long term (as in, after this upcoming season) I'd have to think it's either Ennis or Hodgson

We now have one LW spot locked in for the next 5 years in Moulson. He's here, he's not getting traded.

I'd have to think Foligno has one of the LW spots locked in as well.

So, that leaves 1 LW spot, and the #1C spot 'open' as Reinhart develops.

Neither Ennis or Hodgson are suited to be a checking line center or winger, that is pretty obvious. While this year, 1 will play #1 C and the other will play #1 LW, long term I think the youth will push one of them out.

We have a flood of LWers incoming

Larsson is probably NHL ready right now. Probably more of 3rd checking line, but has enough skills he could produce decently and be a Hecht -style defensive conscience for an offensive line. At them moment, he is probably Starts at a 13th forward with the Sabres or in the AHL.

DesLauriers is here as well on a one way contract and is a bit of a wild card. I think the Sabres are content if he develops into a 4th line energy guy who will throw the fists and needed and can take a regular shift. But, there is no saying he can't move into 'something more', as he grew in leaps and bounds last year after being moved to forward.

After that we have Compher, Lemieux, and Carrier who will all be pushing for NHl spots in 2-3 years.

All that being said, I think they are both safe....for now at least. Barring some trade from left field, they both should be here next year. But, I just don't think there is room for BOTH of them long term.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Not seeing enough talk about bringing back:
zMCAI.gif

He was released by his KHL team yesterday after it went bankrupt and is now a free agent.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So long term (as in, after this upcoming season) I'd have to think it's either Ennis or Hodgson

We now have one LW spot locked in for the next 5 years in Moulson. He's here, he's not getting traded.

I'd have to think Foligno has one of the LW spots locked in as well.

So, that leaves 1 LW spot, and the #1C spot 'open' as Reinhart develops.

Neither Ennis or Hodgson are suited to be a checking line center or winger, that is pretty obvious. While this year, 1 will play #1 C and the other will play #1 LW, long term I think the youth will push one of them out.

We have a flood of LWers incoming

Larsson is probably NHL ready right now. Probably more of 3rd checking line, but has enough skills he could produce decently and be a Hecht -style defensive conscience for an offensive line. At them moment, he is probably Starts at a 13th forward with the Sabres or in the AHL.

DesLauriers is here as well on a one way contract and is a bit of a wild card. I think the Sabres are content if he develops into a 4th line energy guy who will throw the fists and needed and can take a regular shift. But, there is no saying he can't move into 'something more', as he grew in leaps and bounds last year after being moved to forward.

After that we have Compher, Lemieux, and Carrier who will all be pushing for NHl spots in 2-3 years.

All that being said, I think they are both safe....for now at least. Barring some trade from left field, they both should be here next year. But, I just don't think there is room for BOTH of them long term.
In 2015-2016 we're going to need scoring line wingers. I don't see any reason why Ennis AND Hodgson can't both be wingers in our top 6. Throw in Moulson and then one of Gionta, Foligno, Grigorenko, Armia, etc and you've got a pretty solid top 6. Then I'd imagine are 3rd line holding Larson, Girgensons, and maybe Gionta or Foligno.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I believe Murray is smart enough to not screw up the tank. If the Sabres get to Dec/Jan time frame and there is any chance of not finishing in last place, he'll start to trade players for draft picks. Stafford and Stewart are the first two since their contracts are up at the end of the season. If that doesn't work or the offers are too good to pass on, Myers and Hodgson go. Ennis may be on his way out this off season. I think Murray knows that finishing last and picking 1st or 2nd dramatically improves the chances of the rebuild succeeding.

Hopefully that's the case.

If Ottawa can't get a replacement for Spezza though, now's a good time to see what Hodgson would fetch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad