Speculation: Roster Speculation, 2014-2015 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I do that deal instantly.

Unfortunately, Ottawa fans everywhere tell me to ef off.

Of course you do that deal, it's highway robbery.

Very likely top-10 pick in a stupid talent heavy draft at the top.
A 1st round pick whose done nothing but progress since his draft.
and a 2nd round pick who hasn't fully found his game yet.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
So does Bryan Murray. The Sens just went without a top 10 pick this year because of a bad trade. They'd risk losing another one (in the McDavid draft, no less), not to mention a stud prospect in Lazar and a decent young player in Wiercioch? No chance.
This is another reason that the market is likely held up. Everyone knows Ottawa is going to do something but every GM is just going to ask for their 2015 1st or Lazar in any deal and both of those pieces *should* be untouchable.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Listening to Murray's blunt remarks on Myers I don't think he sees him as an elite dman or a player he will refuse to trade . Not that he doesn't value him highly in trade talk but if a team offers a fair and solid offer I don't see Murray hesitating to move Myers. If we can get a 1st+top prospect or a 21-26 year old 55-60 point forward I take the deal and run. Mantha+1st would be an amazing return if not a slight overpayment by Detroit .

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
This is another reason that the market is likely held up. Everyone knows Ottawa is going to do something but every GM is just going to ask for their 2015 1st or Lazar in any deal and both of those pieces *should* be untouchable.

Ottawa is going to do something stupid. They need to enter into another quick rebuild. They're going to end up getting peanuts or nothing at all for Ryan.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Ottawa is going to do something stupid. They need to enter into another quick rebuild. They're going to end up getting peanuts or nothing at all for Ryan.
Their plan was to be coming out of the rebuild this year. Craig Anderson and Karlsson playing out of their minds ruined that for them and Bryan Murray was too stupid to see that. If they just stuck to their gameplan they would have been set up rather nicely for this season. At least Tim admitted he knows how to handle the winning too many games situation if it happens. :laugh:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Listening to Murray's blunt remarks on Myers I don't think he sees him as an elite dman or a player he will refuse to trade . Not that he doesn't value him highly in trade talk but if a team offers a fair and solid offer I don't see Murray hesitating to move Myers. If we can get a 1st+top prospect or a 21-26 year old 55-60 point forward I take the deal and run. Mantha+1st would be an amazing return if not a slight overpayment by Detroit .

After listening to Murray you pretty much word for word quoted him, gj.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I thought on 7/1, even though he wasn't signed then, that BUF would remain interested in Steve Ott. Guy can play all 3 forward spots on all 4 lines on the '14-15 Sabres.

The "there's no room for him" argument isn't considering injuries.
Even though many of the lineups in this thread have 0-2 waiver-eligible players (outside of Reinhart), there's still the option of moving someone in a trade.

We'll see what happens.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I thought on 7/1, even though he wasn't signed then, that BUF would remain interested in Steve Ott. Guy can play all 3 forward spots on all 4 lines on the '14-15 Sabres.

Even though many of the lineups in this thread have 0-2 waiver-eligible players (outside of Reinhart), there's still the option of moving someone in a trade.

We'll see what happens.

They can easily sgn hm and have the room. They can trade/buy out/bury Mitchell if they wanted to?

I think another trade may happen.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I like the Hodgson trade talk. Partly because I've never liked him as a player and partly because it makes the reaction from this messageboard on the day he was acquired even funnier.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I think Hodgson gets moved next season to be honest..preferably this season while his value is still high...being on a crappy team for long and his deflated numbers could mess up some of his value. I'd love to send him with a draft pick to get a sniper winger that's well into his development and ready for the NHL

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think Hodgson gets moved next season to be honest..preferably this season while his value is still high...being on a crappy team for long and his deflated numbers could mess up some of his value. I'd love to send him with a draft pick to get a sniper winger that's well into his development and ready for the NHL

I agree there is a better chance of him getting moved after next season in the summer 2015 after knowing what Renhart, grigorenko, Armia, and a few others are and if buffalo is picking top 3.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
They can easily sgn hm and have the room. They can trade/buy out/bury Mitchell if they wanted to?

I think another trade may happen.

Buffalo can't buy out anyone unless someone elects for arbitration. That said, Mitchell's AAV isn't high enough to be eligible for a buy-out outside of the regular period. He would need to have an AAV of at least $2.75M, he's not eligible.

Karate Johnson*

I feel like there is gonna be a move made today.... Something in the air.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville

We'll see what happens.

Not that we are team that wants to win a lot late game draws but it would be nice to have someone who could. I think Coho might be our best/most establish faceoff man.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I am in no hurry to move either Myers or Hodgson unless it is for a large over payment from another team.

Same here. There's no reason to rush into anything right now. No one has any idea how Grigorenko, Armia, or any other forward in the system is going to pan out - no reason to move Hodgson. And even if the do pan out, there's nothing wrong with scoring depth.

I'm two years from deciding for myself on Myers. I'd rather wait and see with him, chancing a low future trade return if he doesn't develop, than trading him and watching him develop somewhere else. There's a reason Murray is fielding calls for Myers.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Not that we are team that wants to win a lot late game draws but it would be nice to have someone who could. I think Coho might be our best/most establish faceoff man.

Grigorenko is, but he's not permanently up with the NHL club yet :/

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Kea might develop into that, we'll see.

But Grigorenko right now is probably the BEST faceoff guy in the organization right now. IIRC, Cassidy was putting him out there for most of the important offensive zone faceoffs during the playoffs....

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Same here. There's no reason to rush into anything right now. No one has any idea how Grigorenko, Armia, or any other forward in the system is going to pan out - no reason to move Hodgson. And even if the do pan out, there's nothing wrong with scoring depth.

I'm two years from deciding for myself on Myers. I'd rather wait and see with him, chancing a low future trade return if he doesn't develop, than trading him and watching him develop somewhere else. There's a reason Murray is fielding calls for Myers.
Me three. Barring an overpayment as you guys mentioned, and a significant overpayment if it's from Detroit or another division rival. Seeing Myers develop into a stud Dman and having to face him a half dozen times a year or so is a potential outcome worthy of a steep return IMO. And let's see what Hodgson can do as we start to develop a bit more offensive punch in the coming couple of years...again barring a "too good to pass up" offer.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Well said.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Its amazing to keep reading all these speculative comments about Murray looking to move any of Myers, Hodgson, Ennis or Foligno. He has repeatedly made it pretty clear he isn't looking to trade any of them and expects them all to be on the team.

Murray said he gets a lot calls on them because they are good young players. He will listen to offers because, to use his words, those GMs might do something crazy (as in massively overpay). He also mentioned that any speculation about them in a trade isn't coming from his end and that he doesn't call anyone looking to move those guys.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Its amazing to keep reading all these speculative comments about Murray looking to move any of Myers, Hodgson, Ennis or Foligno. He has repeatedly made it pretty clear he isn't looking to trade any of them and expects then all to be on the team.

Murray said he gets a lot calls on them because they are good young players. He will listen to offers because, to use his words, those GMs might do something crazy (as in massively overpay). He also mentioned that any speculation about them in a trade isn't coming from his end and that he doesn't call anyone looking to move those guys.

Agree. Talk about moving the younger Sabres isn't coming from Buffalo. But moving them is still getting talked about as if it's coming.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Its amazing to keep reading all these speculative comments about Murray looking to move any of Myers, Hodgson, Ennis or Foligno. He has repeatedly made it pretty clear he isn't looking to trade any of them and expects them all to be on the team.

Nobody should think he's shopping them but if he's talking to a team like Ottawa then Hodgson makes the most sense for what they would want. If we're under the assumption that any trade is also a way to open up a spot for Ott then I'm not sure trading Stafford or Stewart really accomplish that since they're gone anyways. I can't see Ott signing for less than 4 years and that starts to create a log jam of too many guys signed long term on a bad team which creates unappealing situations (Calgary). If you look at the landscape of our contracts it's also specifically against what Murray is trying to do. Hodgson, Moulson, Ennis (when signed), and presumably Ott would all be locked up for over 4 years. You also have to look at how many GMs have come out and said they want a young player on a long term deal. Bryan Murray said just last week they're working out a trade for such a player.

That's just my belief. Tim Murray isn't shopping Hodgson but he would be the 2nd most appealing player on the team after Myers that Murray would move for an overpayment.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I have to say I am pretty happy to see Matt Moulson back in the mix. I like the way he plays, just shows up and does his job and is a no maintenance player. Most importantly he wants to be here, very pleased to have him back and think he will be a good veteran presence for our young centers. Have to think he instantly becomes an assistant captain. In a short period of time I felt he embraced being a Sabre more then longtime players, something that goes a long way in team building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad