Roster Speculation 2013-2014 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That's debatable. Miller and a piece like Hodgson/Ennis/Risto? Sure. Fringe prospects like Adam or McNabb? Not a chance.

McNabb is not a fringe prospect.

Adam is closer to being a fringe prospect.
A team desperate enough who wants to win now would do it.

Actually if Buffalo is success with their 2014 and 2015 picks they can use those prospect and young players they have to get some key young players.

Preliminary results seems Buffalo has hit on Compher, Hurley, Baptiste, Possler, and Florentino. Say the next 2 drafts they hit on 5 players in the 2nd-7th round in each draft.

they would have 15 players that are better than the value of the pick used.

They could trade 3 or 4 of these players for a Toffoli/Saad type who looks like a top line player.

You may think teams wouldnt do it---but what about when they are a 4yr pro and arbitration eligible and thus cant afford to resign him given the cap and committment with other players. It will eventually become a trade off.

The team has to be smart on who to keep and who to trade. I have mentioned this before. Buffalo will have a ton of players coming out around the same time joining the team being very competitive for reoster spots. Thus they will have to decide who they keep and who they dont.

The ones they dont should be good enough to be traded and get in return either younger prospects, missing 1st line pieces, or future picks in the 1st-3rd round.

For example lets say Buffalo had a player like Ennis who is an RFA after the year, but this was a few years in the future when Buffalo has the 2013-2015 picks 20-23 yrs old who want to play in the NHL. Buffalo will say Ennis is good but is he worth resigning given the prospect pool they have below him. They will opt to trade him instead of resigning him and bring in either a missing piece, future prospects, or draft picks. the question would be can ennis be replaceable by the players below him?

When it comes to Buffalo's defense...if they draft well they likely could use their depth at defense to then trade the depth for decent players.

If the team things Ehrhoff, Myers, Zadorov, and Ristolainen are the top 4 Dmen from 2015-2016 for the next 4 years then the team can move Pysyk, McNabb, and McCabe for top 6 players.

the bottom pairing Dmen can be acquired as UFAs or through minor trades as serviceable Dmen.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
11/24 BUF vs DET* -- List of scouts at FNC: BOS, CBJ, CHI, COL, DET, EDM, LAK, MTL, OTT, PHI, STL, TOR, WPG.
[sub]* Note: This was one of two games around the NHL on Sunday[/sub]

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres lines at practice: Moulson-Hodgson-Stafford. Ennis-Leino-Ott. Adam-Grigorenko-Girgensons. Tropp-Flynn-Foligno.

@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres D at practice: Tallinder-Myers. Weber-McBain. Alternating pairings are Ehrhoff, McNabb, Pysyk, Sulzer.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres lines at practice: Moulson-Hodgson-Stafford. Ennis-Leino-Ott. Adam-Grigorenko-Girgensons. Tropp-Flynn-Foligno.

@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres D at practice: Tallinder-Myers. Weber-McBain. Alternating pairings are Ehrhoff, McNabb, Pysyk, Sulzer.

Looks like Pysyk and Sulzer may take seat.

I really wish Girgs would get a shot with Hodgson/Stafford.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Ted Nolan Press Conference (11/25/13)
[NHL]494298[/NHL]
Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Monday's practice at First Niagara Center.

Sabres In :90 (11/25/13)
[NHL]494315[/NHL]
Dan Dunleavy recaps Monday's practice at First Niagara Center.

Brian Flynn Interview (11/25/13)
[NHL]494316[/NHL]
Brian Flynn speaks with the media following Monday's practice at First Niagara Center.

Drew Stafford Interview (11/25/13)
[NHL]494318[/NHL]
Drew Stafford speaks with the media following Monday's practice at First Niagara Center.

Mike Weber Interview (11/25/13)
[NHL]494319[/NHL]
Mike Weber speaks with the media following Monday's practice at First Niagara Center.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Rosti Klesla on waivers. Mmmmmm.... rosti.

Roesti.jpg

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Klesla is an impending UFA.

So it would only make sense if the Sabres felt they could flip him at the deadline...BUT they wouldn't be able to just trade him if other teams also put in claims, which would seem to be a reasonable assumption. They'd have to first offer Klesla up to those teams before they could deal him as a rental.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Klesla is an impending UFA.

So it would only make sense if the Sabres felt they could flip him at the deadline...BUT they wouldn't be able to just trade him if other teams also put in claims, which would seem to be a reasonable assumption. They'd have to first offer Klesla up to those teams before they could deal him as a rental.

I dont know if that was the case....

I would ave t look at the specific rules on trading a payer yu got from waiver claims in the same season.

sure there would be grounds if the immediatly claimed him then traded him.

If he is on Buffalo until early March and then traded him does the waiver claims made now matter

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In literally any other year I'd be screaming "claim the guy," but I just don't see where he fits unless Weber is done as a Sabre.

I hate to admit that I'm in the same space of ambivelence about the roster. (I also thought it was a good place to put a picture of rosti. Mmmmmm.... rosti.)

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Luke Adam Interview (11/26/13)
[NHL]495293[/NHL]
Luke Adam speaks with the media following Tuesday's practice at First Niagara Center.

Matt Moulson Interview (11/26/13)
[NHL]495296[/NHL]
Matt Moulson speaks with the media following Tuesday's practice at First Niagara Center.

Ville Leino Interview (11/26/13)
[NHL]495294[/NHL]
Ville Leino speaks with the media following Tuesday's practice at First Niagara Center.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Matthew Coller of WGR: Nolan finds chemistry with 'Age Group' line

Buffalo Sabres' interim head coach Ted Nolan now knows everyone's name. During the first few games, he quipped, he was forced to say “hey you!†on the bench. Now he's got it though. And now he can start hunting for players' skill sets that gel together.

At a glance, putting 19-year-old Mikhail Grigorenko with 19-year-old Zemgus Girgensons and 23-year-old Luke Adam on a line might appear to be the antithesis of what Nolan griped over when he took the reins from Ron Rolston. The Sabres' interim honcho said he was partial to the veteran players and felt it unfair that under-20s had to face the league's best.

But he's been forced per the NHL to give Grigorenko a shot – they rejected Buffalo's attempt to send him to Rochester for a few weeks.

“Anyone can see his skill set,†Nolan said following Tuesday's practice. “He's a big man and has a tremendous shot. It all comes down to maturity before he'll be able to demonstrate the skill at the National Hockey League level.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Another deal coming? The Amerks just signed Sauer to a PTO. Miller moving? Or is that my lack of coffee talking? :biglaugh:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
D'AGOSTINI READY FOR ANOTHER NEW OPPORTUNITY, WILL PLAY WITH LEINO AND OTT

Video of Dunleavy Recap, Nolan Presser, and D'Agostini linked.

A day after being claimed off waivers, Matt D’Agostini was on the ice with his new club, the Buffalo Sabres, shaking hands and getting to know some of his new teammates.

D’Agostini had been waived by the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday and had to wait until noon Wednesday to find out if he’d be on his way to the minors or another NHL city.

“[Pittsburgh] told me the news and then you have the most anxious 24 hours of your life,†D’Agostini said after Buffalo’s optional practice Thursday at First Niagara Center. “Again, that’s just the way it goes in this sport. Guys come and go so I’m excited about my opportunity.â€

Buffalo is D’Agostini’s fourth NHL club in the past two years. St. Louis traded him to New Jersey last season – where he played with Sabres defenseman Henrik Tallinder – and he signed a one-year contract with the Penguins this summer.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Any interest in obtaining Evander Kane?

So many positives about his game that I love.

Whispers of being team cancer that I don't love.

Not sure I want to improve the team too soon in the midst of rebuild.

I'd love to get him but at the same time I wouldn't ..haha

But for ***** and giggles ... what would you give for Kane.?

If I decided I wanted him..I think Id offer Islanders 1st , Grigs , Ehrhoff

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Any interest in obtaining Evander Kane?

So many positives about his game that I love.

Whispers of being team cancer that I don't love.

Not sure I want to improve the team too soon in the midst of rebuild.

I'd love to get him but at the same time I wouldn't ..haha

But for ***** and giggles ... what would you give for Kane.?

If I decided I wanted him..I think Id offer Islanders 1st , Grigs , Ehrhoff

I don't think he makes a lot of sense considering where we are in the rebuild and the type of assets it's take to get him. I could see him traded to a team like Philly for Brayden Schenn+.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think he makes a lot of sense considering where we are in the rebuild and the type of assets it's take to get him. I could see him traded to a team like Philly for Brayden Schenn+.

You are probably correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad