Roster Speculation 2013-2014 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So the one thing to watch up to the LaFontaine takeover was the progress of the kids. I think the focus now will be on the progress of the younger players -- Hodgson, Myers, Ennis as well as Girgensons and any of the possible Amerk recalls.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC 2m
Brayden McNabb and Luke Adam are practicing with the #Amerks. So are Alex Sulzer, Phil Varone and Kevin Porter.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So the one thing to watch up to the LaFontaine takeover was the progress of the kids. I think the focus now will be on the progress of the younger players -- Hodgson, Myers, Ennis as well as Girgensons and any of the possible Amerk recalls.

This is exactly what I think. Let's see what we have in the "older kids"....CoHo, Ennis, Adam, McNabb, Myers, Foligno, Pysyk, Flynn.....before plugging the "younger kids" into much meaningful ice time.

Girgensons I can understand....Risto I would have understood.

No reason for Zads or Grigo to be here. Larsson....needs to develop his offense more.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
‏@kevinoDandC

#Sabres sliced Ristolainen, Grigorenko and Larsson off roster, adding Weber from IR and apparently Kaleta. Gives them 22. Maybe all for now?

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 50s
No line rushes yet at morning skate. We'll have some roster news to share shortly. #Sabres

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If Regier was still here and they sent Mikhail back to the Q, I think it could have been bad bad news. But with a completely new regime coming in, it's possibly for them to do this without ruining the relationship the team has with Mikhail.

They can go to him and say "Sorry Mikhail, it was a mistake and unfair to you to expect you to come play in the NHL right away. We want to do what's best for your career." Might it back fire? Sure.

Listening to Nolan on WGR, he could communicate a strong personal message about development to these prospects. Nolan talked about Jordan moving away at 15 and it was too young. He had to come back home to play with players his own age. Best thing for his development. He is now in the NHL.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@kevinoDandC

So to recap: Patrick Kaleta missed practice with the #Amerks due to doctor visit for lower body injury. Doubtful for Wednesday vs. WBS...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Whoever they recall to fill out additional roster spots don't know yet from the way Nolan's morning presser sounded.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Anyone else getting the feeling that we may go with the Florida route this off season and sign a bunch of journeymen fillers for 2 or 3 years so that we can slide in 1 at most 2 rookies a year for the next few years as opposed to 3 or 4 which is what would have to happen given the amount of roster spots in the coming years?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I know Pegula was encouraging his organization to take risks, but they never should have taken Grigorenko at 12. They talked to Roy, who was struggling with Grigorenko's work ethic at the time.

Devine will help orient LaFontaine. I think the new GM will be more involved with the draft than Darcy was.

They should have taken BPA (Teravainen or Hertl?). I know, hindsight is wonderful.... and I'm sure I'll change my mind in ten years.

This reads a lot like revisionist history to me. Grigorenko was pretty much the highest rated guy when Buffalo picked, it's not like he was a reach by any means. Hertl and Teravainen fell to 17 and 18. It's not like they were immediately scooped up after Grigorenko got picked. Hertl's inclusion especially seems to be influenced by his success so far this season, and not at all related to how he was rated when the draft actually happened.

I absolutely disagree...Grigorenko was the BPA when they drafted. Remember he was ranked in the top 2 in January 2012.

Anyone else getting the feeling that we may go with the Florida route this off season and sign a bunch of journeymen fillers for 2 or 3 years so that we can slide in 1 at most 2 rookies a year for the next few years as opposed to 3 or 4 which is what would have to happen given the amount of roster spots in the coming years?

I would prefer not to. Id rather go with younger players than journeyman forwards. If they trade many of the UFAs, buy out Leino, then they likely will sign a few UFAs just to get above the floor the next 2 yrs.

In this day and age with 27 being the UFA year...Id rather go with the youth over going with journeyman. With the lowering of the age you cant have players sit in the AHL for 4 years before making the step up. that will yield to poor cap management.

You dont have the cap to create an all veteran team anymore. You need the youth on ELCs to balance out the higher cap hits.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
They had to take the chance they took with Grigorenko, and moving up for Girgensons was a nice bit of insurance. I don't have an issue with the decision given what we knew at the time. Hell, I don't even have much of an issue with that decision now.

Anyway, moving completely on, what are people's thoughts on Brayden Schenn's rumored availability?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
They had to take the chance they took with Grigorenko, and moving up for Girgensons was a nice bit of insurance. I don't have an issue with the decision given what we knew at the time. Hell, I don't even have much of an issue with that decision now.

Anyway, moving completely on, what are people's thoughts on Brayden Schenn's rumored availability?

Two thoughts

1) would love to try and get him

2) Homer is an idiot

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

The question is why Schenn is available.

a) Philly wants to package him for a better talent (as the Kings did for Richards), in which case the Sabres would only be in play if Holmgren really wanted Miller
b) Schenn is available because there are questions about his development so far and whether he will become the top line talent they are hoping
c) Holmgren is Holmgren. This factor cannot be understated.

If the answer is c, then the Sabres need to jump all over it.

If it is b, I'll admit I haven't followed Schenn enough to know how his development has come along, but anytime a team looks willing to give up on a highly touted prospect it's a red flag.

If it is a, it likely doesn't matter whether we would want him or not. Though Holmgren could panic and try to get Miller, because of answer c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad