Roster speculation 16-17 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Talk to a Panthers fan about how they feel about Jagr being on Barkov's line this year.

ya because talking to a losing team's fans is usually the best place for unbiased opinions

anyone been in the Reinhart benched thread recently?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
London one game away from being eliminated, if they go out Cliff Pu can get a bunch of games in Rochester.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The player who is really captain material is McCabe. He looks and carries himself like a Marine, tough and disciplined. He captained the University of Wisconsin and captained the gold medal winning USA WJC team.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
The player who is really captain material is McCabe. He looks and carries himself like a Marine, tough and disciplined. He captained the University of Wisconsin and captained the gold medal winning USA WJC team.

I actually agree with you...but I don't see him having a shot at it with the likes of O'Reilly and Eichel as his competition. I'd love to see McCabe get an A. He's been good this year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
ya because talking to a losing team's fans is usually the best place for unbiased opinions

anyone been in the Reinhart benched thread recently?

Yes because no fan ever would say what their impressions of a player are simply based on the record of the team they root for. I'm sure this will keep Sabre fans from commenting on any recent ex-Sabres on the main boards because the team record is just such *****. :biglaugh: Sure.

As someone who gets Panthers games as regional, Jagr is done. He would not help even if he was willing to move to B'lo.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
watching hockey with my buddy the Canucks fan, he suggested these trades:

Kane and our 1st for Tanev and a 2nd

and

Reinhart,Kane, 1st for Tavares

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Both are terrible. Kane for Tanev is more then enough, let alone trading a top 8 pick for a pick in the mid 30s. And Reinhart, Kane and a top 8 pick for a 70-75 point center with one year left? No thanks. This is a weak draft. We can get a solid top 6/top 4 D prospect with our first. The second round isn't bringing in a top prospect. Tanev for a top 8 pick alone is bad. 7 years of team control of a top prospect or acquiring a dman in his late 20s who misses several games every year.

Tanev in Buffalo will be out of the lineup as much as Bogosian. Tanev misses numerous games every single year. No thanks. If I'm trading premium assets I want players who will actually be in the lineup most of the time...or has Kulikov and Bogosian not been enough warning or acquiring fragile dmen.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011

and

I don't think the value is bad for either trade. But those are pieces I just personally want to keep. Getting Tavares would be awesome, but we already have Eichel and ROR. I'd rather address what we need rather than try to land a big fish.

Defense. Defense. Defense.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

and

couldnt do the second because i would have already done the 1st

I think the second is the more interesting trade. Tavares is better then the 3 assets going back. He's a guaranteed impact player in a way that Kane and Reinhart aren't. Him and Eichel as a 1/2 could quite possibly be the top offense punch in the league with McDavid and Draisaitl. He'll also be 27 by the start of next season. He doesn't fix the D problem. He's not a noteworthy defensive player. Reinhart is a huge asset to move without a Dman coming back and the second and third best assets for acquiring a Dman are Kane and the 1st. So you've effectively eliminated the chance that you are getting a top pairing Dman in a trade. Whether there are top pairing Dmen who are actually available is an entire wrinkle on its own, but if there aren't, then skipping out on another 1st round dman also seems like a terrible idea. Finally, giving up on Reinhart being at least an RNH caliber player after his second year isn't the safest move we could make. It's a move that prioritizes offense over defense and that's not how the NHL is played these days.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I agree with Layne. Overpayment even if Tavares resigns.
You can reunite Tavares okposo, and play eichel -o'reilly. Or go 3 deep at center.
But you can do both of those scenarios with Reinhardt for less cap.
No disrespect to Tavares' value, but I'd rather stay younger especially knowing the D still needs to be fixed.
Jettisoning Bylsma is worth 10 points in the standings regardless of the defense's foibles.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Both are terrible. Kane for Tanev is more then enough, let alone trading a top 8 pick for a pick in the mid 30s. And Reinhart, Kane and a top 8 pick for a 70-75 point center with one year left? No thanks. This is a weak draft. We can get a solid top 6/top 4 D prospect with our first. The second round isn't bringing in a top prospect. Tanev for a top 8 pick alone is bad. 7 years of team control of a top prospect or acquiring a dman in his late 20s who misses several games every year.

Tanev in Buffalo will be out of the lineup as much as Bogosian. Tanev misses numerous games every single year. No thanks. If I'm trading premium assets I want players who will actually be in the lineup most of the time...or has Kulikov and Bogosian not been enough warning or acquiring fragile dmen.

you may think Kane is worth Tanev, nobody else in the hockey world does.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I don't do the Tavares deal, but I would trade our 1st and Kane for Tanev provided the 1st is lottery protected for the first 3 slots.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I don't do the Tavares deal, but I would trade our 1st and Kane for Tanev provided the 1st is lottery protected for the first 3 slots.

While I don't wanna come across as crazy about kane as la Costa Nostra but that's too much for me...I'd pass.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I like Kane a lot and think he could repeat the year he's had. I've noticed that he's cooled down a bit recently. I think being relevant in the playoff race motivated him. People will continue to lean on the fact that all his goals gave come in the last 3 months or however long, but I don't believe he can truly keep up that pace. I'd be looking to package him for defense help. But then again I've been so back and forth on him this year. While his speed and physical play are true assets, it's not enough for me to give him the money he wants.

I am NOT an advocate of him playing out his contract and walking for free. Murray needs to obtain an asset or two if he's sure Kane is going to test free agency. I definitely don't want him to try and outbid other teams to keep his services.

Edit: didn't want my post to sound contradictory. I think he is capable of keeping up his scoring pace, but I don't know that he will. He's been fun to watch this year. But I hope if Murray thinks the time has come to move on that he will do what's best for the franchise.

Last edited:

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Throwing my 2 cents to the defense discussion...

According to Friedman Vancouver were open to trading Edler/Tanev, but they ultimately decided not to, because they do not want to throw their younger d-men to too harsh situation.

I think that the Kane trade to Vancouver is still brewing there. But I think the problem there is that Vancouver doesn't want to leave a hole size of Tanev. That's why I think that if the deal is going to happen, it will involve one ready d-man from our side as well. Only logical option would be Bogo. But Bogo + Kane could be too much for Tanev. Basically it would mean upgrading Bogo to Tanev with a price of Kane.

I think that somehow realistic yet still a bit of pipedream scenario would a defense like this:

McCabe/Kulikov- Risto
Alzner - Tanev
McCabe/Kulikov - Antipin
Gorges/Falk

Pairing of Alzner - Tanev likely would be as close as we can realistically get to a legit shutdown pairing. That would leave Risto and his partner to a more offensive minded role. Many people have hoped for that scenario. I personally don't see that mandatory, but with that kind of shutdown pairing you could at least give it a shot.

I'm not expecting Kulikov to actually re-sign, but with his fellow countryman (Antipin) reportedly coming, he might considering taking one year extension in order to prove his worth when healthy. If he doesn't, Guhle might be ready to take his spot. But I rather slow cook Guhle than force him to the line-up.

Salary wise that d-corp would look something like this:

1,6 mil - 5,4 mil
5,5 mil - 4,45 mil
4 mil - 0,950 mil
3,9 mil

Even with Gorges on the books it would be 25,15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad