Roster speculation 16-17 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
What's the timeline on KHL playoffs? Would be cool if he could come over for a game by season end.

He can't regardless of playoffs. Players who spend part of the season overseas, and aren't on an NHL club's reserve list, have to go through waivers

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Just retain half the salary on gorges' contract and trade him to whoever wants him.

It would be addition by subtraction.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I hope Gorges and Ennis/Moulson just get buried for the 1 mil savings and we sign a couple D to round out the bottom and not gift Guhle a spot. Don't need to trade them if it'll cost us to do so.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Just retain half the salary on gorges' contract and trade him to whoever wants him.

It would be addition by subtraction.

What's the point? His contract only runs one more season, and it expires before any Eichel/Reinhart extension kick in. Cap wise they aren't in a rush to move him especially if it would cost assets just to dump him. Play wise, yes it's a good move because he's a negative impact player but it's doubtful Murray can rehaul a blueline replacing half of it with better players then the ones they are replacing.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
There is ZERO reason to trade or buy out Gorges unless Vegas by the grace of God takes him.

Yes he's a negative impact player. He's bad. Bury him as the 7th D and call it a day. There's no reason to buy him out and eat his cap space for two years. There's no reason to spend a 2-3rd pick to trade him. We are not needing the cap space until after his contract expires.

Giving assets away to clear cap space we don't need (yet) is bad asset management. If Gorges plays the 6/7 role next year I will be content. If he plays top four minutes and 70 games I'll be a little upset.

It's been beaten to a pulp that this team needs an overhaul on d. Everyone knows it. I'm not sure Franson gets brought back. Paul Hamilton says (allegedly) Kulikov hates it in Buffalo, so if that's true, what are the chances he gets brought back?

There's two defensemen gone right there. Antipin? The guy can maybe play in the NHL? Then we have Falk And Fedun... not very promising.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
There is ZERO reason to trade or buy out Gorges unless Vegas by the grace of God takes him.

Yes he's a negative impact player. He's bad. Bury him as the 7th D and call it a day. There's no reason to buy him out and eat his cap space for two years. There's no reason to spend a 2-3rd pick to trade him. We are not needing the cap space until after his contract expires.

Giving assets away to clear cap space we don't need (yet) is bad asset management. If Gorges plays the 6/7 role next year I will be content. If he plays top four minutes and 70 games I'll be a little upset.

It's been beaten to a pulp that this team needs an overhaul on d. Everyone knows it. I'm not sure Franson gets brought back. Paul Hamilton says (allegedly) Kulikov hates it in Buffalo, so if that's true, what are the chances he gets brought back?

There's two defensemen gone right there. Antipin? The guy can maybe play in the NHL? Then we have Falk And Fedun... not very promising.

Well, you have $2.6m in savings next season, and $1.3m in dead money in 2018-19. The question for Murray is whether the $2.6m in savings next year is worth the $1.3m in dead money the following year.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

I agree. Its also a potential PR nightmare.

If hes the 7th dman to start the year I'm fine with it. There's not really any organization changing dmen out there in free agency to worry about cap space on anyways. I hope to hell we stay far away from Shattenkirk...

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Well, you have $2.6m in savings next season, and $1.3m in dead money in 2018-19. The question for Murray is whether the $2.6m in savings next year is worth the $1.3m in dead money the following year.

TBH no. It's too late to mess around on cap friendly but given that Eichel will be getting a big contract after next year, I want maximum flexibility regarding the cap in 2018-19.

There is not really any FA defensemen I would want to sign this year. I think the best route is to give maximum cap flexibility going forward. The Sabres are going to have a good amount of high contracts on the roster after next year in Eichel, ROR, Okposo, Risto and maybe Kane if he re-signs. That ~1.3m in 2018 could be veteran depth.

I know it's really a small portion of the cap but given how NHL contracts work regarding the even spacing of cap hits I would like to Sabres to have their options open longer term.

The only thing that sucks is the buyout window closes before the official expansion picks are in so it's not like Buffalo could know for sure if they could trade with Vegas for a defenseman and buyout Gorges

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
TBH no. It's too late to mess around on cap friendly but given that Eichel will be getting a big contract after next year, I want maximum flexibility regarding the cap in 2018-19.

There is not really any FA defensemen I would want to sign this year. I think the best route is to give maximum cap flexibility going forward. The Sabres are going to have a good amount of high contracts on the roster after next year in Eichel, ROR, Okposo, Risto and maybe Kane if he re-signs. That ~1.3m in 2018 could be veteran depth.

I know it's really a small portion of the cap but given how NHL contracts work regarding the even spacing of cap hits I would like to Sabres to have their options open longer term.

The only thing that sucks is the buyout window closes before the official expansion picks are in so it's not like Buffalo could know for sure if they could trade with Vegas for a defenseman and buyout Gorges

I'm not worried about $1.3m in 2018-19, and I want to make the playoffs next year. Gorges' dead cap money isn't going to keep us from re-signing Jack and Sam. Plus, I'm confident we'll be able to dump one or both of Ennis and Moulson prior to 2018-19. Gorges is one of the 10 worst regular defensemen in the NHL. I don't want Bylsma, or any coach, being tempted to play him because he's a grizzled NHL vet.

Ideally, we trade him. Failing that, I would buy him out.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm not worried about $1.3m in 2018-19, and I want to make the playoffs next year. Gorges' dead cap money isn't going to keep us from re-signing Jack and Sam. Plus, I'm confident we'll be able to dump one or both of Ennis and Moulson prior to 2018-19. Gorges is one of the 10 worst regular defensemen in the NHL. I don't want Bylsma, or any coach, being tempted to play him because he's a grizzled NHL vet.

I honestly wouldn't be suprised to see him get claimed. He's a good leader. McPhee is the same GM who gave Orpik that giant contract. I could see the logic being "he's a pending UFA and good leader. limit his exposure on a bottom pair and flip him for an asset at the trade deadline"

Though, I think Ennis is probably the pick. An easily escapable contract via buyout for a potential top 6 forward.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Why not just put him on waivers?

You save ~900k in cap space if he clears, you create the slim chance that someone claims him, you have no dead cap space in the future.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Why not just put him on waivers?

You save ~900k in cap space if he clears, you create the slim chance that someone claims him, you have no dead cap space in the future.

Do you envision Murray do that? Because I don't. Nor do I think he buys Gorges out.

I'm hoping we have a enough good options that he doesn't play a ton.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Do you envision Murray do that? Because I don't. Nor do I think he buys Gorges out.

That's my guess. McCabe and Antipin will hopefully take up two LHD spots. If we acquire another, that should make Gorges the 7th or 8th guy. When Murray was last on WGR he spoke of getting younger faster and more skilled on defense. That to me speaks directly to a guy like Gorges being a 7th defenseman.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

I could see a New Years move to open a roster space if Guhle is in Rochester and Gorges looks like Craig Rivet

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
My prediction is Kane will be traded to Vegas for Jonas Brodin in some packaged deal. Bump when it happens.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Despite the reports of him hating it here I think they're gonna bring Kulikov back on a 1 year deal. His stock is at an all time low right now, so it gives him 1 more year to prove himself on an up and coming team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/03/30/announcing-the-hobey-hat-trick-aston-reese-butcher-vecchione/

Butcher, a 22-year-old defenseman, had seven goals and 29 assists in 41 games for the Frozen Four-headed Pioneers. A fifth-round pick of the Avalanche in 2013, Butcher is still unsigned and is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent Aug. 15. It remains to be seen if the Avs will offer him a contract, though it’s been reported they will.

I wonder if he is a guy that Murray tries to sign if he hits UFA?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Despite the reports of him hating it here I think they're gonna bring Kulikov back on a 1 year deal. His stock is at an all time low right now, so it gives him 1 more year to prove himself on an up and coming team.

I think it's smart, but Kulikov would be smart to look around for a better team on a 1 year deal.

I would offer 2-3 years at his current cap hit if they are able to move Bogo out. Kulikov can play RD as well.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/03/30/ncaa-standout-foo-leaving-school-will-sign-nhl-deal-this-summer/

Foo has reportedly drawn interest from the Flyers. There have also been rumblings of the Oilers being in the mix — Foo is an Edmonton native — but it appears nearly every team has some level of interest. Consider this, from LA Kings Insider:

The Kings are among the teams involved in [Foo’s] courtship, and asked where the stiffest competition was coming from, I was told, “about 29 other teams.â€

Foo is an undrafted free agent, so there’s no real rush for him to make a decision. Sounds like NHL teams are more than willing to wait it out.

If Murray were to sign him the Foo to Pu jokes would be flying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad